Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#109923 - 08/27/03 08:13 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

While my college did not have a football program, I would still agree that a college atmosphere has got to be great (although the games I have attended at Northwestern don't really back that up) but I will say I much prefer watching Pro Football over college. That said, give me college hoops over pro basketball any day of the week, for pretty much the exact arguments you make regarding football.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#109924 - 08/27/03 08:14 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

For baseball, Wrigley and Fenway are the best.

Yes, Fenway is a very cool place, albeit old. When you go to a Sox game at Fenway, you can just feel the history oozing out of the place. Now if beers would just go for under $7.00 we'd be OK!!

Return to Top
#109925 - 08/27/03 08:15 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I have to say that I've never been to a college game. It's not really big here but from reading all these posts, it makes me want to go to one. However, I bet that the college games here are luke warm (West Point excepted) compared to where many of you are. I was going to except St. Johns B-Ball but I can't imagine it compares with, say, Duke. Next time I'm in Lincoln for ITI I will try arrange to go to a game.

Return to Top
#109926 - 08/27/03 08:17 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

The "Big House"- Michigan Stadium holds 107,000 fans!
Its awesome baby! Michigan is ranked #4. Maybe a National Championship year!

Return to Top
#109927 - 08/27/03 08:32 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

give me college hoops over pro basketball any day of the week, for pretty much the exact arguments you make regarding football.

I would agree. With basketball arenas being smaller, and the growing popularity of "Student Only" sections (such as the Izzone, or the Orange Krush), basketball games are much better. The fans are on their feet, (usually) everyone is dressed in the same color, and the student section chants are the best. I'll never forget the "Warm up the Tractor" chant against Iowa.

Quote:

The "Big House"- Michigan Stadium holds 107,000 fans!
Its awesome baby! Michigan is ranked #4. Maybe a National Championship year!

I just had to throw this in. I hate Michigan. And I don't like the Big House. I was there in '99 when they played Illinois (and won!) and my seats were terrible. I was two rows from the top. Planes had a better view then I did. If I was closer, my opinion would probably change (but not against Michigan).

Return to Top
#109928 - 08/27/03 08:36 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Christina Offline
100 Club
Christina
Midwest
Quote:

I have to say that I've never been to a college game. It's not really big here but from reading all these posts, it makes me want to go to one. However, I bet that the college games here are luke warm (West Point excepted) compared to where many of you are. I was going to except St. Johns B-Ball but I can't imagine it compares with, say, Duke. Next time I'm in Lincoln for ITI I will try arrange to go to a game.

Ellen - next time you're in Lincoln during the season, let me know and I'll see what I can do...although those guys at ITI have better connections than I do! A game at Memorial Stadium is like no other. We Nebraskans are proud to say that on a football saturday, Memorial Stadium is the 3rd largest 'city' in the state. Imagine 76,00+ all wearing red, screaming "GO BIG RED". It is an incredible experience. We are the nicest fans around. Win or lose, the north stadium always stands and applauds the opponent as they walk off the field.
I took my cousin from Germany to a game once. We gave him a Husker sweatshirt and said we're going to watch football and he was scared to death. In Germany you NEVER wear your team colors to football(soccer) unless you're going ready to fight! He had a blast after he realized he wasn't going to get pummeled.

Return to Top
#109929 - 08/27/03 08:50 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Paul, I'm really excited. One of the things on my lifetime "To Do" list is to go to an Army/Navy game. This year is the year I'm going to get to do it. A friend of mine in Greenville is a West Point grad, and he and I are going to do the road trip thing in December to Philadelphia to see the game on December 6 at the new Lincoln Financial Field. I'll be cheering for Army both because of my friend, and because that's the branch of service I was in.

I went to school at The Citadel, and the Citadel/VMI game is like a mini Army/Navy game.

Return to Top
#109930 - 08/28/03 01:17 AM Re: Best Sports Venue
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is

Return to Top
#109931 - 08/28/03 03:18 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
CSpellman Offline
100 Club
Yes, I'm biased but the BEST tailgate in the US is Arrowhead Stadium for the KC Chiefs. The game itself is secondary to the actual pre-game party. I've seen tailgaters cook, smoke, fry about every animal known to man! Deep fried turkeys, smoked brisket, pizza, sub sandwiches. We even have a group next to us that tailgate with very expensive wine and gourmet meals--tableclothes and china! Some people stay outside and watch the game on TV. There's no way that anyone can describe and give it justice.
I've been to several college venues, Michigan, ND, Penn State and Athens GA....while those are great atmospheres for the game itself they parties don't come close to KC.

Return to Top
#109932 - 08/28/03 03:48 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
I'm a Navy fan by marriage... my father-in-law is class of '54. I have not been to a game in years. Maybe I'll have to change that this year. I presume they are playing in Philly's new football stadium

Get to the Stadium early to see the Cadets and the Mids parade into the stadium. It's a great spectacle.

If you want some persepctive on how the players feel, John Feinstein wrote a book a feww years back titled A Civil War. He does a great job describing the game from the players' and coaches' point of view.

Return to Top
#109933 - 08/28/03 04:45 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Best professional sports venue - definitely Wrigley Field. Best college football - Notre Dame Stadium, although I haven't been there since they added on. Touchdown Jesus is just too cool.
Best professional basketball - Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianpolis. Makes you feel like you are on the court and you get that "down home" basketball feeling.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#109934 - 11/17/04 07:37 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Darth Vader Offline
New Poster
Death Star
Quote:

Picking up from another thread. What's the best sports venue where you've attended a game?

For me it has to be Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, NC - home of the Cameron Crazies and Duke University basketball! [in best Dickie V impersonation voice]It's AWESOME, BABY with a capital A.

Galagher Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma is far better than Cameron Indoor. Cameron is the GI of the east. If the east coast media would pay attention they would see this to be true. Oh wait, the sporting news named Stillwater, Oklahoma the top college basketball town in the nation and CBS sportsline said GI arena was the number 1 arena in the nation. We don't have to dress up like clowns at OSU to make our place intimidating. It is loud, and very intimidating on it's own. Too bad Duke was too scared to play Oklahoma State this year at Cameron. I guess Coack K didn't want to have to make that return trip to a much much more intimidating place than Cameron.

Return to Top
#109935 - 11/18/04 03:25 AM Re: Best Sports Venue
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
The best venue is any place the UConn women's basketball plays.

Teams that routinely draw several hundred people to their home games sell out when UConn plays them.

The lady Huskies are the only female basketball team in the country to have every one of their games televised affording coverage to teams that would never otherwise receive it.

Whether their home court at Storrs, the Gample Pavillion, or their home away from home, the Hartford Civic Center, the games are always sold out. They even drew 12000 people in a blizzard!

Go lady Huskies!

Return to Top
#109936 - 11/18/04 04:22 AM Re: Best Sports Venue
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Because I am an avid Gamecock fan, I may be a little bias.
It is hard to beat the euthasiam and chill bumps every time the Carolina football team enters Williams-Brice Stadium to the sounds of 2001. The place is a mecca of College Football frency. Go Cocks!

Return to Top
#109937 - 11/18/04 02:11 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah 2001 is great. Then Clemson comes out all intimidated by the mighty Cocks, and lay down 63 points. USC did get 17 though.

Return to Top
#109938 - 11/18/04 02:14 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Having been to Gillette Stadium last month to see the Pats squish the fish, I can say it's awesome! Very modern and everything you can imagine for food, etc. Seats are pretty comfortable too and every seat is a good one.

Return to Top
#109939 - 11/18/04 02:38 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Paul Brown Stadium!

Why? Because for a change a bigtime stadium didn't sell out to "the man" in the form of a corporate name!

Return to Top
#109940 - 11/18/04 04:01 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
kfridge Offline
100 Club
Death Valley!

Return to Top
#109941 - 11/18/04 04:05 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ohio Stadium!!!
Anyone who has ever been to a game there would be hard pressed to name another.

Also, PNC Park in Pittsburgh is gorgeous...not a bad seat in the house (except for the Pirates' dugout )

Return to Top
#109942 - 11/18/04 04:06 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
USCBanker Offline
Easley, SC
Quote:

Death Valley!

Please tell me you are talking about LSU - The real Death Valley.

Return to Top
#109943 - 11/18/04 05:00 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
kfridge Offline
100 Club
Quote:

Quote:

Death Valley!

That's the one. Awesome tailgating, atmosphere on a Saturday night, fans, history, tradition, and of course the BAND! (former member here)

Return to Top
#109944 - 11/18/04 05:07 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
kfridge Offline
100 Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Death Valley!

That's the one. Awesome tailgating, atmosphere on a Saturday night, fans, history, tradition, and of course the BAND! (former member here)

How bout the "quake" in Baton Rouge as evidence of one of the greatest sports venues?!?

http://www.lsu.edu/highlights/033/football.html

Return to Top
#109945 - 11/18/04 05:14 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Quote:

Ohio Stadium!!!
Anyone who has ever been to a game there would be hard pressed to name another.

I have been to Ohio Stadium, and I can (and have) named others. See my post above regarding the The Big House and Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. Add to that the Swamp in Gainesville, Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, and Kyle Field in College Station, TX.

Ohio State's band still has the best song, though.

Return to Top
#109946 - 11/20/04 06:18 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Definitly underrated after all of the renovations the school has done. Plus playin against Stoops and the Sooners at home is scary enough, just ask Callahan.

Return to Top
#109947 - 11/20/04 06:54 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
bucket Offline
100 Club
bucket
TX- east and north
what makes it so special? I think now it's just getting to be a competition among all the pro teams to have the best venue so it may just be who has the newest one at the time

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3