Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#215961 - 07/26/04 09:40 PM CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have an account (gas station) that we have qualified for an exemption based upon their deposit activity... recently they have been coming in to the bank with small bills and requested to exhange for large bills (amount of exchange over $10,000), when asked why this need.. we were told the vendor they purchase cigarette for deals only in cash...

My question is becuase they are exempt is the exchange of currency also exempt? Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#215962 - 07/26/04 09:52 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Read Sec. 103.22(d) of the BSA regs...especially the part about filing SARs should the occasion arise.

Return to Top
#215963 - 07/26/04 09:56 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Anonymous
Unregistered

I beleive I have found the answer. For a Phase II Exempt Person only those transaction conducted througha transaction or money market account that is used for business puroposes of a designaed esempt person are exempt. Because this is an exchange instead of processed through an account the exchange of currency is reportable for that otherwise exempt customer.

Return to Top
#215964 - 07/26/04 09:59 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you.

Return to Top
#215965 - 07/26/04 10:00 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Yes, you have found the answer on the CTR filing.

However, exchanging small bills for large is an emblem of money laundering, particularly on this scale. Whatever your processs is for considering the filing of Suspicious Activity Reports, it should begin now.

Return to Top
#215966 - 07/26/04 10:00 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
All these cigarettes your customer is buying have been fully taxed and are legal, right?

Return to Top
#215967 - 07/26/04 10:15 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh my, the account manager has a hard time following my suggestions..I believe I will just file..or at least put the account on a watch list for the BSA committee Thanks again

Return to Top
#215968 - 07/27/04 09:54 PM Re: CTR exempt customer reportable transaction
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
I would remove the customer from your exemption list and file an SAR. It's too bad your manager is not cooperating.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z