Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread Options
#61745 - 02/19/03 08:50 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

As a kid I used to say, "I've seen that before", or anything similar. And my dad would say, "it had to be before, it couldn't have been after".

Surely the "before" indicates earlier than "now". E.g. Your father points at a bird and you say "I've seen it", this answer means I've seen it now, as opposed to "I've seen it before", which means you saw in previously, say, yesterday.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#61746 - 02/19/03 10:32 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I've got a compilation of a number of these redundancies titled "Dog Puppies". Some of my favorites:
Close proximity
Combine together
Advance warning
Absolutely essential
Foreign imports
Personal opinion
Unexpected surprise
Drop down

How about "very unique"? Look up the definition of unique and very cannot qualify it. It is either unique or not.

Return to Top
#61747 - 02/20/03 01:59 AM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Must disagree. If you say "I've seen it," you are referring to the past. (You might also say, "I saw it.") If you are referring to the present, you would say "I see it."

Return to Top
#61748 - 02/20/03 02:02 AM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I was in Texas not long ago, I think in Texas the correct phrase would be "I done sawed it"

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#61749 - 02/20/03 12:30 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
As long as we are all publicly displaying just how anal we are, I have to say that "strictly prohibited" drives me crazy...like in a theatre...use of flash cameras is strictly prohibited. Can you be more prohibited than prohibited? Perhaps it is meant to imply "we mean it, we will enforce?".

I will tell you also that not too long ago a mortgage banker of many years experience referred to our physical locations as "bricks and water"...not too permanent, obviously.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#61750 - 02/20/03 03:25 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Quote:

I was in Texas not long ago, I think in Texas the correct phrase would be "I done sawed it"

That would be confusing if they were talking about lumber!

Return to Top
#61751 - 02/20/03 03:59 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Quote:

Depending on the tense being used, "I done seen it" might also be correct.

Return to Top
#61752 - 02/20/03 04:07 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
OK, tangent again - question: where is everyone getting the fun graphics to link to their profile? (And please don't tell me to do a yahoo or google search on free gifs because that gives me a list of sites that give me headaches..... TIA!)

Return to Top
#61753 - 02/20/03 04:16 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
EGB, As I scroll up this list of posts, are you calling Ted and Dawnie funny looking, or just fun?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#61754 - 02/20/03 04:22 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

EGB, As I scroll up this list of posts, are you calling Ted and Dawnie funny looking, or just fun?

LOL. Ummmmmmm, can I plead the fifth?! J/K, guys. No, I've seen lots of cool new graphics (Kara has one)and I want one too, but all the sites I can find are not ones that give you a URL link, and I believe that is what this site requires for profile pix. I guess I can always email a mod with my choice of pix, but if anyone happens to have a site or two with linkable URL pix, that would be more fun..... and I wouldn't have to bother a mod.

Return to Top
#61755 - 02/20/03 04:26 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The best thing is to place a photo/image/icon on a web site you maintain or to give it to BOL for theirs.

Linking to another site can work and this is minimal bandwidth, but a lot of Webmasters don't like deep linking where you use their server and bandwidth and they get nothing in return. Some don't mind. But I think Netiquette requires you ask.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#61756 - 02/20/03 04:35 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

Must disagree. If you say "I've seen it," you are referring to the past. (You might also say, "I saw it.") If you are referring to the present, you would say "I see it."

You are correct in describing what someone should say, but this thread is discussing what people do say, and the two are clearly quite different!

.... And I still contend that there is a legitimate difference between "I have seen it [recently]", and "I have seen it before [at some earlier time]".

Return to Top
#61757 - 02/20/03 04:49 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
ExGovtBabe:

What you can do is go to a site like: www.dgl.microsoft.com
It has a ton of clip art. Once you have found a picture that you like:
1. Left click to open the specific picture you would like (you should only have to do this on the microsoft clipart site)
2. Then do a right click on it with your mouse, a menu will appear
3. Go to the very bottom and click on properties, another box will appear.
4. Write down the ADDRESS information, it sometimes is two lines so make sure to get it all.
5. Then go to My Home here on BOL,
6. Go to your personal information and enter the address that you wrote down in the URL to add a picture!

