Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#147974 - 01/29/04 02:02 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
Live in Chicago area - temp is 0 degrees on the bank thermometer, with light snow falling. I thought we had it cold - I guess it's a matter of perspective. I heard Duluth, MN was about -45 or -50 this am. Stay warm and think spring.

Return to Top
#147975 - 01/29/04 02:52 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Once again. -28 with a winchill of -52. This is nuts. I'm just glad my cars are starting. I wish I had an auto-start though.

Return to Top
#147976 - 01/29/04 03:18 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I didn't know this but I guess they changed the windchill chart a few years back. So our windchill a few years ago would have been -72. Just like the good old days at the turn of the century.

Return to Top
#147977 - 01/29/04 03:46 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Once again. -28 with a winchill of -52. This is nuts. I'm just glad my cars are starting. I wish I had an auto-start though.

You're right that is nuts! That is just way too cold.. Just out of curiousity how many layers of clothing do you wear?? I have never been in that sort of miserable cold, but all I can think of is that little kid from a Christmas Story that could barely walk and had his arms way out because he had so many layers of clothing, at least thats how I would be dressed Keep warm.

Return to Top
#147978 - 01/29/04 04:21 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

You're right that is nuts! That is just way too cold.. Just out of curiousity how many layers of clothing do you wear?? I have never been in that sort of miserable cold, but all I can think of is that little kid from a Christmas Story that could barely walk and had his arms way out because he had so many layers of clothing, at least thats how I would be dressed Keep warm.

For my daughters they have the snow bibs, coats, hats, gloves, scarfs and hoods on. When it is this cold you don't stay out long enough where you need much more. I'm not as smart as them. I usually have my down jacket which always keeps me warm and gloves. I'm not much of a hat person unless I have to be outside for more than 10 minutes in this weather. Most adults here don't wear hats unless they will be outside for more than 10 minutes. The best way to stay warm in this weather is not to go outside.

I have an older (1940) house and it has fuel oil instead of natural gas. With this cold I burn up more than double what is normal. I go through about 5 gallons a day. I'm not looking forward to the eletrical bill for this month.

Funny thing...I just got my tabs for my car and I can't put them on. They won't stick if the temp is below -10. But on the bright side I don't think the cops will stop to give me a ticket in this weather either.

Return to Top
#147979 - 01/29/04 04:23 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Ok Nikko, you win! You are the official winner of the "Man it's cold!!" contest!

Return to Top
#147980 - 01/29/04 04:35 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
It was -5 here this morning. But, that's actually one of the things I like about doing HMDA. After the holidays I pretty much lock myself in the office for 2 months and when I emerge, it's practically spring!

Return to Top
#147981 - 01/29/04 05:47 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Nikko - have you tried the 180 ear muffs? I bought a pair for my father and for my son for Christmas and they both love them. Keeps their ears warm when they're scraping their cards. Of course the temperature here isn't anywhere close to yours. Yesterday morning it was 11 degrees here.

Return to Top
#147982 - 01/29/04 05:50 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
SanibelGal Offline
SanibelGal
Fla
Good Grief!! After reading all these posts about minus wind chill, snow and Ice - I'll take my 27 and clear weather report for this morning as a blessing! And the frost on the ground was as white as I hope to ever see it around here! But the good part of it is, it only lasts for a day and then we are back to typical winter weather. Thank goodness I live in Florida - I would probably die frozen if I lived up north somewhere!

Return to Top
#147983 - 01/30/04 02:17 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I would like to voice my support for global warming. I woke up to -35 with -50 windchill. The airport recorded -42 last night. I need to visit my parents in Arizona.

Return to Top
#147984 - 01/30/04 02:24 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
AnnL Offline
Gold Star
AnnL
Western PA
If I see one more "news reporter" freeze an egg on the sidewalk, I am going to throw the TV out the window and see how long it takes for it to freeze!!!

Return to Top
#147985 - 01/30/04 02:26 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

If I see one more "news reporter" freeze an egg on the sidewalk, I am going to throw the TV out the window and see how long it takes for it to freeze!!!

They should come here and try the "watch it freeze before it hits the ground" trick.

Anyone willing to lick the flag pole??

Return to Top
#147986 - 01/30/04 02:59 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
No thanks. Here it's supposed to get down to 3 degrees tonight. I know that's nothing compared to you, Nikko, but for here that's quite cold. Brrr!

Return to Top
#147987 - 01/30/04 03:39 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
It was -9 when I left this morning. Trying to freeze water did not work (I think it needs to be colder).

I would not recommend licking a flag pole. I licked a sled when I was 10, and it does freeze. And your tongue will not stop bleeding when you pull (should I say, rip?) it off.

Return to Top
#147988 - 01/30/04 04:02 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Em Offline
100 Club
Omaha, Nebraska
We already have 12-15 inches of snow on the ground and we suppose to get another 8-10 tomorrow.

Return to Top
#147989 - 01/30/04 05:29 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
conniew Offline
100 Club
conniew
St. Louis, MO
EM-
My husband and I are moving to Omaha sometime this summer (He works for the Union Pacific Railroad and is being transferred) - we're living in St. Louis now - won't miss the hot humid summers, but our winter is nowhere near as cold and snowy as yours! We are both from northern Iowa, so it will feel like "old times", but I never missed the cold winters.

Return to Top
#147990 - 01/30/04 06:30 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

EM-
My husband and I are moving to Omaha sometime this summer (He works for the Union Pacific Railroad and is being transferred) - we're living in St. Louis now - won't miss the hot humid summers, but our winter is nowhere near as cold and snowy as yours! We are both from northern Iowa, so it will feel like "old times", but I never missed the cold winters.

Ahhhh, Omaha! Not quite home but very, very close. I've got friends there now who have been trying to get me to move up there. Enjoy the steaks!!

Return to Top
#147991 - 02/04/04 02:11 AM Re: Man it's cold!!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Ok Nikko, you win! You are the official winner of the "Man it's cold!!" contest!

I beg to differ...I was so cold I didn't even have time to chip the ice off the keyboard to reply!

Nikko do ya'll use duct tape on your faces when you snowmachine? It works great and comes off easy after it's frozen. Most snowmachiners here use it as well as dog sledders.

So much easier to do now that it comes in more colors than silver

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#147992 - 02/12/04 04:32 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Down into nose glue territory (below zero) this morning!

Return to Top
#147993 - 02/12/04 07:43 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
We had -7 this morning.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#147994 - 02/12/04 08:32 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
It's 10 above in Fairbanks today and yesterday it was 40 above. Two weeks ago we had 40 and 50 below so this is warm to us. I'm seeing kids waiting at the bus stop not even wearing a coat, or a sweater...just a short sleeved t-shirt.

Return to Top
#147995 - 02/12/04 08:47 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Nick Offline
Kentucky
Here in KY it is 45 and it feels pretty good. Hay Regan did you toss your coffee in the air and watch it freeze.

Return to Top
#147996 - 02/13/04 11:20 PM Re: Man it's cold!!
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
Nope, I didn't have too because they had a demonstration on the local news. It doesn't really freeze because it's hot it more or less evaporates into a big steamy cloud of coffee.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett