Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#967770 - 06/02/08 09:04 PM Resource materials
nivek916 Offline
Oklahoma
I just started working at a small (less than $400 million) community bank as the internal auditor after having been away from the industry for the last 15 months or so. The bank was having their internal audit function performed by an outside CPA firm (more like a director's exam) and decided to bring the function in house. Was just wondering if there were any audit resource materials that anybody has used that they found particularly advantageous for a small national bank with one branch and it's own I/T department? In the past I have used "Bank Internal Audit Manual"...can't remember the publisher (black binders...2 volumes I think), but it was really geared to larger banks with more audit resources. I am the lone auditor and am looking for something that is geared towards the smaller bank with few resources. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to Top
Audit
#972626 - 06/10/08 08:13 PM Re: Resource materials nivek916
Dazed and Confused Offline
Gold Star
Dazed and Confused
Big XII South
I believe the manual you referenced was published by Warren, Gorham and Lamont ... and WG&L still offers the manual through RIA.Thomson. Sheshunoff provides internal audit resources that appear to be targeted to community banks, and I know of several community banks that use their materials and are satisfied (but these materials can get pricy). BOL has a "Banker Store" that you could check-out as well.

Return to Top
#972720 - 06/10/08 09:38 PM Re: Resource materials Dazed and Confused
Sara S Offline
New Poster
I am new to the world of internal auditing (7 months or so). I have been testing many of the sheshunoff manuals and do not like them for the simple fact that they are geared towards larger banks. However, I am little less than 100 million so they may work for you. The last one that I just sent back (30 day test period) was all about auditing policies. We do not have a policy for each individual area, most areas are gathered into a larger policy otherwise we would have thousands of small policies. Maybe they will work for you but I am trying to find a vendor that is not Sheshunoff!

Return to Top
#975002 - 06/13/08 06:15 PM Re: Resource materials Sara S
nivek916 Offline
Oklahoma
Thanks for the input!!! At one time several years ago, I had an bank internal audit manual from Sheshunoff that was not bad. It was geared to the smaller bank, but the ones I've seen of theirs lately are about like the WG&L one I had. I had heard somewhere about a manual that ICBA has available and have ordered it to try for 30 days, so will let you know what I think once it arrives and I can go through it some.

Return to Top
#975831 - 06/16/08 05:18 PM Re: Resource materials nivek916
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Back in my days of auditing for a small community bank and also for a thrift I used a manual from Financial Managers Society. I found it fit the smaller bank/thrift model well. You can find them at http://www.fmsinc.org. I see they now have an online audit program.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#976659 - 06/17/08 07:06 PM Re: Resource materials nivek916
Starter Offline
Platinum Poster
Starter
NJ
Believe it or not I find the most useful tool to be the regulators handbooks of examination procedures. I also find these more helpful that the other audit manuals.

Return to Top
#976661 - 06/17/08 07:07 PM Re: Resource materials nivek916
Starter Offline
Platinum Poster
Starter
NJ
Believe it or not I find the most useful tool to be the regulators handbooks of examination procedures. I also find these more helpful that the other audit manuals.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z