Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Thread Options
#1498962 - 01/23/11 04:20 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Dip
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Dip,
My holiday is on a different day it is not on Christmas day. She has them on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. And she comes to my house for all other Holidays including Birthday parties for my other Grandchildren that has nothing to do with her. She come to my family picnic which is my brothers, sisters, nieces,nephews
and my parents.

Return to Top
#1499000 - 01/24/11 01:50 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Overboard
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I still think you're being selfish and should concentrate on other days she invites herself. Nip those in the bud as it were and then maybe having everyone together on holidays isn't such a big deal.

Return to Top
#1499190 - 01/24/11 05:07 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Peepers
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
She IS family, if onyl by marriage. Do you just nto liek her? If you are having a family event, I say it's rude to expect her to not come if her kid(s) (your DIL/SIL) are going to be there. That's why, if you want some time alone with your grandkids, make some time for just you and them. Then it wouldn't be rude for her to not be invited or welcome since it's nto liek asll the other family will be there too.

Honestly, I think it's a little sad that you want to pick and choose what family is invited to family events. If your reasoning really is because you don't want to share your grandkids, then yeah, that's selfish.

Return to Top
#1499202 - 01/24/11 05:17 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Dip
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Most people's definition of "selfish": stop thinking about yourself and think about me. Are you selfish? Probably. Are we all selfish? Pretty much. Do i blame you for wishing you could have a holiday without an in-law that you didn't expressly invite? No i don't. Everybody's situation is different and i'm certainly not saying that an in-law, by definition, is someone you wouldn't want around at Christmas. But if you don't, you don't, and i think whether you're being "selfish" or not is really beside the point. Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#1499207 - 01/24/11 05:23 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish raitchjay
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
rjay, you're so selfish. mad

Return to Top
#1499222 - 01/24/11 05:35 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Ops
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I like shellfish. smile

Return to Top
#1499223 - 01/24/11 05:36 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish bOaty
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I smell fish.

Ew.

Return to Top
#1499228 - 01/24/11 05:38 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Ops
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Abe Vegoda?

Return to Top
#1499229 - 01/24/11 05:40 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Peepers
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Innagadadavida.

Return to Top
#1499230 - 01/24/11 05:40 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Peepers
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Dang, he's got to be geting ripe by now. sick

Return to Top
#1499249 - 01/24/11 05:55 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish bOaty
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
Don't ever apologize for the way you feel - if you don't want her there, you don't want her there. I think the bigger picture is that she is sponging off of your son (if I read correctly she has no health issues but doesn't want to work and live on her own). So, between that and the fact that she gets to insert herself into every function it probably does tick you off.

However, having said that I think you just have to always think about your son and the difficulty it creates for him. I'm sure you love him and your Grandkids very much, so for now it may just have to be this way to keep the peace. Through all this, I just don't understand why they are not inviting you over on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? I think it would go a long way to make things a little better.

Good luck with your situation.

Return to Top
#1499266 - 01/24/11 06:09 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish 80's Lady
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: 80's Lady
Don't ever apologize for the way you feel - if you don't want her there, you don't want her there. I think the bigger picture is that she is sponging off of your son (if I read correctly she has no health issues but doesn't want to work and live on her own). So, between that and the fact that she gets to insert herself into every function it probably does tick you off.

However, having said that I think you just have to always think about your son and the difficulty it creates for him. I'm sure you love him and your Grandkids very much, so for now it may just have to be this way to keep the peace. Through all this, I just don't understand why they are not inviting you over on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? I think it would go a long way to make things a little better.

Good luck with your situation.

Well said and I agree about the "reverse invites"

Return to Top
#1499273 - 01/24/11 06:17 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish HappyGilmore
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
sadly, my Mom left when I was 10, haven't seen her for 12 years, haven't spoken to her since 2005...i wish she wanted to spend time with me...

So sorry to hear that frown

Return to Top
#1499323 - 01/24/11 07:13 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish madukes
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
They have asked me to come down on Christmas Day. And out of respect for the other Grandmother I decline the invitation. I guess as I was growing up we went to two different Christmas's one for my dad's side and then another for my Mom's side. The only time the two sides were together was a birthday or if we planned to get both sides together. That way both sets of Granparents got their special time. My Son totally agrees with me and respects how I feel. This is not causing problems with his marraige.

Return to Top
#1499330 - 01/24/11 07:19 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Overboard
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: Going insane
This is not causing problems with his marraige.
Since you would really know?

Return to Top
#1499337 - 01/24/11 07:23 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Ops
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Next Christmas, i'd decline the invitation for Christmas Day with "No, you keep that for (the other grandmother). In return, i'd like a Christmas with just you two and the kids here at my house."

Return to Top
#1499338 - 01/24/11 07:23 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Ops
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Wait a minute. They reciprocate by inviting you to their holiday celebration but because you did things differently growing up you decline and are now po'd because they won't leave the mil sitting at home alone while they come to your holiday celebration?

The past is the past. This is the present. Different people. Different situations. Different times. Let the anger and frustration go. Rejoice in the fact that they all want to be one big happy family instead of his and her factions.

Honestly, I cannot believe this is still even being discussed a month after the holidays.

Return to Top
#1499339 - 01/24/11 07:25 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Truffle Royale
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
THANK YOU!

Return to Top
#1499341 - 01/24/11 07:28 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish kitten
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
*like*

Return to Top
#1499345 - 01/24/11 07:30 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Truffle Royale
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Different people look at things differently. GI says out of respect for the other grandmother, she declines. I'd take her at her word on that, not knowing her personally. Some families want every in-law, stranger off the street, etc. at Christmas. More power to em and God bless you. Doesn't mean that others can't have valid differences in feelings. GI's Christmas traditions sound like those around here. Christmas in my family is for my family and all those who married into it and their kids. My siblings spouses' in-laws and the like aren't invited, not because we're cruel and uncaring, because it is OUR family's Christmas. Would we kick them out if they showed up? No. But i wouldn't show up at a Christmas like that either, unless expressly invited.
Last edited by raitchjay; 01/24/11 07:31 PM.

Return to Top
#1499346 - 01/24/11 07:31 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Overboard
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: Going insane
They have asked me to come down on Christmas Day. And out of respect for the other Grandmother I decline the invitation. I guess as I was growing up we went to two different Christmas's one for my dad's side and then another for my Mom's side. The only time the two sides were together was a birthday or if we planned to get both sides together. That way both sets of Granparents got their special time. My Son totally agrees with me and respects how I feel. This is not causing problems with his marraige.

They ask you to come to their house and you're too proud/stubborn/whatever to do so - Shame on You!

Yes Going Insane, you are being selfish! Get Over It!

Well said Truff!

Return to Top
#1499352 - 01/24/11 07:41 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Truffle Royale
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Wait a minute. They reciprocate by inviting you to their holiday celebration but because you did things differently growing up you decline and are now po'd because they won't leave the mil sitting at home alone while they come to your holiday celebration?

The past is the past. This is the present. Different people. Different situations. Different times. Let the anger and frustration go. Rejoice in the fact that they all want to be one big happy family instead of his and her factions.

Honestly, I cannot believe this is still even being discussed a month after the holidays.

No kidding...

I was actually kinda coming around to your side of the argument (even though I felt it was too late and those horses are long gone and not returning to the barn), but after this extra little bit of info about you being invited to their home (instead choosing to spend the holiday alone) then yes, you are coming across as a selfish immature child.

You say your son agrees with you but I wonder how much of that is him trying to pacify you with words, and keep his hurt family from getting anymore hurt and involved in your pity party.

Time to buck up, get over it an move on! You had the chance to nip this in the bud 10 years ago and choose not to. Now, it is what it is.

Time to get over yourself, apologize, and make amends to your daughter-in-law and her mother (PERSONALLY, and not through your son!) before you become the cold bitter old grandmother that your grandchildren have no desire to visit later on.

Return to Top
#1499356 - 01/24/11 07:45 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish #Just Jay
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Sad - but I'm afraid true.

frown

Return to Top
#1499362 - 01/24/11 07:49 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Snow Bunny
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
My son asks me to come I am sure the other Grandmother does not want me to intrude on her Chrismas with the Grandkids either. the oldest Grandson in my Son's home is from my DIL's first mariage, so he has three Grandmothers 2 blood ones and me. So I posed the question how would they like it if the other real Grandmother (who they get along with very well) was to show up at Christmas, Thanksgiving, family picnics, and other Grandchildrens birthday parties. The DIL and her Mother didn't think they would like that very much.

By the way Chilly I am over it. I have made my decision and am comfortable with it. I am just continuing to answer questions that others are asking.

And truff I enjoyed the separate special times with each grandparent.

thank you for understanding raitchjay.
Last edited by Going insane; 01/24/11 07:50 PM.
Return to Top
#1499375 - 01/24/11 08:03 PM Re: Please tell me if I am being selfish Overboard
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
And truff I enjoyed the separate special times with each grandparent.
As do I with my grans.
I believe that idiom about 'it takes a village to raise a child'. Not two villages seperated by a river that you can only cross if you have that family's blood in your veins.
My grans' other grandparents are always welcome in my home. In fact, we've become friends who support each other through the good and the trying times too. We're going through one now which may end in the divorce of our children. But it will never end what we feel for our grandchildren or each other as human beings.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you the answer you obviously came here wanting. I did you give you my honest opinion based on my living a similar circumstance. I'm glad someone else could tell you what you wanted to hear.

Return to Top
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett