National Bank of Blacksburg counterfeit cashier's checks
National Bank of Blacksburg
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks using the bank’s routing number of 051403122 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a variety of online auction and job opportunity scams.
While the counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic items, they may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks are light blue with a marbled background and contain a darker blue top border.
- The top border contains the following security statement: “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE 10 SECURITY FEATURES.”
- The check number appears faded in the upper right-hand corner.
- A heat sensitive hologram security feature appears in the bottom center portion of the check encircled by the statement “HEAT SENSITIVE SHIELD. FADES WITH HEAT OR TOUCH.”
- The remitter name may be “Nancy Wilson” or “Christel Johnson.”
Checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts between $1,250 and $7,350 and have been signed by Evelyn Sutherland.
Correspondence received regarding the fictitious job opportunity may be received via Priority Mail and contain the letterhead of “The Brant Group.” Checks received with this correspondence are made payable for $2,450. Recipients are told to send a text message of “EXERCISE RECEIVED” to (281) 215-5416 or (281) 612-9912 to confirm receipt of the check. Potential victims are then instructed to deposit the counterfeit check and text the words “DRAFT LODGED” to the same numbers. Upon confirmation of funds availability, the recipient is to then text the words “TOTAL SUM OF $2450 READY” and include his or her name. The scammers will then text further instructions regarding the mystery shopping scam. Recipients are also told that they will be allowed to retain $250 as a salary for the assignment. The letter is signed by a “Mike Donald, Task Supervisor.” An email address of [mmikecompany10@aol] is provided.