You can do a right click on almost any picture you see to get its URL address!
Last edited by NCAA nut; 02/20/03 05:02 PM.

Return to Top
#61758 - 02/20/03 04:58 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

OK, tangent again - question: where is everyone getting the fun graphics to link to their profile? (And please don't tell me to do a yahoo or google search on free gifs because that gives me a list of sites that give me headaches..... TIA!)

I think you should ask Zaibatsu. He seems to be the expert in that arena.

Return to Top
#61759 - 02/20/03 05:25 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I'm having so much fun, I hate to give up my secret. I'll have to think about it.

P.S. Would Colonel Sanders give up his secret recipe?
Last edited by zaibatsu; 02/20/03 05:59 PM.

Return to Top
#61760 - 02/20/03 05:27 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I don't SEE the difference.

Return to Top
#61761 - 02/20/03 06:14 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

I don't SEE the difference.

I thought of another example that I use at work in internal audit.

Somebody brings me a finding/ observation and I may say "I've seen that", meaning that I am already aware of that specific finding/ observation. I may also say "I've seen that before", meaning that I have seen the same finding/ observation on another audit and/or at another bank months or years earlier.

Adding the word "before" has the effect of pushing the tense of the verb "to see" further back in time. Whether or not this is proper usage of English is debatable, but I think that most people would understand what is being said from the context.

'Nuff said?

Return to Top
#61762 - 02/20/03 06:15 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Regarding redundancies: As my old college English professor would say, "Speaking in that manner is like putting ketchup on tomatoes."

Return to Top
#61763 - 02/20/03 06:17 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

"Speaking in that manner is like putting ketchup on tomatoes."

You mean you don't, Nanwa?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#61764 - 02/20/03 06:24 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

... "Speaking in that manner is like putting ketchup on tomatoes."

Ketchup contains more suger than tomatoes , ... but that's a different matter!

Return to Top
#61765 - 02/20/03 06:42 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Kara, you're my hero!!!! Only one small thing - on the URL below, don't use www before the dgl, or it won't work. Huzzah!!! I owe you one.

Quote:

ExGovtBabe:

What you can do is go to a site like: www.dgl.microsoft.com

Return to Top
#61766 - 02/20/03 06:52 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Glad I could help! I had actually seen a Screen Bean (my favorite clip are character)that was pregnant. So cute! It made me think about you! I hope all is going well with you and all the other BOL expectant parents!

Ok-I'm not to sure how I put a quote box withing a quote box...oh well!

Quote:

Kara, you're my hero!!!!
Quote:

Last edited by NCAA nut; 02/20/03 06:55 PM.

Return to Top
#61767 - 02/20/03 07:45 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
The debate about meaning really should focus on what the hearer hears, not on what the speaker intends. If I were the hearer, I would not recognize a difference in your two phrases. If it were an important distinction, you would be hard pressed to fault me for not recognizing the difference (though as we know everything is the fault of attorneys).

The above notwithstanding, if it is your husband or wife of several years, surely she or he would have noticed the subtlety in your phraseology. If not, he or she probably stopped listening sometime after, "I now pronounce you...."

Return to Top
#61768 - 02/20/03 07:48 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
zaibatsu: You are much younger looking than I imagined!

Return to Top
#61769 - 02/20/03 08:17 PM Re: Frivolity--regarding Anonymous posting
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

.... you would be hard pressed to fault me for not recognizing the difference ....

..... which is why I refered to the importance of context. To elaborate on my earlier example, I would probably say "I've seen that before, when I was at X Bank", as opposed to "I've seen that, I noticed it when I was reviewing the file yesterday". Of course you could argue that the "before" is now redundant, which is where we started!

If you take a handful of words out their context there are usually multiple possible interpretations. That is half the beauty of the English language.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8