Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#12209 - 02/21/02 06:08 AM Check Presentment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am trying to develop a product offering to market Check Truncation services to companies that receive consumer payments. Essentially the consumer checks will be scanned for the MICR line data (account number, bank routing number, check serial number, amount), converted to an ACH debit and presented to the consumers bank as an electronic entry; the original check is copied then destroyed. We need to understand what rules apply if we need to convert MICR line data back to a paper check for those entries that cannot be sent electronically. Would we need to present the original paper check for collection or would an image copy suffice? Could we create a substitute check using the MICR data?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#12210 - 02/21/02 02:02 PM Re: Check Presentment
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
This is still in the proposal stages, but you should probably look at the proposed Check Truncation Act. It has some pretty clear requirements for what they are calling "substitute checks" as well as the process for "reconverting" a substitute check. You can find the act at www.federalreserve.gov/PaymentSystems/truncation/ctact.htm

Return to Top
#12211 - 02/21/02 02:38 PM Re: Check Presentment
PABanker Offline
Gold Star
PABanker
Blue Ball, PA 17506
You may wnat to review the Electronic Check Conversion and the Re-presented Check under REG E and NACHA rules. The new additions give good information insight to the retention standards;what is accepted in the legal realm.

Return to Top
#12212 - 02/21/02 03:32 PM Re: Check Presentment
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I am by NO means an expert in this area, but I have heard discussions about it. One of the features I've heard discussed as "necessary" is the ability to compare the MICR data on a scanned check with a table of valid FRDABA numbers (which would include only FI's capable of receiving ACH transactions). Some have discussed having the name of the bank appear on a screen (from the table) for comparison with the name printed on the check. Both would seem to be prudent fraud prevention measures.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#12213 - 02/21/02 08:25 PM Re: Check Presentment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the item you are talking about is the NACHA ARC SEC code which goes into effect as a rule on 3/15. FYI, according to this you need to provide the check number from the ACH file on the customer's statement.

This project is mainly aimed at the large lockbox providers who process tens of thousands of checks a day. Many of the lockbox providers are integrating this into their software configs. They are doing some of the checking against the R/T database in addtion to the Thomson EPICWare Database.

Return to Top
#12214 - 12/31/04 02:48 PM wnat is micr number
Anonymous
Unregistered

what is micr number

Return to Top
#12215 - 12/31/04 02:50 PM Re: wnat is micr number
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Magnetic Ink Character Recognition, and is used to describe the special numbers and symbols you typically see at the bottom of checks.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#12216 - 09/26/05 12:16 PM Re: wnat is micr number
Anonymous
Unregistered

please explain this in more detail

Return to Top
#12217 - 09/26/05 12:37 PM Re: wnat is micr number
TNBanker Offline
100 Club
MICR is the ink that is used on the bottom of checks. This ink allows the bank's proof machines to route the check to the right fed district, then to the right bank, and ultimately to the right account.

Return to Top
#12218 - 09/26/05 02:08 PM Re: wnat is micr number
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
The MICR line is printed using ink that has a mixture of Iron Oxcide in it. This gives each of those specially designed numbers an electrical value which the computers can read.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z