Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#915756 - 03/05/08 09:37 PM ATM deposits - IRD returned as not acceptable ?
gwendelahara Offline
gwendelahara
Pennsy
Fellow Bankers,

WE had a customer redeposit an IRD which was returned previously as NSF. They redeposited it at a foreign bank's ATM that they often make their deposits at. I received the IRD back with a note "It's not acceptable through the ATM". Is this a rule, and if so where do I find more info about it?

Thanks,
Gwen

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#915760 - 03/05/08 09:38 PM Re: ATM deposits - IRD returned as not acceptable ? gwendelahara
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can make deposits at a foreign bank's ATM?

Return to Top
#915779 - 03/05/08 09:49 PM Re: ATM deposits - IRD returned as not acceptable ?
gwendelahara Offline
gwendelahara
Pennsy
yes, we are on STAR's network, and we are a small bank so there are limited options for ourfurther away customers - we allow foreign customers to deposit into our ATMs, and they do the same for us (well, some do, some don't)

Return to Top
#915787 - 03/05/08 09:52 PM Re: ATM deposits - IRD returned as not acceptable ? gwendelahara
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Foreign in this case doesn't mean "foreign." It means "not ours."

Although substitute checks are the legal equivalent of the originals from which they are derived, any bank can refuse to accept a check for deposit, including a substitute check.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#915920 - 03/06/08 12:03 AM Re: ATM deposits - IRD returned as not acceptable ? John Burnett
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Check your exhange agreement and see if the deposit of substitute checks are addressed. If not - they may have violated your agreement and you need to point that out. This of course is unless you really don't want them to accept them which IMHO is not a bad idea.

Return to Top
#916288 - 03/06/08 04:56 PM Re: ATM deposits - IRD returned as not acceptable ? rlcarey
gwendelahara Offline
gwendelahara
Pennsy
Thank you for your answers, it all makes sense to me now..

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett