Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#872718 - 12/13/07 09:58 PM FACT Act Identity Theft Program
NewTooBSA Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I have been reading the above Final Rule that was just passed and wanted to know if this needs to be included in the BSA Policy. So far I have not addressed this in our BSA Policy as I felt like it should be addressed in the Branch Operations but the more I see and read about it, the more I think it should be addressed in the BSA Policy also.

This sections is the part that makes me consider adding a section in my policy:

The Final Rule provides the basis for financial institutions to formally prepare to adopt an "Identity Theft Program". The elements included in the Final Rule for establishing this Program require each institution to evaluate the following:
1. Which of its accounts are subject to risk of identity theft;
2. The methods it provides to open these accounts;
3. The methods it provides to access these accounts:
4. Its size, location and customer base; and
5. Its previous experiences with identity theft.

Based on these elements, each financial institution will be expected to conduct a risk assessment.

How has everyone else handled this so far. How does this impact BSA or does it?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#872825 - 12/14/07 12:00 AM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program NewTooBSA
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
We're still analyzing the impact of the rule on our institution, however, I'm not planning on incorporating the ID theft red flag rules into our AML policy. Sure, they might intersect, but I think the regulatory requirements are two different animals.

Return to Top
#873893 - 12/14/07 11:37 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program homestar
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
I talked with someone at Sheshnoff (sp?) & they said it IS going to effect BSA/AML ...

anyother thoughts ?

Return to Top
#873923 - 12/15/07 01:42 AM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program WonderWoman
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I was looking for a list of the Red Flags.
Can anyone direct me to that?

Return to Top
#874011 - 12/16/07 09:51 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program MagicCity
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Mary Beth Guard and Jack Holzknecht recently did a webinar on the new Red Flag ID Theft and Address Change Guidelines. Copies are available on CD-ROM in the Banker Store.

They are also offering a webinar on Implementing the Guidelines on January 8, 2008.

The agencies included a starter list of Red Flags in Supplement A to Appendix J to Regulation V.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#876281 - 12/19/07 09:06 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program John Burnett
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com had some really great information and all sorts of links for the new requirements.

It seems like a Program monster of it's own (similar to BSA/CIP/OFAC ...etc ... policies).

I'm going to tackle it exactly how I tackled the others. Risk Asses, Train, Board Approve ... etc ...

Is this how everyone else is going about it?

Return to Top
#876293 - 12/19/07 09:13 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program WonderWoman
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Originally Posted By: (not as) newbsa
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com had some really great information and all sorts of links for the new requirements.

It seems like a Program monster of it's own (similar to BSA/CIP/OFAC ...etc ... policies).

I'm going to tackle it exactly how I tackled the others. Risk Asses, Train, Board Approve ... etc ...

Is this how everyone else is going about it?

Well, probably not the "Risk Asses" part!

Return to Top
#876375 - 12/19/07 10:58 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program Ted Dreyer
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
HAH! sorry 'bout that

Return to Top
#876378 - 12/19/07 11:01 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program WonderWoman
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Originally Posted By: (not as) newbsa
I talked with someone at Sheshnoff (sp?) & they said it IS going to effect BSA/AML ...

anyother thoughts ?

Did they tell you why? I just don't see it. AML is AML and FCRA is FCRA. If anyone knows something I'm missing, please speak up.

Return to Top
#876395 - 12/19/07 11:15 PM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program homestar
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
I don't know - he might have been just trying to sell me something ...

but see it as "Identity Theft" is a section on a SAR - so as the BSA Officer, I would need to be tuned in and cross reference a section in my BSA/CIP Policies that would direct you to the Identity Theft Policy.

Am I on the wrong train track?

Return to Top
#876429 - 12/20/07 04:10 AM Re: FACT Act Identity Theft Program WonderWoman
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
I don't think it's a matter of being on the right track. If you want to cover it as part of your BSA policies, I don't think that's wrong, but I'd include it under suspicious activity monitoring activities rather than CIP. But if I would mention it in my BSA policy, I think I'd address the red flag monitoring in my FCRA policy and simply cross reference my BSA policy to the FCRA policy.

I'm struggling a little with thinking of red flag monitoring as a CIP issue. CIP is handled when an account is opened. Once it's done, it's done. I do, agree, however, than ID theft issues might cause you to question how well you do know your customer. But that's a problem that can be handled as a problem of it's own, rather than becoming a CIP problem.

It's true that SARs should be filed for suspected cases of ID theft, but I don't think every SAR issue is BSA related. But there's certainly nothing wrong (in my mind) with covering your SAR policy under your overall BSA policies. That's one way to do it.

Again, I'm just thinking this through, so if anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z