Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#351679 - 04/27/05 05:57 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Haha... Z

Personally, I'm shocked no one has weighed in on the fact that I'm 22, a male, and I'm white. I OBVIOUSLY am not qualified to have an opinion on this!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#351680 - 04/27/05 06:01 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
well, obviously getting the cameras out of her face worked. Letting her sit and simmer down, worked... Handcuffing her, obviously overboard. Once again, she was calm when the cops got there. Wasn't that more than enough???

Return to Top
#351681 - 04/27/05 06:05 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

well, obviously getting the cameras out of her face worked. Letting her sit and simmer down, worked... Handcuffing her, obviously overboard. Once again, she was calm when the cops got there. Wasn't that more than enough???

Oh, she was calm then, but, what if she started wigging out again? Perhaps flung something in the eye of a teacher and blinded him/her? Or, if she fell because she was not balanced while she was swinging, and she cracked her skull open? Now, gee, wouldn't the media have had a field day with that as well?

Return to Top
#351682 - 04/27/05 06:05 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
But do you think that she learned anything? Do you think that by letting her calm down after defacing school property and attacking someone would deter her from doing it again? I'm willing to bet that the next time she thinks about acting up, she'll remember what it felt like to have those cuffs on.

I think this is a case where they were looking at dealing with it in the long term rather than the short term. She'll remember it the way it was handled. Letting her "calm down" only condones her actions.

Return to Top
#351683 - 04/27/05 06:06 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
she didn't have anything to fling, and with the cops already there, I'm sure she was terrifyed. Did anyone bother to ask why she was upset, or did they just assume what most of you do, bad parenting??

Return to Top
#351684 - 04/27/05 06:07 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

But do you think that she learned anything? Do you think that by letting her calm down after defacing school property and attacking someone would deter her from doing it again? I'm willing to bet that the next time she thinks about acting up, she'll remember what it felt like to have those cuffs on.

I think this is a case where they were looking at dealing with it in the long term rather than the short term. She'll remember it the way it was handled. Letting her "calm down" only condones her actions.

Ditto

Return to Top
#351685 - 04/27/05 06:09 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Calling the cops on her would help her remember, but cuffing her is gonna scar her. What happens when, god forbid, she is 22 and her boyfriend starts punching her, etc?? She won't call the cops, because of the experience she had when she was 5.

Return to Top
#351686 - 04/27/05 06:13 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Calling the cops on her would help her remember, but cuffing her is gonna scar her. What happens when, god forbid, she is 22 and her boyfriend starts punching her, etc?? She won't call the cops, because of the experience she had when she was 5.

From the type of behavior she displays, the boyfriend had better be the one to know how to call 9-1-1.

Children do not scar as easily as one might think. They are very resilient. I know, I was a child once.

Return to Top
#351687 - 04/27/05 06:15 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Are you trying to tell us that you're not a child anymore DQ??

Return to Top
#351688 - 04/27/05 06:15 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
My daughter acts the way this girl did on a regular basis. She would be scarred. She got bit by a dog on her third birthday, and to this day, the smallest dog terrifies her.

Return to Top
#351689 - 04/27/05 06:17 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I don't have to be informed to know that a 5 year old kid does not need police involvement.

There are some good posts above about kids needing police to keep them in check, but I believe these are HS and JHS kids. Remember that this is a 5 yr. old.

Return to Top
#351690 - 04/27/05 06:19 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Quote:

How do you know that she won't think of a cop as someone who takes care of people who don't act right? She was wrong, and she was hancuffed and taught a lesson. Heaven forbid the situation you described would actually happen, but maybe she'll know that the cops mean business and won't hesitate to call. Assuming that she'll wet herself at the mere thought of a police officer is jumping to conclusions...

Return to Top
#351691 - 04/27/05 06:19 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
An0n Offline
Gold Star
The guards won't tell me.
So, Saphire, how do you believe the stuation should have been handled? I am not a parent and I cannot pass judgement on parents so I'm looking for feedback. It sounds like you discipline your child in a similar manner to how the child on the video was disciplined because you said yourself they act very similarly. I was just wondering how you handle situations when your child starts acting that way.

Return to Top
#351692 - 04/27/05 06:23 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Rie A - great post....I applaud your attitude towards the school and police.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the post.

Return to Top
#351693 - 04/27/05 06:23 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

My daughter acts the way this girl did on a regular basis. She would be scarred. She got bit by a dog on her third birthday, and to this day, the smallest dog terrifies her.

How old is your daughter now?

I was also bitten by a German Shepard when I was 9. I needed 14 stitches in MY HEAD over one ear and had a black eye on the other side. You know what? I don't like dogs, I don't trust dogs, I would never own a dog, but I am not "terrified" of them.

However, I am terrified of examiners, but I was never physically harmed by one.

Return to Top
#351694 - 04/27/05 06:25 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
How do you know she will? She did misbehave, she was punished, but being handcuffed is going WAY TO FAR. SHE IS 5!!! Calling the cops is enough to scare some sense into her that what she did was wrong. I'm sure any normal parent would punish the child at home.

Return to Top
#351695 - 04/27/05 06:26 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I don't have to be informed to know that a 5 year old kid does not need police involvement.

Does the kid need police involvement? Probably not. Does the school need police involvement? Probably, if they want to keep from getting sued.

Return to Top
#351696 - 04/27/05 06:27 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

Quote:

Does the kid need police involvement? Probably not. Does the school need policy involvement? Probably, if they want to keep from getting sued.

Thank you. I agree.

Return to Top
#351697 - 04/27/05 06:32 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
OK, I've sat by silent long enough and now I just have to chime in with my two cents (depending on the exchange rate).

Children who act this way in school put the teacher and the school in a no-win situation. Many people see this teacher's struggle as a lack of ability to control her class. But what can a teacher do? She cannot physically force the child to behave or restrain the child, lest she and the school be sued. The only way to deal with a child who acts this way is to first try to calm her down in a non-threatening verbal way, which she clearly tried. The child remained stubborn, destructive, and violent. Second is to call the parents, which she did. Until a parent can get there, the child still has to be dealt with. Third, she can call proper authorities who have the right and training to properly restrain someone. While the child did not pose a major threat to the teacher, she could have easily injured other students who are her own size, and she could easily injure herself.

As others have stated, merely going on with the day after she has calmed down condones her behavior. A good police scare seems the only way to get through to this particular child. My guess is this is not the first time this child has acted this way. And if she truly has a disorder, syndrome, etc., then why wasn't something done about it before this episode?

Return to Top
#351698 - 04/27/05 06:36 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
OMG!!! How do you know that the girl wasn't getting help?? Being "an angel child" takes time, and work. Let me say again... My daughter acts like this. She is getting help. No one said calm her down and go on with the day. Call the cops, fine. DON'T HANDCUFF HER. Send her home for the rest of the day. Let her mother take care of it.

Return to Top
#351699 - 04/27/05 06:39 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
If the video showed the police officers just standing there with the child everyone would be crying intimidation. As stated before this is a no win situation. The school felt the need to call the police. The police handcuffed the 5 year old. Will it happen again? Possibly. Will it have an affect on the child's behavior in the future? Possibly, but good or bad, who knows.

To the Mother of the 13 year old that is bipolar. I commend you on your forwardness. You, as a parent, are working with the school in identifying the needs of your son. Mental illness is a difficult disease to deal with.

Maybe this 5 year old girl needs professional help. Let's hope that the Mother helps her child with her behavioral problems and doesn't turn the other cheek to this incident.

Return to Top
#351700 - 04/27/05 06:43 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Since when is acting up illegal? Since when is a 5 year old responsible for his/her actions? Since when did the principal or superintendent not take action in matters like this?

This has gone way too far, friends. I promise that if the POLICE ever lay a hand on my 5 year old, there will be heck to pay...heck I tell you (just saw a South Park preview, and I'm trying REALLY hard to not take this seriously as I don't feel it's even a valid discussion). It's not their place. So, when there is a fraudster in my bank, do I call the principal to come and get him? Yes, that was a ridiculous statement, but we're leaning way too hard on police for things that simply DO NOT pertain to them. If this is a parental issue, then Welfare, DHS or one of those organizations is the proper authority.....until charges are pressed.

Return to Top
#351701 - 04/27/05 06:44 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

Quote:

How old is your daughter now?

I was also bitten by a German Shepard when I was 9. I needed 14 stitches in MY HEAD over one ear and had a black eye on the other side. You know what? I don't like dogs, I don't trust dogs, I would never own a dog, but I am not "terrified" of them.

However, I am terrified of examiners, but I was never physically harmed by one.

She is 4, she will be 5 in july. She will start kindergarten in august.
She is terrified of dogs. One can be across the street fenced in the back yard, and she will scream bloody murder and do what she needs to, to get away ie: have me pick her up, run in the house...

Return to Top
#351702 - 04/27/05 06:44 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Does the kid need police involvement? Probably not. Does the school need policy involvement? Probably, if they want to keep from getting sued.

Thank you. I agree.

I should have said the school needs police involvement to keep from being sued. By which, I mean, the school probably did the prudent thing in calling the police. Hope you still agree.

(Isn't it funny how the brain works? I'm so used to typing "policy" that it is hard for me to type "police". I made the same mistake, again, while typing this post where I am trying to correct the error! Fortunately, I saw it before sumbission.)

Return to Top
#351703 - 04/27/05 06:46 PM Re: 5 Year Old Handcuffed??????
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
I don't necessarily agree. If they had to call the police, I can accept that. I can't accept the handcuffing...

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6