Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#417296 - 09/01/05 03:51 PM Restraining orders - how are you handling these?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We get piles of restraining orders in from lawyers. We can tell that the lawyers are just sending them to every bank in the state to try and find someone. How are you handling these? We want to charge for checking our files and getting back to them. Can we? Is there a reg that covers what are responsibilities are regarding restraining orders ( not subpoenas)? Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#417297 - 09/02/05 05:30 PM Re: Restraining orders - how are you handling these?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The term "restraining order" may be unique to your state; it does not fit in any banking context that I am aware of. Is your reference to an order that is aimed at taking your customer's deposits?

Return to Top
#417298 - 09/02/05 06:12 PM Re: Restraining orders - how are you handling thes
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Yes, we get a notice of subpoens/restraining order. If we have an account for the customer, we freeze the funds. Typically used in looking for deadbeats dadas, etc. but also used very liberally to find any person for a small claims issue, etc. For everyone's info, there is no solution to the piles of these received. We cannot by law charge a fee (in NYS). Thanks for the interest.

Return to Top