Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#765869 - 06/29/07 11:37 PM Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statements
Compliance4521 Offline
Platinum Poster
Compliance4521
Washington
We are implementing e-Statements. In our current paper process we include the required Reg. E Error resolution notice in the abbreviated format on the reverse side of the periodic statements.

My question is this: in the e-Statement environment the customer obtains the abbreviated reg. E notice but it is provided by why of a link to access it. Since it is not a 'non by-passable' link, does this meet the requirements of providing Reg. E required disclosures?

Lori

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#766299 - 07/02/07 04:46 PM Re: Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statements Compliance4521
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I haven't seen an opinion on this, but I wouldn't like it. The e-statement is generally a stand alone document and one the consumer can retain. A link only puts the customer at a disadvantage if they can't use the link for some reason. They can't read the important information. The idea is to give the existing customer the required disclosure, not a link. Links work sometimes, but I wouldn't favor it here.

I recommend using the abbreviated on paper statements. You could save bandwidth on the e-statements by going to the annual notice.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#766429 - 07/02/07 06:26 PM Re: Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statements Andy_Z
Compliance4521 Offline
Platinum Poster
Compliance4521
Washington
That was my thoughts as well. Let me throw this at you...we wil be sending e-statement customers an email letting them know their statements are available for viewing. What are your thoughts on putting the Reg. E alternative verbiage directly within this email....We could let modify our e-sign consent to indicate the important information within this email.....

Just thinking outside the box on this one. The only other alternative I see is to do an annual mailing of the Reg. E notice, along with the annual privacy notice.

Lori

Return to Top
#767020 - 07/03/07 02:02 PM Re: Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statements Compliance4521
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Check out what your customers have agreed to receive electronically. If your eSign "demonstrable consent" only covers statements, you can't simply start sending other required disclosures (such as the error resolution notice or Reg E change in terms notices) electronically, too.

However, if consumers consent to e-delivery of the other Reg E disclosures and notices, then you'd be OK delivering bits and bytes instead of paper. If you use the "long form" annual disclosure, you can certainly use email (there's no personal information included), and it need not be sent "on or with" a periodic statement. You could, I think, just send an annual email notice that important information about error resolution is available on your web site (and provide a link directly to that information).

If you use the short form notice, it's supposed to be provided "on or with" periodic statements. IMO, pushing the disclosure to your consumer who has to pull a statement doesn't meet the "on or with" test. I suggest that if you push statements, you should include the notice with the pushed statement. If your statements are to be pulled down, include the notice with the pulled statement. In neither case should you include a link to the short form notice, because the notice would not be "on or with" the statement.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#767058 - 07/03/07 02:36 PM Re: Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statem Compliance4521
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: Lori4521
In the e-Statement environment the customer obtains the abbreviated reg. E notice but it is provided by way of a link to access it. Since it is not a 'non by-passable' link, does this meet the requirements of providing Reg. E required disclosures?

The only time the issue of a non-bypassable link comes into play is
"When a consumer contracts for an EFT service on the Internet and will be able immediately to initiate a fund transfer...."

Return to Top
#767509 - 07/03/07 06:32 PM Re: Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statem Richard Insley
Compliance4521 Offline
Platinum Poster
Compliance4521
Washington
Oh the logistics of it all...and the system limitations...don't you just love compliance Actually, it is fun trying to find a way to make it work.

Thanks for all the assistance.
Lori

Return to Top
#767947 - 07/04/07 02:27 AM Re: Abbreviated Error-resolution notice & e-statem Compliance4521
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:
Actually, it is fun trying to find a way to make it work.

The attitude of a compliance professional. I look forward to more of your posts.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z