Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#2144869 - 09/05/17 07:54 PM Designation of Representative - Effective 9-1-17
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I saw this question in another forum and this is the first I have heard of it, but what are your banks doing to comply with the "designation of representative" on account and Safe Deposit Boxes? Are you providing the form at account opening(offering to customer)? This became effective September 1, 2017 and I just missed it. Any feedback would be helpful.

Return to Top
#2144876 - 09/05/17 08:22 PM Re: Designation of Representative - Effective 9-1-17 Sunshine Lady
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I found information about this:
https://comptroller.texas.gov/programs/claim-it/docs/98-828.pdf

When I followed the link to Claimtexas.org and looked under Forms and Guidelines, I found Form 98-1036, Unclaimed Property Designation of Representative. It looks like we could use this if the account holder requests it, but it isn't something I had planned on offering or providing any guidance on.

If someone else has a different opinion or process, I hope you will chime in here.

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top
#2144880 - 09/05/17 08:26 PM Re: Designation of Representative - Effective 9-1-17 Sunshine Lady
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
You may have already read this, but IBAT has Legal Ease Q & A on this: Designation of Representative
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#2144884 - 09/05/17 08:34 PM Re: Designation of Representative - Effective 9-1-17 Sunshine Lady
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
CalifDreamin, thank you. No, I had not read the IBAT Q & A. They have a different form attached than I found. I guess I am still unclear as to whether or not this should be routinely offered or just used if a customer asks about it.

Return to Top
#2144893 - 09/05/17 08:58 PM Re: Designation of Representative - Effective 9-1-17 Sunshine Lady
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I contacted IBAT and the form I found is the new form. It can be used to cover both safe deposit boxes and deposit accounts. Although it isn't required to be part of the account opening/lease process, it might be good practice to ask if the accountholder is interested in designating a representative.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z