Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#559489 - 05/30/06 12:06 AM Does Trust have to have REAL name?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
We have a customer who has established a revocable, grantor trust called "Golden Morning Rev. Trust." He is inquiring about FDIC insurance, and I'm guessing that if the Trust states that a) it is a grantor trust and b) he has named and qualified beneficiaries who will receive the funds in the Trust when he dies - it would be insured in the Revocable Trust category. Is that correct? I've never seen a grantor, Revocable Trust NOT in a person's name.
Last edited by BBoyd; 05/30/06 05:21 PM.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#559490 - 06/02/06 12:55 PM Re: Does Trust have to have REAL name?
etm614 Offline
Platinum Poster
etm614
Massachusetts
I don't believe that the trust has to include the grantor's name, although it seems customary. We have recently seen some older trusts that do not even give a name!

Return to Top
#559491 - 06/07/06 02:50 AM Re: Does Trust have to have REAL name?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
As an update to my own question, I spoke with an attorney at the FDIC, who stated that no, a Formal Trust does not have to bear a "real" name. To qualify as insurable, however, it must be a "testimentary trust"; the intent of the grantor to pay funds to a named and qualified beneficiary must be clear. Because we only had the Certificate of Trust Existence, she suggested contacting the customer and asking who will receive the funds in the accounts titled in the Trust when he passes away. His response will give us more information to be able to determine whether or not the funds are covered in the Revocable Trust category.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett