Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1798034 - 03/25/13 05:09 PM Rep payee signing rights upon death of beneficiary
JMC Offline
New Poster
Massachusetts
I am looking for clarification on what happens to a Rep Payee's signing authority when the beneficiary of the money dies. Below, I have cut and pasted from the Rep Payee Handbook on the Social Security Website.

If the beneficiary dies
If the beneficiary dies, any saved benefits belong to his or her estate. They must be given to the legal representative of the estate or otherwise handled according to state law. If you need information about state law, contact the probate court or an attorney.

When a person who receives Social Security benefits dies, no check is payable for the month of death, even if he or she dies on the last day of the month. Any check received for the month of death or later must be returned. An SSI check, however, is payable for the month of death. But you must return any SSI checks that come after the month of death.

We have a beneficiary that died last night, the rep payee, who is also the daughter, came in and withdrew funds to pay for funeral expenses. Does anyone have clarification on this? There is enough funds in the account for Social Security to withdraw any monies they need to take back.

Thanks,

Jen
Last edited by JMC; 03/25/13 05:10 PM.
Return to Top
General Discussion
#1798043 - 03/25/13 05:18 PM Re: Rep payee signing rights upon death of beneficiary JMC
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
The daughter didn't have rights do withdraw those funds as a function of being her rep payee. Once you're informed of death, you basically treat it as an individual account and only pay out to an executor, etc.

The daughter is accountable to the estate for those funds now, though if funds actually went to pay for the funeral, I doubt you'll have an issues. I'd get that account frozen, she'll likely be back assuming she still has the authority to transact on the account.

Return to Top
#1798123 - 03/25/13 06:12 PM Re: Rep payee signing rights upon death of beneficiary Matt_B
JMC Offline
New Poster
Massachusetts
That was my thoughts- Thank you!

Return to Top