Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2252508 - 04/16/21 07:13 PM ACH over phone fee
WDCA Offline
We are looking to charge a fee for one time ACH loan payments that are requested by calling our customer service dept. We would debit the customers account at another bank and credit their loan with us. We would record the ach authorization over the phone as well as disclose the fee during the conversation with the customer. Should the fee be a separate ACH entry from the payment amount debited?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2252624 - 04/19/21 06:09 PM Re: ACH over phone fee WDCA
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It really is more of a business/operational decision. If for some reason the customer does not have the money in the other account, do you want to set them up for another $35 OD fee for a $3-5 service fee?

Return to Top
#2252646 - 04/20/21 12:12 AM Re: ACH over phone fee WDCA
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
I'd also look at CFPB Compliance Bulletin on Phone Payment Fees regarding disclosing fees for various payment options.

Return to Top
#2255479 - 06/17/21 05:00 PM Re: ACH over phone fee WDCA
MTW75 Offline
Lexington, Kentucky
I'd consider creating two separate ACH Entries; one for the actual loan payment amount and one for the fee. This not only makes the accounting easier and the account statement transaction disclosures clearer, it might also prevent a loan payment from going past due if the account to be debited had enough funds for the loan amount but not enough for the loan payment + the service fee.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett