Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1238901 - 08/25/09 08:30 PM Employees Who Smoke
trytocomply Offline
Maryland
We have a couple employees that smoke outside on their break. I know have a teller who is complaining about the smell of the smoke and stated she got sick from the smell. What are your practices with this? I will say this person is one to complain about anything and is also the one that would try to bring a law suit against us. Our policy is just that there is no smoking inside the building.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1239083 - 08/26/09 12:14 PM Re: Employees Who Smoke trytocomply
lscy Offline
Set aside a specific area for smokers. Be sure the area is not directly by an entrance door.

Return to Top
#1239324 - 08/26/09 02:37 PM Re: Employees Who Smoke lscy
AllSmiles Offline
Gold Star
Mayhem
Some state laws on smoking specify a distance of at least 20 feet from the door.

Return to Top
#1240654 - 08/27/09 08:39 PM Re: Employees Who Smoke AllSmiles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
is she saying that the smell of smoke on the employees is what caused her to be sick? or that the smoke outside the building is making her sick? Our designated smoking area is around the corner in our parking lot, nowhere near the door.

Return to Top
#1249691 - 09/14/09 04:59 PM Re: Employees Who Smoke HappyGilmore
AllSmiles Offline
Gold Star
Mayhem
We set up a bench under low hanging trees across from our drive thru especially designated for smokers. Its a really nice area with plants and flowers. They won't use it though, they stand out by the back entrance so when you come in that door you get a HUGE whiff. Customers have complained which is why the smoking area was provided. They even bought a standing ashtray to put beside the door!

Return to Top
#1254541 - 09/22/09 04:17 PM Re: Employees Who Smoke AllSmiles
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
our state just passed a law stating now smoking within 20 feet from a public building so we have gone to a smoke free campus. But even before that we did not allow smoking near doors - turns the customers off and it does float right up into the building -

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry