Counterfeit cashier's checks of Hatboro Federal Savings
Hatboro Federal Savings
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks using the bank’s vendor routing number of 103100551 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with secret shopper and online purchase scams.
The counterfeit checks may be identified by the following traits:
- The check is light-blue in color with a marbled background.
- The check contains a dark top border with the following security statement: “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE 13 SECURITY FEATURES.”
- A heat-sensitive shield is located in the bottom-center portion of the check.
- The check does not contain the bank’s telephone number of (215) 675-4000.
- The remitter account number above the signature line appears as “110045721.”
All checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts from $900 to $67,990.
Potential victims of the secret shopping scam have received correspondence accompanying the check, which contains the letterhead of “SECRETSHOPPERS.” The correspondence instructs the potential victims to either deposit the funds into his or her bank account or to cash the check at his or her financial institution. The letter further instructs the recipient to retain a small portion of the funds as payment and transportation allowance. The remaining amount is to be used for a small purchase at a well-known department store with the majority of funds wired to the perpetrators for the purported purpose of the victim surveying the services of a money transfer service. Contact information pertaining to this scam may be [email@example.com] or [firstname.lastname@example.org]. The following statement appears at the bottom of the letter: “Remember, you are a mystery shopper. You are EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN to disclose the information to anyone.”