Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1944157 - 07/22/14 05:17 PM Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I am.

How do you track your runs?

Right now I have both the fitbit flex and the Nike+ app on my phone. The Nike+ app I use for my runs and the fitbit stays on my wrist throughout the day, reminding me to get off my butt.

I have used the MapmyRun app and the runkeeper app. The problem with all 3 is that on a run longer than 4 miles, my phone seems to overheat. Of those 3, I do prefer the Nike App, but the more my phone overheats, the less I want to use it for my runs.

I am thinking of going to either the Nike+ watch or the Garmin watch or some other GPS watch. And I have a BestBuy gift card laugh laugh that's burning a hole in my pocket smile What do you use?

Return to Top
#1944165 - 07/22/14 05:27 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
I love my garmin watch. I also use my fitbit that I wear on my shorts. I don't like running with my phone becuase it think it is too heavy to carry or put in my pocket. However when I am running with the stroller I will use my phone then.

Return to Top
#1944195 - 07/22/14 06:06 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
I'm not terribly OCD about it.

I use a Timex GPS watch to monitor pace and distance for tempo runs, for races, and sometimes to confirm an estimated distance.

I use gmap to get the distance of planned routes, and I just keep a set of them.

Return to Top
#1944203 - 07/22/14 06:17 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I am not at all OCD about my runs. Most days, I wear a watch that has a stopwatch in it, and observe my total time. I have routes mapped from home of 3.1, 4 and 5.1 miles, so I know how long the run should take. I never record or log it.

I have used Runkeeper when I want to make sure I'm on a specific training pace. I've never had overheating problems, but the furthest I've run with it is five miles.

When I want to use Runkeeper, I keep my phone (Samsung S4 mini) in a Spibelt running belt. The Spibelt is really comfortable and doesn't bounce at all.

At least once or twice a week, I just run, no timing, no worrying about pace. I don't want to make it into a job.

I've also tried Trackometer. It's useless.

Return to Top
#1944245 - 07/22/14 07:12 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
SERIOUSLY OCD.

I have a spreadsheet with weekly miles that goes back to when I started running again (2005?). I also have my Garmin that tells me EVERYTHING.

Return to Top
#1944251 - 07/22/14 07:20 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Jen, I think you sent me that spreadsheet once. laugh laugh
I blame you for my OCD running then.
Just kidding!

When doing intervals how do you keep track of time if you aren't focused on a watch or a phone?

MBH - the overheating started when I started using the LifeProof case.

Return to Top
#1944252 - 07/22/14 07:22 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: QCL

When doing intervals how do you keep track of time if you aren't focused on a watch or a phone?

I have an interval timer app on my iPod.

Return to Top
#1944255 - 07/22/14 07:27 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
My intervals are all pre-programmed workouts into Runkeeper. It beeps, the nice lady tells me it's time to run fast, I do, then she beeps again, and says "Slow down, tiger!" and I do. For my intervals, I pretty much just focus on going fast, and not going X:xx pace though. I look at my results, and how they're doing over time, but not through any detailed analysis. The ones I did this week, my last quarter was a sub-6 pace and I was like: wow! that's neat, didn't even know! I like surprising myself.

Return to Top
#1944256 - 07/22/14 07:27 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Intervals can be based on distance, so I either run them on a track, or just pick a spot a pitching wedge away and run to that.

All that timing and logging just sucks the fun out it, for me.

Return to Top
#1944260 - 07/22/14 07:33 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? MyBrainHurts
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Intervals can be based on distance, so I either run them on a track, or just pick a spot a pitching wedge away and run to that.

I too sometimes like to run for approximately four feet, then call it a day. I would not include this in a log either laugh

I have distance based ones (400s, 800s, or 1600s) or time based. Also depends on if I'm doing strictly speed, or hills too.

Return to Top
#1944269 - 07/22/14 07:53 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Runkeeper has intervals?? But but but, I have been using Nike since 2008 and all my runs are in there. Sigh...such issues. laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1944274 - 07/22/14 07:58 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
when I was running a million years ago that was what I liked about it. No special equipment, charts/graphs just shoes and feet (clothing optional).

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944290 - 07/22/14 08:16 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Yes, runkeeper lets you build workouts, and you can just put in your interval structure, and tell it how many times you want it to repeat that structure. Super easy. laugh

Return to Top
#1944330 - 07/22/14 08:48 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I love my Garmin, but I am so not OCD. It does a lot of stuff that I dont use much. I also leave the watch and the ipone at home sometimes and just go run and let my body tell me what to do.
When I want to go faster i either use the virtual running partner or just go find somebody faster than me and run with them.
smile

Return to Top
#1944334 - 07/22/14 08:51 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: QCL
Jen, I think you sent me that spreadsheet once. laugh laugh
I blame you for my OCD running then.
Just kidding!

MBH - the overheating started when I started using the LifeProof case.

I take full responsibility and am quite proud young grasshopper! grin

If you don't want to do intervals with the watch/phone...do it by your breathing. Push hard enough on the "fast" that you cant get out more than a word or two in an answer. Your "recovery" part should be at conversational pace.

But...knowing your OCD tendencies...just tell the hubs you want an entry level Garmin. You'll thank me. I've had too many friends have pace issues with phone apps...they NEVER match our Garmins (not that they always match exactly, but are much closer).

Return to Top
#1944346 - 07/22/14 09:00 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Garmin 15 is entry level and will tell you most everything you want to know. Or you can go whole hog with the 910XT and it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know, plus help plan recovery, workouts, expected race pace.....
There are a couple of models in between too. smile

Return to Top
#1944348 - 07/22/14 09:02 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I have created a monster too Jen.
Hubby just sent me a screen shot of his RunKeeper app. He dropped Natalie off at volleyball camp, left his truck there and then ran to the gym, forgot to end his run, lifted, then ran back to his truck. Then he looked at his app on his phone. He was frustrated that his time wasn't right laugh laugh laugh This is my doing. smile

Return to Top
#1944378 - 07/22/14 09:55 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Sign of a "GPS runner".....
Runs past their house to the end of the block to make sure that the watch says "4 miles" instead of "3.98 miles". smile

Return to Top
#1944391 - 07/22/14 11:59 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Bankbb1, PITA
Derwood Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
Runs past their house to the end of the block to make sure that the watch says "4 miles" instead of "3.98 miles". smile

I do this all the time. I will also accept anything ending in multiples of .05 as long as it is over my targeted distance.

Return to Top
#1944403 - 07/23/14 11:40 AM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Bankbb1, PITA
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club

Another is 'loitering' in your own driveway 'waiting for satellite.'

Return to Top
#1944412 - 07/23/14 12:34 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Xian Ngyuen
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
Originally Posted By: EdSpenser
Another is 'loitering' in your own driveway 'waiting for satellite.'

So True! This past weekend I met a friend to do our training run together. While waiting for the satellites to load we were walking down the sidewalk and her 2 year old daughter came out and told us to run faster and quit walking.

Return to Top
#1944422 - 07/23/14 01:09 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i used to track runs, workouts, cycling...then realized it was pointless...now if i feel good i'll go further, if i'm hurting or just not feeling it, i'll cut it shorter...often times i head out with no distance in mind, just start riding and see where the bike takes me.

Return to Top
#1944425 - 07/23/14 01:12 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Yes, it would be 'pointless' if you had no specific goal.

Return to Top
#1944428 - 07/23/14 01:18 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Derwood
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Derwood

I do this all the time. I will also accept anything ending in multiples of .05 as long as it is over my targeted distance.

I have done this, and it's usually on a Saturday if I do (long run days). If I have a 4 mile run scheduled, I am going to run 4 miles. Even if that means running up and down my driveway (it's 0.01 miles) a few times laugh laugh .

Return to Top
#1944429 - 07/23/14 01:18 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Runkeeper is the best I've found for my area. Running in a mountainous town with hills and valley's, satellite signal isn't available in most places but RK seems to be able to track me...most of the time. wink

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett