Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#55246 - 01/17/03 06:02 PM SAR Fine
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I am still catching up on today's posts. If it hasn't been posted here yet, a $21.6M penalty on SARs.

KPMG

FinCEN agreement
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#55247 - 01/17/03 06:11 PM Re: SAR Fine
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I saw this in the briefing today, but hadn't gotten around it reading it yet. $21.6mm seemingly for failure to file a single SAR!

Return to Top
#55248 - 01/17/03 06:19 PM Re: SAR Fine
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
More than one. The agreement has some good info. I started reading it but ran out of time. I'm sure there'll be more info to come.

I haven't looked at today's BOL briefings yet. I hope it has some good info. It is these articles that cause the pendulum to swing back toward emphasis on compliance.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#55249 - 01/17/03 07:11 PM Re: SAR Fine
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
From an ABA listserv:

The government announced that the action is based, in part, on one series of transactions where an individual deposited approximately $20 million in cash into a Banco Popular account from June 1995 to March 1998. Deposits were made to the account by that individual and employees of Phone Home - a phone card, long distance and money transmission service - "often in paper bags or gym bags filled with small-denomination bills."

Return to Top
#55250 - 01/17/03 07:22 PM Re: SAR Fine
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Ok- I just read the full version. You are right, there was alot more than one! I think the part that gets me the most is that the tellers repeatedly raised their suspicions to the appropriate operations staff, yet SARs still were not filed!

Return to Top
#55251 - 01/17/03 10:14 PM Re: SAR Fine
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If top management knew what was going on, this could have been the first Annunzio-Wylie "death penalty" case.

Return to Top
#55252 - 01/24/03 07:09 PM Re: SAR Fine
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Here is a new article on another fine from a bank in San Antonio.

Broadway Bank Article

Return to Top
#55253 - 01/24/03 08:02 PM Re: SAR Fine
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
In reply to:

When one customer’s account at Broadway National was frozen in connection with a money-laundering investigation, the bank simply allowed him to open a new account.

This goes way beyond falling asleep at the wheel! Seems like the bank had their AML on cruise control without a driver!

Return to Top
#55254 - 01/24/03 08:19 PM Re: SAR Fine
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Sort of makes you wonder how bad it's got to get before you get hit with the BSA death penalty - loss of charter, doesn't it?

Return to Top
#55255 - 01/24/03 08:27 PM Re: SAR Fine
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wondered the same thing, Jim. These are egregious cases, yet the penalties are not particularly harsh, considering the circumstances.

The Broadway case was noteworthy because the bank pleaded guilty to criminal violations -- and the government is trying to determine whether to prosecute individual officers or employees. In both these two cases, however, the real lesson I take away is:

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! IF YOUR EMPLOYEES START COMPLAINING BECAUSE YOUR CUSTOMER IS DEPOSITING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF CASH -- WAGGING IT IN IN PAPER SACKS AND GYM BAGS, YOU NEED TO BE DAMN SURE THE SOURCE OF THE CASH IS LEGITIMATE, OR FILE SARs that are timely, complete, and properly descriptive.

Return to Top
#55256 - 01/24/03 08:33 PM Re: SAR Fine
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I said this was the Broadway Bank in San Antonio. That may not be the case. I believe this one is from Manhattan.

Return to Top
#55257 - 01/24/03 09:29 PM Re: SAR Fine
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I wouldn't say Broadway's charter is out of danger quite yet. Since none of the agencies have been through a BSA execution before, they will be making it up as the first one is processed.

Return to Top
#55258 - 01/24/03 10:00 PM Re: SAR Fine
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
This is Broadway in NYC. Their conduct was particularly bizarre. They had been warned several times and still did nothing.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z