Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2201525 - 12/27/18 05:32 PM Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability
In It Together Offline
New Poster
I heard that the new rule that goes into effect in 2019 can apply even if the FI does not issue prepaid cards. If the FI does not issue prepaid cards or credit cards and only issues ATM and debit cards, please direct me to the sections in the revised Reg. E/Reg. Z that could apply.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2201541 - 12/27/18 06:47 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would go back to whom you "heard" this from and ask them for an explanation. It is better than chasing windmills. If you don't issue pre-paid cards directly or those from a third party - the new paid rules will have no impact on your organization.

Return to Top
#2201622 - 12/28/18 03:05 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability rlcarey
In It Together Offline
New Poster
It was a firm offering a webinar. Thanks for confirming that it would not apply, which is what I thought.

Return to Top
#2201626 - 12/28/18 03:29 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
Bville Offline
Diamond Poster
Bville
Out West
You may not have physical pre-paid cards, but do you offer a digital wallet that can store funds? Those are covered by the rule.

Return to Top
#2206605 - 02/20/19 07:45 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability Bville
In It Together Offline
New Poster
Yes, we offer digital wallets. It is not clear to me what our obligations would be under the new prepaid card rule, though. The model forms don't seem to apply.

Return to Top
#2207814 - 03/05/19 05:01 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
My bank offers HSA accounts. Withdrawals from these accounts can be via electronic transfer, check or by using a "prepaid card". The card can be used as a debit/credit card, at an ATM, is nontransferable and may be canceled, repossessed or revoked at anytime. If the account from which the funds are coming from is considered a deposit account, does the new prepaid card rule apply?

Return to Top
#2207859 - 03/05/19 08:34 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
No. From Reg E new section 1005.3(b)(3)(ii)(A) --
(ii) For purposes of paragraph (b)(3)(i)(C) and (D) of this section, the term “prepaid account” does not include:

(A) An account that is loaded only with funds from a health savings account, flexible spending arrangement, medical savings account, health reimbursement arrangement, dependent care assistance program, or transit or parking reimbursement arrangement;
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2207885 - 03/05/19 11:23 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks John

Return to Top
#2208005 - 03/06/19 08:19 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Glad to hear you smile!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2208152 - 03/07/19 07:27 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
e6edd Offline
New Poster
Hello.

My first post.

Would the definition of a payroll card account include a regular employee checking account where their
Pay is deposited each month electronically & that account is opened when their employment with the bank commences

Our compliance consulting service has said the prepaid rule would apply to these accounts. No prepaid cards associated with it only a normal debit card they can use whenever & whenever. Thanks

Return to Top
#2208897 - 03/18/19 03:45 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability Bville
In It Together Offline
New Poster
What is the bank's obligation for digital wallets?

Return to Top
#2209035 - 03/19/19 06:37 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability e6edd
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By e6edd
Hello.

My first post.

Would the definition of a payroll card account include a regular employee checking account where their
Pay is deposited each month electronically & that account is opened when their employment with the bank commences

Our compliance consulting service has said the prepaid rule would apply to these accounts. No prepaid cards associated with it only a normal debit card they can use whenever & whenever. Thanks

Bump ^

Return to Top
#2209074 - 03/20/19 01:51 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Hey e6edd,

I did a few hours of research on this topic and my understanding is that such an account would not be a "payroll card account." The Regulatory language on this topic seems simple enough and if you read it literally, it would seem that such an account woulf be a "payroll card account." However, when you read the Final Rule and all of the background and history regarding payroll card accounts, it seems clear that this refers to a type of loadable card product that functions as an alternative to a traditional deposit account. I am open to being wrong on this, but the preponderance of evidence I am finding in the Final Rule discussion makes me uncomfortable in concluding that a checking account where the customer can make ATM withdrawals, write checks, deposit checks, and do all the other transactions that a checking account can do would be considered a "payroll card account" for purposes of Reg. E.

Return to Top
#2209116 - 03/20/19 06:20 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Can someone explain how the new rules affect digital wallets? I've been trying to research how (if) this will affect us.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2209141 - 03/20/19 09:57 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Does your digital wallet permit a consumer to store funds "in" the wallet, or does it only serve as a conduit for transactions via card accounts accessible via the wallet (debit card, credit cards)?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2209148 - 03/21/19 12:18 PM Re: Prepaid Card New Rule Applicability In It Together
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
It only allows for transactions via card accounts.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett