Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#147373 - 01/08/04 09:16 PM Presceening under FCRA
Anonymous
Unregistered

The marketing department indicates the Bank does not prescreen. However, compliance was approached to detemine if it is okay to obtain a list from a credit reporting agency of non-customers based on a minimum income, credit score and age and offer a credit card. Sounds like prescreening ... age doesn't seem appropriate (Reg B) unless it is 18 (legally able to enter into a contract). Thoughts? Best source of laymans language on prescreening?

Return to Top
#147374 - 01/09/04 04:00 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Appendix C, Sect. V of the FCRA.

This practice is known as "prescreening" and typically involves obtaining a list of consumers from a CRA who meet certain preestablished criteria. If any person intends to use prescreened lists, that person must (1) before the offer is made, establish the criteria that will be relied upon to make the offer and to grant credit or insurance, and (2) maintain such criteria on file for a three-year period beginning on the date on which the offer is made to each consumer. In addition, any user must provide with each written solicitation a clear and conspicuous statement that:
Information contained in a consumer's CRA file was used in connection with the transaction.

The consumer received the offer because he or she satisfied the criteria for credit worthiness or insurability used to screen for the offer.

Credit or insurance may not be extended if, after the consumer responds, it is determined that the consumer does not meet the criteria used for screening or any applicable criteria bearing on credit worthiness or insurability, or the consumer does not furnish required collateral.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#147375 - 01/13/04 03:51 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Quote:

In addition, any user must provide with each written solicitation a clear and conspicuous statement that:
Information contained in a consumer's CRA file was used in connection with the transaction.

The consumer received the offer because he or she satisfied the criteria for credit worthiness or insurability used to screen for the offer.

Credit or insurance may not be extended if, after the consumer responds, it is determined that the consumer does not meet the criteria used for screening or any applicable criteria bearing on credit worthiness or insurability, or the consumer does not furnish required collateral.

Andy (or anyone else) -

Could you provide the specific cite that states the above has to be stated in each written solicitation? I am unable to locate it.........

Thanks.

Return to Top
#147376 - 01/13/04 04:05 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
For future reference, this type of question best fits under the Lending thread rather than CRA. In this instance, CRA is the Community Reinvestment Act, not a Credit Reporting Agency.

Return to Top
#147377 - 01/13/04 04:19 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Section 615 (d)

Return to Top
#147378 - 01/13/04 04:19 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Quote:

For future reference, this type of question best fits under the Lending thread rather than CRA. In this instance, CRA is the Community Reinvestment Act, not a Credit Reporting Agency.

I agree, Don, but unfortunately I don't know how to move the initial thread to the appropriate forum. Is that even possible?

Return to Top
#147379 - 01/13/04 04:23 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
KimmB:
You just asked the most technically challenged person a question I couldn't begin to respond to. I don't think threads can be moved, but don't sweat it, posting in the wrong category happens every day. As you can see, even with the wrong geography of the website, you get accurate and timely responses from people you can trust.

Return to Top
#147380 - 01/13/04 07:27 PM Re: Presceening under FCRA
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'll take care of it I forgot to move it yesterday

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top