Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2079600 - 05/20/16 03:20 PM Lender/Realtor How would you handle this?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a Loan Officer who is also a full time Realtor, and has their own personal lender that is not affiliated with the bank. Whenever we deny a loan, she sends it to them and their personal lender originates the loan. Also, whenever we make a decision on a loan request (based on LP/DU findings, etc.) she contacts her personal lender to verify if we did it correct and then sends us information about special loan programs that the borrower would fit in (products that we don't offer, but her personal lender does). This information was just disclosed to me, when she questioned our decision on an application. This doesn't sound right to me. Has anyone experienced this before or have any advice on how to handle it?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2079607 - 05/20/16 03:29 PM Re: How would you handle this? Anonymous
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
My first thought is this is a conflict of interest. Perhaps get your HR and legal departments involved for a possible violation of the Bank's Code of Ethics/Conflict of Interest policies (assuming you have one).

Additionally, is she disclosing this to the applicants? Is she sharing NPI with the other lender without the borrower's consent?

#2079609 - 05/20/16 03:30 PM Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I totally agree with happy on this one.

#2079615 - 05/20/16 03:38 PM Re: How would you handle this? Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Unless she has the applicant's expressed written consent to be discussing this with her "personal lender" she has put the bank in the position of violating all sorts of privacy rules.

How would you handle this?

Give her 10 supervised minutes to clean out her office and show her the front door with instructions not to return.

#2079618 - 05/20/16 03:41 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
What does your code of ethics or personnel handbook say about employment outside the bank? There is no need to deal with the specifics if your bank has had the forethought to deal with the larger issue.

#2079724 - 05/20/16 09:53 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Are you an FHA lender??

In 2006, the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) updated its Mortgagee Approval Handbook and said that employees of approved mortgagees “May have other employment including self-employment. However, such outside employment may not be in mortgage lending, real estate or a related field.”

#2079912 - 05/23/16 07:22 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not an FHA Lender. We do Freddie/Fannie loans. This Lender/Realtor also gives her opinion of market value to borrowers and disagrees with the appraisers when the values come in. She has also given borrowers ideas on building additions that would be good for marketability. We have had a few Realtors calling asking if it is a conflict to have her working here as a Lender and the Senior VP is fine with it.

#2079915 - 05/23/16 07:29 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
IMHO this person needs to be shown the door. You are already getting a bad rep with other Relators in the area and from what little you have disclosed the bank is vulnerable for compliance sanctions, possible monetary penalties and law suits.

#2079919 - 05/23/16 08:07 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
This reads bad news. Show them the door.

--Dr. Seuss

#2079936 - 05/23/16 08:43 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Compl101TX Offline
Gold Star
Compl101TX
W. TX
I'm sure you already know this but make sure to document your efforts to get this fixed. If upper management wants to keep her employed then document that too.

And make sure to update us on the outcome, like on what happened after your regulator found out about this.

#2080087 - 05/24/16 06:11 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
Very big conflict of interest. And you will not be getting referrals much longer from your local realtor base and rightfully so.

#2080179 - 05/24/16 08:56 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By Anonymous
Not an FHA Lender. We do Freddie/Fannie loans. This Lender/Realtor also gives her opinion of market value to borrowers and disagrees with the appraisers when the values come in. She has also given borrowers ideas on building additions that would be good for marketability. We have had a few Realtors calling asking if it is a conflict to have her working here as a Lender and the Senior VP is fine with it.

Oh boy. This alone should be enough to shut that "program" down and fast.

#2080849 - 05/27/16 02:51 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Today we found out that the Mortgage Originator is friends with and works professionally as a Realtor with one of the Paralegals at our Attorney's office and scheduled a closing outside of bank hours without informing our Mortgage Closer or any consideration to TRID timelines. She said that they were talking about other business when the borrower came up. We spoke to the Attorney and he didn't like hearing about this and will be talking to the Paralegal. Management doesn't think there is a problem.

#2080870 - 05/27/16 03:34 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
"We spoke to the Attorney and he didn't like hearing about this...."
"Management doesn't think there is a problem"

hhhhmmmm confused confused

Hopefully Management will change their tune when their own attorney gets through talking to them.

Wondering what level of management you're talking about too. I doubt the Board would go along with this.

#2080872 - 05/27/16 03:35 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Frankly, I am shocked that this is allowed by the management. They are inviting all sorts of trouble.

#2080919 - 05/27/16 05:21 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? bOaty
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
What an absolute compliance/ethics rat's nest. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I would be going over some heads here and showing someone the door. I cannot/would not work next to this situation. JMHO

#2081103 - 05/31/16 03:54 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The lunatics are in charge of the asylum. The senior vice president is "all right" with this? This lender is a loose cannon. There's more than enough reason to contact the state board of real estate agents (or similar government body in your state) to report these actions, too. Consumers don't stand a chance when there's someone like that on the loose with a real estate license.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#2081323 - 06/01/16 05:07 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Management doesn't think there is a problem.

You need new management.

#2081899 - 06/04/16 08:51 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I assume from the bank's perspective it gets first crack at the loan and that is why it's OK. But it smacks of privacy issues and at least the appearance of impropriety. What happens when that loan could have been done in the bank, but was denied and referred to his private lender? Are there RESPA referral disclosures being made saying, go here, I can help you another way outside the bank? And when a borrower complains about the product or treatment and was sent there by the bank...

Your management is willing to accept more risk than mine was. There is a lot more to go wrong, than right.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

#2083750 - 06/16/16 02:19 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Today the Lender sent an email with incorrect information that I was included on. When it was mentioned to her that the information was incorrect, her response was "My fingers did not type all of my thoughts". I am not making this up.

#2083784 - 06/16/16 03:59 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Clearly you have a loan officer who does not care. Once again I think you have to have a meeting with your supervisor or the president and discuss the issues.

#2083827 - 06/16/16 06:16 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Anon,

You LO is such a loose cannon, and mgmt. is okay with it; makes you wonder what else is going on that you don't know about.

At best mgmt. wakes up and gets rid of her; at worst you polish up your resume and start looking.

#2085207 - 06/24/16 08:29 PM Re: Lender/Realtor How would you handle this? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

One more from the Mortgage Originator - when it was pointed out that he email contained numerous misspelled words - she said "the computer keys didn't work when she pressed them". LOL. By the way, I will no longer be worried about this stuff as I will not be working with her anymore.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale