Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1427212 - 08/11/10 02:47 PM Volunteer
jhouse Offline
New Poster
Naples, FL
Our bank sponsors community events from time to time.i.e. Family Expo at the YMCA. The bank asks for volunteers to man the booths. Senior management has asked me to track volunteers for these events. It's been mentioned that this will be taken into consideration when/if bonuses/raises are given. I think since these events take place outside of working hours the employee who does not or cannot volunteer shouldn't be adversly affected. Your thoughts?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1427406 - 08/11/10 05:09 PM Re: Volunteer jhouse
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: jhouse
Our bank sponsors community events from time to time.i.e. Family Expo at the YMCA. The bank asks for volunteers to man the booths. Senior management has asked me to track volunteers for these events. It's been mentioned that this will be taken into consideration when/if bonuses/raises are given. I think since these events take place outside of working hours the employee who does not or cannot volunteer shouldn't be adversly affected. Your thoughts?

Our bank is also active in the community and sends emails out asking for volunteers for different functions. As far as I know they do not track who volunteers and I agree - some people don't have the time and shouldn't be "penalized" for it.

Return to Top
#1427468 - 08/11/10 05:57 PM Re: Volunteer madukes
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
While those who can't volunteer shouldn't be penalized, maybe those who can should be noticed. This is part of promoting the bank and being a good, supportive team player. We're all asked to do that - so a little proof that we are might be a good thing.

Definitely have a different opinion if it's used primarily as the stick instead of the carrot though!

Return to Top
#1429720 - 08/16/10 06:59 PM Re: Volunteer Lestie G
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Like it or not, whether it's tracked on paper or not, this sort of thing IS taken into consideration when considering raises, bonuses, promotions, etc. Being a team player and being willing to go the extra mile are important to the big bosses since time immemorial. If the bank makes volunteering a priority, an advancement-minded employee at that bank should find a way to volunteer in some manner.

Going back many many years ago, I worked for a small, family-owned community bank that told each employee they must volunteer 12 or more hours per year at their choice of a wide range of community events. If they chose not to do the volunteering, they were automatically signed up for monthly payroll deductions to make a "donation" to the charity of the bank president's choice! I remember that one year I volunteered 11 hours and was supposed to put in my last hour at the last volunteer event of the year and unexpectedly couldn't make it due to illness. So, they docked my pay AND I had to explain myself to my boss's boss in his office. I think this was a bit harsh, and of course would never fly in today's era of political correctness and handling employees with kid gloves lest they sue. laugh

Return to Top
#1429933 - 08/17/10 01:41 PM Re: Volunteer BurntSienna
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
A little OT. When I first started in banking, right out of school, a gazillions years ago the bank where I worked was very big into the United Way. My department reported to the HR Department. The head of HR was in charge of UW for the bank. She came to talk to our department about doing a monthly auto payroll deduction for the United Way. Her goal, as head of the United Way committee was 100% participation from her employees. I'll never forget her telling us that those that didn't give our "fair share" would be seen as not being a team player and might not be chosen for advancement when new positions opened up.

laugh It has now been 32 years, multiple banks later and I'm still donating my "Fair Share". Guess she did a good job, huh?

Return to Top
#1429947 - 08/17/10 02:03 PM Re: Volunteer HRH Okie Banker
Basket Lady Offline
Many years ago at a former employer, payroll deduction of the United Way 'fair share' was a condition of employment. Stated it directly on the employment application. Then the bank bragged about its 100% employee participation.

United Way put a stop to that seven or eight years later. I make a one-time donation during the annual campaign, but don't do the payroll deduction any more.

My current employer makes everyone turn in a pledge form, placing an 'x' on the form and signing if one does not want to participate. Why would they do that if they weren't factoring it in? It's a mild arm twist, but there nonetheless.

Return to Top
#1430185 - 08/17/10 05:53 PM Re: Volunteer Basket Lady
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Brings back memories.....
Many years ago, working for the OCC, 'voluntary' payroll deductions for savings bonds were 'required' so that the agency could report 100% participation.

Return to Top
#1430629 - 08/18/10 02:29 PM Re: Volunteer califgirl
Basket Lady Offline
^^^ My father said that happened in the Army too. Having been a poor enlisted man his first few years in the Army, Dad steadfastly refused to force the young soldiers he supervised to enroll in savings bonds. Didn't make his superiors too happy, but what were they going to do?

Return to Top
#1431160 - 08/19/10 12:37 PM Re: Volunteer Basket Lady
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
it's funny all these ubnited way stories, as the UW always says they don't want to force anyone and companies should not be doing that. i was the loaned executive one year when i worked for the federal reserve, and in our UW training they stressed over and over that this is voluntary and there should be no coercion. I gave my fair share for years then stopped when they had all the payroll scandals. restarted about 3 years ago, likely as much for the tax break as anything else.

Return to Top
#1431181 - 08/19/10 01:10 PM Re: Volunteer HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I as well stopped with the payroll scandal. But I have not seen a good reason to go back.

FYI

google United Way CEO Salary

CAMS

Return to Top
#1431202 - 08/19/10 01:27 PM Re: Volunteer edAudit
melmac Offline
They tried to force us as well at a company I worked at a few years ago. I refused stating they would not help my parents for my surgery when I was born because my parents made too much money. Mom & Dad were just opening a business, already had a 3 year old, living in my grandparents house so they could make a go at it and had only been in business for 3 months oh and had no insurance (couldn't afford it yet). Now the shriners on the other hand looked at the whole situation and realized they needed the help and gave it to them. When I told the recruiter that he backed off and didn't want me to spread my story around. grin

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry