Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#423283 - 09/16/05 02:39 PM Re: Best Concert
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Tori Amos - 1996 or 1997
I got to sit in on her sound check with 5 or 6 other people and it was incredible!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#423284 - 09/16/05 02:50 PM Re: Best Concert
Nuts Offline
1. Motle Crue, 1998 (just coming back from the long split) - had backstage passes and front row seats which put this one over the top. The actual concert was probably a 9.

2. Van Halen, circa 1992, Omaha, NE

3. Guns N Roses, 1993 or 94, Omaha, Great show. They went accoustic for the last half of the show, just sitting on a couch.

I just saw Styx at the NE State Fair, and I have to say for an old band, it may be in my top 5. I couldn't believe how good they were. I don't listen to them much (I don't own any of their CD's), but Mr. Roboto was one of the first LP's I ever purchasd.

Return to Top
#423285 - 09/16/05 03:06 PM Re: Best Concert
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

I still have the ticket stub. I'll look when i get home tonite. i don't think it was in 69. i'm pretty sure it was 1970 but then again I grew up in the 60's. I wish i could of said Woodstock but I had a job and had to work.--pale w.

Anon may have attended the show Hendrix put on on June 27, 1970 at Boston Garden. I found this set list for the show on the internet:

Stone Free // Lover Man // Red House // Freedom // Foxey Lady // Purple Haze // Star Spangled Banner // All Along The Watchtower // Message To Love // Fire // Spanish Castle Magic // Hey Baby // Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

I'm sure this was an awesome show. Other songs that would've been awesome to hear live: Hey Joe, Castles Made of Sand, Manic Depression and Axis: Bold As Love.

Return to Top
#423286 - 09/16/05 03:30 PM Re: Best Concert
Paul Franklin Offline
100 Club
Bothell, Washington
Bon Jovi at BC Place (Vancouver, BC) when Skid Row opened for them. Motley Crue did a song with Skid Row, and Aerosmith came out and did one with Bon Jovi. This was back in the late 80's when Little Mountain Sound was the place to record...

And Nuts just jarred my memory...last year at the Puyallup Fair...Reo Speedwagon and Styx...(saw them a few years ago at the Gorge too). Great show, and the lead singer of Reo Speedwagon was amazed that the place was packed...in the pouring rain.
Last edited by Paul Franklin; 09/16/05 03:33 PM.
Return to Top
#423287 - 09/16/05 03:37 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Sugar Ros, radio city music hall. (I will kiss anyone who knows who they are!)

Pixie

i don't know who they are but they were playing at the tower theatre, down the street from me.

does this count? pucker up

Return to Top
#423288 - 09/16/05 03:37 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Sugar Ros, radio city music hall. (I will kiss anyone who knows who they are!)

Pixie

i don't know who they are but they were playing at the tower theatre, down the street from me.

does this count? pucker up

Return to Top
#423289 - 09/16/05 03:39 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

hee, hee, I'll give you a peck on the cheek for at least living somewhere that they would play.

Pixie

Return to Top
#423290 - 09/16/05 03:41 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

What kind of music do they play?

The place was packed last week when they were here.

Return to Top
#423291 - 09/16/05 03:51 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

very cool, I'm going to see them in Madison next weekend.

they're from Iceland, the music is very, how do you say.........Icelandic. The lyrics are nonsencical (SP?) the lead singer made up his own language. Their CD's have no track names, and no words or pictures or anything, very mysterious. At the radio city show there was a trippy light show that went with the music, very cool!
Pixie

Return to Top
#423292 - 09/16/05 03:53 PM Re: Best Concert
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
What kind of music do they play? Is it folk-like?

I listen to alot of bands from Sweden and other parts of Europe but they are metal bands. I haven't heard of any bands from Iceland.

Return to Top
#423293 - 09/16/05 03:57 PM Re: Best Concert
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
The Best concerts I've attended are the ones I produce

www.ianui.com

Return to Top
#423294 - 09/16/05 03:58 PM Re: Best Concert
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
You like Lunatica?

Return to Top
#423295 - 09/16/05 03:59 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's really not like anything I've ever heard before, think Yanni meets Bjork at a hipster spa with a guy, you know the kind where everthing looks like it came from a really really expensive Ikea?

does that help?

Return to Top
#423296 - 09/16/05 04:01 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

mentally delete the "with a guy" line, I didn't backspace far enough

Return to Top
#423297 - 09/16/05 04:01 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

Too many to name, but here goes....

Marshall Tucker Band...anytime!
Todd Rundgren and Utopia, 2nd Row Center
Rush (too many tours to remember which one) but Row 1!
Peter Tosh
World Series of Rock in Milwaukee (3 concerts at County Stadium)
Pink Floyd Animals Tour
Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour
Rolling Stones Some Girls and Steel Wheels Tours
REM Green Tour

Now some intimate shows (small venues, etc.)

Van Halen before they released their first album at Hooker Lake Inn near Lake Geneva, WI. Van Halen and all the beer you could drink for $5. Very small bar that was a converted barn. UNBELIEVABLE show!

Cheap Trick--I helped them set up their equipment, got to sit back stage.

Metallica--Backstage and Mosh Pit at Alpine Valley

Ramones--First row at Headliners in Madison, WI

There are more but this is a good sampling.

Return to Top
#423298 - 09/16/05 04:04 PM Re: Best Concert
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

You like Lunatica?

Never heard of them, what are they like?

Return to Top
#423299 - 09/16/05 04:07 PM Re: Best Concert
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
hmmm, kind of like Lita Ford and The Orchestrator for The Lord of the Rings movies made a band. It's Epic Rock. Good stuff though! I really liked their song Avalon. You can find them on the net and download some sample music to try it out.

Return to Top
#423300 - 09/16/05 04:11 PM Re: Best Concert
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Second best would probably be Eric Clapton with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.

Happy, I think we have similar tastes (and are of the same "vintage"). I saw him on that tour also - great show. Couple of years before (or after, can't remember anymore), I also saw Clapton with Phil Collins playing drums. Opening act was Robert Cray!! That one was right up there.

Have to say though, probably the best concert was George Thorogood at a little place called Le Palais in Paris. He may be monodimensional, but he is a consummate showman. Played a solid three hours, and if you didn't have fun, you didn't have a pulse.

Return to Top
#423301 - 09/16/05 04:12 PM Re: Best Concert
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Sounds kind of like Blind Guardian. Blind Guardian's one record; Nightfall in Middle Earth is about the Silmirillan (Sp?) that actually takes place before Lord of the Rings.

I'll have to ask my brother, he knows all of those epic power metal bands.

Where are they from?

Return to Top
#423302 - 09/16/05 04:13 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

are they iclandic too?

sounds similar to sugar ros. Isn't it fun trying to describe stuff like that?

pixie

Return to Top
#423303 - 09/16/05 04:15 PM Re: Best Concert
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
Sweden, that's why I was curious if you'd heard of them. Not a lot of people in the US get a chance to hear modern music from around the world.=, so I like it when I hear bands mentioned that aren't in the US top 40. I'm currently listening to this Korean Ska band called Witches.

Return to Top
#423304 - 09/16/05 04:22 PM Re: Best Concert
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
The bands from Sweden that I listen to are;
Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy. They have a metal sound that is really influencing alot of the new American Bands.

You're right though, there is alot of good music outside the US that you don't get to hear because of commercial radio. I just got Sirius and I hear alot of good new bands. It's a shame really because there are alot of American bands that blow away alot of stuff commercial radio is playing that aren't getting recognition.

Return to Top
#423305 - 09/16/05 04:26 PM Re: Best Concert
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband is really into music. He is always in the know with American and International (particularly British, Irish, and Scandinavian) collage/hipster/folk/indie/and jazz music, so I cheat and rely on his expertice. He's funny, though, he only likes em' untill people have heard of em', then they are not "cool" anymore.

Pixie

Return to Top
#423306 - 09/16/05 04:28 PM Re: Best Concert
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
I love In Flames. I have Cloud Connected on my mp3 player right now. So how do you like Sirius radio? I've been wanting it but I'm still not sure.

Return to Top
#423307 - 09/16/05 04:30 PM Re: Best Concert
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
I bought/rec'd Sirius because of Howard Stern. That is the main reason i got it.
Other than him, it is great. They have NFL/NHL, great music and comedy stations. I like the heavy metal and that channel is great. They play alot of unreleased stuff, live stuff, new stuff. The comedy stations are great. I really like it and it's cheap, $13 a month.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5