Return to Top
#1057743 - 10/03/08 03:47 PM Re: Furry friend help... B_F
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Originally Posted By: Cerulean
Also, switching an animal's diet around isn't a good idea, according to my vets; animals aren't like people, who crave variety. They do best on a very consistent diet and when you may have to introduce new food due to health problems as the animal ages or develops health problems, it's best to do it very gradually over the course of at least 2 weeks, I've always been told. Switching out a pet's diet frequently simply to offer "variety" or because you the owner simply want to try something new causes digestive and behavioral problems and has no real value, according to those trusted vets I've had. I figure they know way more than I do, cuz after all, they've attended vet med school!

That is a very old school concept based on dogs being fed foods of lower quality, rather than premium foods that have advanced with time. It's not the protein or the grain that is a problem for dogs to adjust to new foods. It's the fillers and junk in poor foods. Working with a rescue, we take whatever food we can get for our fosters, and our vet actually recommends that you change the brand of the food you feed your dog every 3-4 months. He recommends a cycle of four different premium brands, each with different protein and grain bases to best fit a pet's needs. The exception is there for dogs that have allergy issues, or who have sensitive stomachs. There has been a lot of research, and it has been found that yes, if you feed your dog the same thing all the time and quickly switch them, they can get the runs, but there's no harm. On the other hand, if you cycle the foods, and use good quality foods, they get better nutrition from the cycling than simply staying on one food, and have fewer health problems long term.

THANK YOU!!!

Finally, someone who understands and believes the new school of dog nutrition! Too many people are caught up in the old school thought of hwo to feed dogs, including owners, vets, and dog food manufacturers.

As BF mentions, not all dogs are hardy enough to follow the "new" recommended diet, but the average healthy dog is.

I don't often switch Puka's dry food (dinner) but I switch the protein source of her raw food every bag (breakfast). Last bag was vension and the bag before that was chicken. The bag I have now is duck and I think I will go with rabbit the next bag. I also alternate each bag between two brands I like: Nature's Variety which is 90% meat and Primal which is much less meat and more veggie but is human grade (no sick or diseased animals or by products).

Puka is very healthy--no skin problems, no weird behaviors, never gets sick. I also don't vaccinate her beyond her initial series of puppy shots and one rabies shot I got her. The only time I've had to take her to the vet the past 5 years, aside from her knee surgery and getting spayed, was because she threw out her neck playing with a toy and got all stiff (gave her a cortizone shot).

Return to Top
#1057761 - 10/03/08 04:02 PM Re: Furry friend help... Dip
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
You can buy bagged raw food?

Return to Top
#1057771 - 10/03/08 04:09 PM Re: Furry friend help... RR Becca
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Yup! It comes frozen in medallions, patties, and chubs. Puka is so small, I can get away with a 3 pound bag of frozen medallions and it lasts about a month. I put a few day's worth in the fridge so they can thaw. Then she gets 2 medallions for breakfast mixed with just a little hot water to take away the chill.

Return to Top
#1057779 - 10/03/08 04:13 PM Re: Furry friend help... Dip
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Here's the link to Nature's Variety. It even has info on what they call the rotation diet (changing the source of protein).

http://www.naturesvariety.com/

And here's Primal: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/

Return to Top
#1057896 - 10/03/08 05:30 PM Re: Furry friend help... Dip
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Dip, just because you believe in this type of nutrition doesn't make those of us who don't (including VETERANARIANS, WHO GO TO SCHOOL FOR YEARS YEARS YEARS to learn about this type of thing) wrong.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I do not appreciate you calling us 'old school' and saying that we don't understand.

We are not unresearched, I can assure you, and we understand pet nutrition quite well.

Return to Top
#1057897 - 10/03/08 05:31 PM Re: Furry friend help... Dip
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Thanks, I'll check those out later (from home). Every 'raw' diet plan I've ever seen required me to get real friendly with my butcher and spend more time on the dogs' food than my own. Not gonna happen. If I can buy better food already prepared though - I might give it a shot.

I already use a high-end dry food with chunks of real veggies/fruit and no corn or wheat. Supplementing that with soemthing like this would work quite well, I think.
Last edited by RR Becca; 10/03/08 05:33 PM.

Return to Top
#1057912 - 10/03/08 05:37 PM Re: Furry friend help... RR Becca
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
If you have a Chuck & Don's Pet Food Outlet near your home, they have a good selection of raw food that you can buy frozen/bagged.

I have bought a bag now and then and used pieces of the thawed meat for training...

Return to Top
#1057915 - 10/03/08 05:39 PM Re: Furry friend help... MadisonCali
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Madison, I'm sure Dip didn't mean to insult you or others who adhere to what has been the primarily accepted mode of pet nutrition.

My vet espoused the same as your's until my last visit. Then she said that she's changing her mind and believes that dogs (and cats too) would benefit from a more well-rounded diet including both wet and dry food. She even went so far as to say there's a belief that dry food was readily accepted by vets and owners because it's so much easier to feed.

Bottom line, I no longer have to feel quilty about giving my dogs scraps in their dinner.

Return to Top
#1057920 - 10/03/08 05:41 PM Re: Furry friend help... MadisonCali
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Thanks MC, but we have *nothing* near our home. Seriously, the closest major city is over an hour away, and they aren't much larger/more retail-diversified than us.

In the same vein - do either of you know anything at all about the Natural Balance food rolls? They are basically giant meat sausages that you keep in the fridge and slice off and appropriate amount of per feeding. I can get those by mail-order (they ship them overnight in cold packs) and have considered them as one of my girls is getting older and I'd like to supplement her with some meat.

Return to Top
#1057948 - 10/03/08 05:52 PM Re: Furry friend help... RR Becca
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Natural Balance is pretty good stuff.
In my neck of the woods, they only carry it at Chuck & Don's and Petco, and I haven't noticed many people using for anything other than treats (cutting off pieces).

I kind of think of the rolls as somewhere between wet and dry, but the ingredients are pretty much the same (i.e. protein is the first ingredient and then there's a whole lot of other 'stuff' like in regular dry food and most canned foods (at least the good ones )

Haven't looked into them that much, thought, other than reading the ingredient panels...

Return to Top
#1057963 - 10/03/08 05:58 PM Re: Furry friend help... Truffle Royale
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Madison, I'm sure Dip didn't mean to insult you or others who adhere to what has been the primarily accepted mode of pet nutrition.

My vet espoused the same as your's until my last visit. Then she said that she's changing her mind and believes that dogs (and cats too) would benefit from a more well-rounded diet including both wet and dry food. She even went so far as to say there's a belief that dry food was readily accepted by vets and owners because it's so much easier to feed.

Bottom line, I no longer have to feel quilty about giving my dogs scraps in their dinner.

I know. I'm being overly sensitive.
Sometimes her posts rub me the wrong way. I usually ignore them, but on this subject in particular I feel pretty strong about my knowledge, so I guess I spouted a bit.

I also agree with the wet and dry mix for dogs that can handle it; my point that started this whole thing was to try to keep some dry food in the diet because it's better for their teeth.
On that point, I will not back down. I will take advice from professionals (or 'kooky vets' as some people call them) on that, continue to use dry food and brush my dog's teeth once a week.
It's worked for me in the past, and it's working for me now.

And I would do table scraps once in a while, too, but my husband is COMPLETELY opposed. Freaks out if I try to sneak one.
One of his pet peeves in life is a dog begging for food, and since he puts up with my constant need to have multiple dogs and allow them on the furniture, I will give him that one thing.

Return to Top
#1057965 - 10/03/08 06:01 PM Re: Furry friend help... MadisonCali
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Becca, there are some raw food mixes that come freeze-dried that you may be able to mail order also. The ones I've seen (can't remember the name) are like a flakey/course powder you mix with water. Seems easy enough and then you don't need room in your freezer. Some come fully balanced with meat already dried in them, and others come just with everythgin btu the meat, which you pick and add fresh yourself.

Return to Top
#1058025 - 10/03/08 06:27 PM Re: Furry friend help... MadisonCali
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not really table scraps in that it's mixed in with their dinner and they get fed before we eat. They must lay on their pillows while we eat or suffer the consequences. Poor spoiled babies.

Return to Top
#1058028 - 10/03/08 06:29 PM Re: Furry friend help... Dip
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Well, my girls already both get more table scraps than they probably should (not just meat) - as well as any raw trimmings left after I prepare the meat. I'm a big believer in "well-rounded" diets so they're both allowed whatever veggies/fruits/etc. they want. The heeler mix will actually steal apples off the cutting board if I don't watch her - she loves them!

Return to Top
#1058134 - 10/03/08 07:16 PM Re: Furry friend help... RR Becca
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
We had a Springer Spaniel that would eat plums as high as he could reach on the bush - seed and all. He'd also eat very ripe tomatoes - if I noticed one was ready to pick, I'd have to go ahead and pick it or it would be gone when I got home. Guess we both liked them at the very ripe stage.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett