Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#574013 - 06/26/06 11:05 AM Minors on Checking accounts
maxlogcale Offline
New Poster
Michigan
Does anyone know where I can find specific language in regards to a minor being allowed on a checking account? I was always told that a minor could not be on a checking account because a check is a legal document, and they are not of an age to sign a legally binding document. A coworker believe otherwise. Any direction to resources would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Return to Top
#574014 - 06/27/06 03:15 AM Re: Minors on Checking accounts
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
It's my understanding that the difficulty with minors on accounts is prosecution should they misbehave (i.e., do something fraudulent). I can't quote you chapter and verse, but it's been more of a risk-based decision at banks where I've worked. Many banks stick with not opening any account for a child under the age of 18 unless it's a UTMA, and never a checking account. Because we do have minors attending college who usually need a checking account, we do make exceptions. We always have a parent or legal guardian on the account, and would never give a checking account to a 6 year-old. We also have a "Parental Guarantee" form that must be signed by the parent, which contains language that lets the parent/guardian know that they may be held responsible for the misbahavior of the minor on the account. We haven't had too many problems in this area.

Return to Top