Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#231634 - 08/13/04 03:00 PM BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have heard that the agencies are being tough on BSA exams, beleive every word of it. MOU's are being handed out with very little cause. Even if you beleive you have perfection, your program will probabley get critized.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#231635 - 08/13/04 06:31 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Starter Offline
Platinum Poster
Starter
NJ
What agency were you just reviewed by?

Return to Top
#231636 - 08/13/04 08:02 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

FDIC....harshness is a result of Riggs National

Return to Top
#231637 - 08/13/04 10:09 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you know what rolls downhill. They were lax, banks became lax, they got snubbed, now they are going to go guns to the walls to nail anyone they can.

Return to Top
#231638 - 08/14/04 12:10 AM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anon,

This is Dolly -I'm too lazy to log in. Hey - where is your bank located? If you don't want to be too specific, give the general area.

Return to Top
#231639 - 08/14/04 02:35 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
And, as long as you are anon, what types of things they looked at, looked for, what they considered insufficient, etc. Nothing that would identify your bank.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#231640 - 08/18/04 06:50 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
tiner Offline
tiner
South Carolina
Quote:

what types of things they looked at, looked for, what they considered insufficient, etc

I am being examined by FRB as I write this. One thing that they are big into now is risk assessments. Labeling different types of accounts and different businesses and different geographies as high risk and having specific procedures on how customers would be on this list, how they would be monitored and when you would remove them. They also suggested having a "threshold" set for each customer on your list so that if they exceed this threshold that would be an automatic red flag. One thing they said will be on the "best practice list" will be to monitor all new accounts that are opened for 90 days. I don't think they realize that we open over 500 new accounts per month and I'm the only BSA/AML Officer (along with Compliance & CRA). How in the world they think this a achievable is beyond me.
Sorry, I had to vent for a moment. I think I'm OK now.

Return to Top
#231641 - 08/18/04 08:33 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

I'm the only BSA/AML Officer (along with Compliance & CRA). How in the world they think this a achievable is beyond me.
Sorry, I had to vent for a moment. I think I'm OK now.

One thing you can expect is that your regulator will tell management they need more employees in this area, and they had better be qualifed employees.

A handy thing to do is find and dust off the old "Know Your Customer" proposal, because just about EVERYTHING that was in that proposal, you know....the one that was shot down due to OVERWHELMING public protest? - just about everything is now being enforced against financial institutions as a de facto regulation.

To add to the irony - since we have all experienced increased costs due to BSA programs and enforcement, we now find that Gramm-Leach-Bliley and (in California) SB-1 LIMITS our ability to reach out to customers for affiliates in order to generate additional income.

(Privacy - my eye!)

Return to Top
#231642 - 08/18/04 09:20 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

One thing you can expect is that your regulator will tell management they need more employees in this area, and they had better be qualifed employees.

BonnieM, I don't mean this as a tag to you, but have you ever seen senior management want to add staff to BSA/Compliance/Audit areas? It is like pulling teeth to get them to staff these areas, as they have high overhead and no return (remember, most sr. mgmt. are revenue/results driven). One way to monitor the accounts opened and closed within 90 days is to make it the responsibility of the account officer who opened the account, and have them do a monthly recap on all closed accounts that were opened by them in under 90 days. There are ways to put these suggestions into place without having all of the burden placed on you.

Return to Top
#231643 - 08/18/04 09:23 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Quote:

have you ever seen senior management want to add staff to BSA/Compliance/Audit areas?

Yes - after a very bad examination report!

Return to Top
#231644 - 08/18/04 09:26 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
exactly...as a response to the caca hitting the fan, not as a preventive measure to turn the fan off!

Return to Top
#231645 - 08/18/04 09:31 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It seems to be the only way some people learn. They never learn by watching other banks have problems. I have worked at a bank that always tried to do things correctly, it was their way of doing business because they felt it made them more efficient, limited problems with regulators, and allowed them to focus on money making activities.

Return to Top
#231646 - 08/18/04 09:32 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
First - let me post this for those who didn't save the infamous KYC proposal:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/press/boardacts/1998/19981207/R-1019.pdf

Quote:

One way to monitor the accounts opened and closed within 90 days is to make it the responsibility of the account officer who opened the account, and have them do a monthly recap on all closed accounts that were opened by them in under 90 days. There are ways to put these suggestions into place without having all of the burden placed on you.

In many places, there is less a chance of that happening then of hiring more staff.

Return to Top
#231647 - 08/18/04 09:56 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

First - let me post this for those who didn't save the infamous KYC proposal:

<a href="KYC Proposal from 1999" target="_blank">http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/press/boardacts/1998/19981207/R-1019.pdf</a>

This didn't show up as available, is there another place to view it?

Return to Top
#231648 - 08/18/04 10:05 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Try this link:
http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/press/boardacts/1998/19981207/default.htm

And scroll to the bottom and click on "Summary and Proposed Rule"

Since it's a PDF document, you may just want to go ahead and save it to your computer.

(And remember when we foolishly rejoiced when this proposal was withdrawn?)
Last edited by Bonnie M; 08/18/04 10:07 PM.

Return to Top
#231649 - 08/18/04 10:18 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bonnie! For those regulated by the OTS, here is a link to their proposed rule that was published in the 12/7/98 issue of the Federal Register. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=1998_register&docid=98-32335-filed.pdf

Return to Top
#231650 - 08/18/04 10:25 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Quote:

One way to monitor the accounts opened and closed within 90 days is to make it the responsibility of the account officer who opened the account, and have them do a monthly recap on all closed accounts that were opened by them in under 90 days. There are ways to put these suggestions into place without having all of the burden placed on you.

[quote/]In many places, there is less a chance of that happening then of hiring more staff.

That was my first thought as well, Bonnie. In some banks the business would suggest that more staff be added in compliance before they would take on that role. Sometimes that can be a way to get staff -- suggest that compliance not do it due to the need to add staff but the monitoring can be done in the business unit!

Return to Top
#231651 - 08/18/04 10:29 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Thanks for the fixed link. Now my other question, how often should these transactions be looked at in general, and what is a good transaction amount threshold is the general populace using? $5,000? Thanks again.

Return to Top
#231652 - 08/18/04 11:49 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I would hesitate to post any guidelines on a public forum regarding the transaction threshold to monitor. A lot will depend on your customer base, and what dollar amount are "normal" transactions conducted.

Also, you should probably have different triggers for different types of accounts - i.e. consumer accounts would have a different monitoring level than business accounts. Also, among business types, you would probably have a lower cash threshold for an attorney than you would a convenience store. With wires, you might want to look at any wire that a convenience store would send out, but not look at too many wires for an Escrow Company.

Risk Assessment - Prioritize!
Last edited by Bonnie M; 08/19/04 12:03 AM.

Return to Top
#231653 - 08/19/04 12:56 AM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This was our experience also (FDIC - New York office). Prepare for everything: from detailed transaction testing to scrutinizing trial balances...

Return to Top
#231654 - 08/19/04 05:35 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
How large of a bank are you? Are you urban or rural?

Return to Top
#231655 - 08/19/04 06:14 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

About $3billion urban bank

Return to Top
#231656 - 08/19/04 07:06 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
skinnyminny Offline
Gold Star
skinnyminny
Heaven in comparison to my pri...
As Bonnie said, your threshold is dependent upon your customer base, account types, transaction activity, etc.

Create a form for branch managers to complete when the accounts have been open for 90 days. Include items such as: account owners, date last visit (businesses), related accounts, type of business, cash transaction activity,wire transfer activity, purchase of monetary instruments, etc.

Have the branch managers (or account officer) complete the form and sign it, then send it to the BSA Officer for review. Based upon your review-classify the risk as high, medium, or low (or whatever rating system you prefer). Determine if you want to continue monitoring the account and when to perform your next review (if any).

Return to Top
#231657 - 08/19/04 07:54 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My management is adamant that account officers are out there to sell, sell, sell and they don't want them bogged down with monitoring activity, so it is moved to a backroom where an employee who knows nothing about the customer tries to monitor activity. Hmmmmm...

Return to Top
#231658 - 08/20/04 04:28 AM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

My management is adamant that account officers are out there to sell, sell, sell and they don't want them bogged down with monitoring activity, so it is moved to a backroom where an employee who knows nothing about the customer tries to monitor activity. Hmmmmm...

Quick rememdy for that is to tell the account officer that the activity in the account does not appear to have a reasonable business explanation and therefore you will send a letter to the customer that the account will be closed...... unless of course the account manager can get you the information within the next 10 days.

Return to Top
#231659 - 08/20/04 11:43 AM Re: BSA exam - watch out!

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Quote:

They should be out selling - or we all go home. But to compensate, you need to establish norms for those customers. That is where a monitoring system can help rather than trying to do this manually. You can set profiles and triggers if things change.

Return to Top
#231660 - 08/20/04 03:09 PM Re: BSA exam - watch out!
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

Quote:

I'm the only BSA/AML Officer (along with Compliance & CRA). How in the world they think this a achievable is beyond me.

Quote:

They will definately tell your management that more help is needed. This happened to us. It was during a Compliance examinaton when they discovered that I was wearing too many hats. They suggested that management get someone to do BSA and also to enter HMDA and CRA data into the software. I was sooooooooooo thankful.....

Now, we've experienced a BSA examination with FDIC. We did fine........One thing that they did question was Money Servicing Businesses. But all in all they were not too rough on us.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z