Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1992139 - 01/29/15 03:24 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The blades are a no-no and even if you planned on just taking the razor and buying blades at your destination you might be asking for trouble. If the TSA finds the razor they may tear your luggage apart looking for the blades.

I can't find a canned foam or gel that I like so I may try some of the good stuff just to experiment. If you have really hard water, I am guessing that getting a good lather with shaving soap would be difficult.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1992181 - 01/29/15 04:11 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I have seen the Dollar Shave Club ads but I think I will stick with my electric razor. I've never been a fan of using a blade.

Return to Top
#1992188 - 01/29/15 04:18 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I've often contemplated trying a straight razor, but given the fact that I sometimes shave before I am fully awake, I am not so sure I want that deadly of a blade so close to major arteries. I also am not so sure that the upkeep of a straight razor is something I want to take on.

Return to Top
#1992201 - 01/29/15 04:49 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Yeah, I've contemplated a straight razor, just to learn to master one. It could be fun to shave with both a fine original vintage razor and a good quality new one. There's retro and then there's primitive however and a straight razor is just too primitive for me to truly enjoy. Is too "fiddly" to maintain, too slow in operation, and the hazards of wielding too great.

Our other son tried to adapt to straight razor shaving while he was in the Marine Corps. He stuck with it pretty faithfully while he was stationed at Twentynine Palms and in between deployments. He's been out for a few months now and I notice that the straight razor stuff isn't employed of late.

The razors are sort of like shooting. Shooting sports is one of my favorite hobbies. I love to own and use antique and classic cartridge arms. I don't mind occasionally preparing handloaded cartridges for 19th century Winchesters or Colts using period styled lead bullets and black powder. Never could get into muzzleloaders or percussion revolvers though. Just too primitive, fiddly, slow, and messy to be entertaining.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4