Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2195805 - 10/18/18 02:39 PM Over advance on LOC - how to report
SaaL Offline
Gold Star
The Texas Hill Country
My bank will standardly allow for an overadvance of 5% on a commercial loc. Does this amount, when advanced, need to be reported as we would report a line increase at renewal or extension? If the overadvance only remains outstanding for a short period of time - say 30 days - does that make a difference? What if the line overadvance, say 3% this month, the line pays down below the committed amount and then 4% next month but in the same year? Or what if those overadvance occur in different years - say 3% in December and 4% in January.

Return to Top
CRA
#2195810 - 10/18/18 02:54 PM Re: Over advance on LOC - how to report SaaL
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
An over advance on a commercial LOC. Since it would not be authorized by the company, how do you ever really plan to collect the over advance? Not a great practice in my mind.

Return to Top
#2195811 - 10/18/18 02:57 PM Re: Over advance on LOC - how to report SaaL
SaaL Offline
Gold Star
The Texas Hill Country
The legality of it is a whole ‘nother Issue I know. But since we’ve done it, I’m trying to figure out how to report it for CRA.

Return to Top
#2195813 - 10/18/18 03:02 PM Re: Over advance on LOC - how to report SaaL
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Without the advance being documented with a new promissory note, I don't think it is reportable at all. You are outside of any legal obligation.

Return to Top
#2195820 - 10/18/18 03:19 PM Re: Over advance on LOC - how to report SaaL
SaaL Offline
Gold Star
The Texas Hill Country
I don’t see a reference to the “legal obligation” even though I know that makes sense. I do see the following:
Lines of Credit
Institutions must collect and report data on lines of credit in the same way that they provide data on loan originations. Lines of credit are considered originated at the time the line is approved or increased; and an increase is considered a new origination.
Generally, the full amount of the credit line is the amount that is considered originated. In the case
of an increase to an existing line, the amount of the increase is the amount that is considered originated and that amount should be reported.
And under Appendix E: Original Amount: For Loan’s draw drawn down under lines of credit or loan commitments, the “original amount” of the loan is the size of the line of credit or loan commitment ...if the amount currently outstanding as of the report date exceeds this size, the “original amount” is the amount currently outstanding on the report date.

Return to Top
#2196096 - 10/22/18 06:31 PM Re: Over advance on LOC - how to report SaaL
mrogersfib Offline
100 Club
The over advance is not reportable as it is essentially an internal policy of convenience. Rather it is an unspoken guidance line of credit, and those are not reportable unless a draw has been underwritten and an agreement drafted in the form of a promissory note. In order for an origination to occur there needs to be a legally binding change of agreement in terms. As such an amended promissory note, or a change in terms agreement would be a legal agreement between the two parties stating that the RLOC would have an extension of date or an increase in the approved overall draw limit of the loan. As such, your bank allows for over advances as a standard of operations for the purpose of customer service. Unless in the promissory note it states that such a convenience is allotted to the customer then it would be reported as a retail service.

Quote:
Schedule RC–C, Part I. §ll.42(a)—5: Should institutions collect and report data about small business and small farm loans that are refinanced or renewed?

A5. An institution should collect information about small business and small farm loans that it refinances or renews as loan originations. (A refinancing generally occurs when the existing loan obligation or note is satisfied and a new note is written, while a renewal refers to an extension of the term of a loan. However, for purposes of small business and small farm CRA data collection and reporting, it is not necessary to distinguish between the two.) When reporting small business and small farm data, however, an institution may only report one origination (including a renewal or refinancing treated as an origination) per loan per year, unless an increase in the loan amount is granted. However, a demand loan that is merely reviewed annually is not reported as a renewal because the term of the loan has not been extended.

If an institution increases the amount of a small business or small farm loan when it extends the term of the loan, it should always report the amount of the increase as a small business or small farm loan origination. The institution should report only the amount of the increase if the original or remaining amount of the loan has already been reported one time that year. For example, a financial institution makes a term loan for $25,000; principal payments have resulted in a present outstanding balance of $15,000. In the next year, the customer requests an additional $5,000, which is approved, and a new note is written for $20,000. In this example, the institution should report both the $5,000 increase and the renewal or refinancing of the $15,000 as originations for that year. These two originations may be reported together as a single origination of $20,000.

Return to Top