Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#131110 - 11/17/03 02:55 PM Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
This Thursday my bank is having a Thanksgiving lunch, and all the food is made by employees. I some how signed-up to make a pumpkin pie. Nobody thinks I can do it. Everyone thinks I'm just going to buy one. Well not only to I want to prove them wrong with my cooking skills (I like to think I'm a good cook), I want to "Wow" them. Does anyone have an awesome recipe that they would share?
(I'll even except "super secret" recipes. PM me, I promise not to tell ANYONE!)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#131111 - 11/17/03 03:00 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
If you'd like a pumpkin cheesecake recipe, I have one at home. It's good. I made it several years ago.

Return to Top
#131112 - 11/17/03 03:01 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
While my cooking and baking skills end at the microwave, you could do a search on google and you will get tons of recipes. That's how I do rice crispy bars.

Return to Top
#131113 - 11/17/03 03:03 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
KSK Offline
Gold Star
KSK
Kansas
I've made Pumpkin Pies from probably a half dozen different recipes, including starting with the real pumpkin. But in the end, the recipe that has always garnered they best reviews at home and at work is the recipe on the can of Libby's canned pumpkin.

That's the only one I make anymore and it's an easy recipe if you are a novice in the kitchen.

My only caution - never has the pie cooked in the amount of time stated on the recipe. But do follow the temperature settings and the temperature change closely. I just add anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes at the end.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#131114 - 11/17/03 03:42 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
NancyF Offline
100 Club
NancyF
PA

I agree with Mush. I always use the recipe on the Libby's Pumpkin can. (This is also the recipe my mom has used for years.)I also use the refrigerated pie shells, which also make it super easy. You can do it!

Return to Top
#131115 - 11/17/03 03:51 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I concur...with both the Libbys recipe and refrigerated pie shells. You will be the hit of the luncheon.

Return to Top
#131116 - 11/17/03 04:41 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Even Martha Stewart condones using canned pumpkin (but I think it was just because one of her snooty Chef friends told her it was all he'd use)!

Return to Top
#131117 - 11/17/03 04:46 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Try the Libbey's recipe, but double the spices. My favorite.

Return to Top
#131118 - 11/17/03 05:22 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Anonymous
Unregistered

Happy Holiday Pumpkin Pie
An excellent pumpkin pie that will leave you feeling satisfied and guilt-free after your holiday meal.

Preparation Time: 20
Serving Size: 5 fluid oz.
Serves: 6

1 Prepared Pie Crust

Filling
1 (15 oz.) can Pumpkin Puree
3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
1 Egg White
1/3 cup Fat Free Half-and-Half
3 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Sugar-Free Maple Syrup

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Blend pumpkin puree, SPLENDA® Granular, cornstarch, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well blended. In a separate bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Stir well. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir well.

Pour pumpkin filling into a prepared piecrust. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until set in the center and the crust is golden brown.

Nutrition Information per serving
Serving Size 1slice
Total Calories 160
Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 170 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 4 g

Exchanges Per Serving 1 carbohydrate, 2 fats

This recipe, when compared to a full fat, full sugar version, has a 35% reduction in calories, a 16% reduction in fat, a 51% reduction in carbohydrates, and an 87% reduction in sugars!

Return to Top
#131119 - 11/17/03 05:50 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
For something a little "extra" you can sprinkle a layer of chopped pecans on top before you bake. Yummm!

Return to Top
#131120 - 11/17/03 05:52 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
I ALWAYS use the Libby's recipe. Just be sure to cover the exposed crust with foil so it doesn't burn.

Return to Top
#131121 - 11/17/03 07:48 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
JeloQuen Offline
JeloQuen
Middle America
I totally concur about the Libby's recipe. In fact, when my daughter developed an alergy to pumpkin and i switched to sweet potato instead, I still use the Libby recipe. And you can't tell the difference!

Return to Top
#131122 - 11/17/03 07:53 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My mother makes pies from butternut squash. My younger brother lives for Thanksgiving so he can get some of mom's pie. Yummy!!!

Return to Top
#131123 - 11/17/03 08:01 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
And if you want to do it REALLY easy, Libby's has a can of Pumpkin Pie Mix. If has most of the ingredients in it for you and is very simple. Tastes great too!

Return to Top
#131124 - 11/17/03 11:02 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I won Amateur Chef of the Year in Washington State for my Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe (had to be a family recipe or one you'd developed on your own). I'd be happy to share from home tonight if you want to tackle it. It's always a hit, and everyone who knows me requests it for the holidays. We never eat boring old pie anymore It really isn't hard to bake if you remember to put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven to steam while it's cooking. The crust is a nut and spice crust (no cracker crumbles) . I always serve rum laced whipping cream with it, with a garnish of fresh nutmeg sprinkled over the dish...mmmm I'm hungry

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#131125 - 11/17/03 11:41 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

I won Amateur Chef of the Year in Washington State

Totally off subject Dawnie but as the resident Chef, do you know a source that would help me convert ingredients in a recipe? I'm making something with cumin seeds but can't find them so I'll have to use ground cumin instead (which is stronger). Thanks

Return to Top
#131126 - 11/17/03 11:51 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Anonymous
Unregistered

A couple of years ago, I started making the most amazing cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I got it from the 1997 "Taste of Home" annual cookbook. It is called "Raspberry Ribbon Cheesecake". The crust is chocolate cookie crumbles, then it has a layer of cheesecake, a layer of raspberry sauce, another layer of cheesecake, and another layer of raspberry sauce (with whole raspberries mixed in). It is rather time consuming, but it is so good!!! My family loves cheesecake and this one always goes over really well. (It also looks pretty when you cut the pieces out!

Return to Top
#131127 - 11/17/03 11:57 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
For heavens sake, I don't want to read a recipes that makes me drool. Send one of those good pies the recipe makes.

Don Narup
CRA Information Services
7380 Clairemont Mesa Blvd ste 109
San Diego, Ca. 92111

Return to Top
#131128 - 11/18/03 04:23 AM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I'd be happy to share from home tonight if you want to tackle it. It's always a hit, and everyone who knows me requests it for the holidays.

Have Dawnie make a pie and instead of a recipe, give her a FedEx shipping number.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#131129 - 11/18/03 05:22 AM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Angelmom Offline
New Poster
Oklahoma
I too agree with the "Libby's Can" recipe. I go a little heavier on the cinnamon and cloves. I serve it with Cool Whip.

Good Luck!

Return to Top
#131130 - 11/18/03 08:36 AM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Have Dawnie make a pie and instead of a recipe, give her a FedEx shipping number.

I made 50 one year Andy...adding FedEx to the challenge can't be that bad....put your orders in now (please remember, a shook up, tipped over, bounced around, cheesecake, tastes the same as a home baked cheesecake Sure it's not as pretty but heck, who cares if you're snacking after midnight!

Ok here's the recipe: (Truffles was the name of my business when I made cheesecakes full time)

Truffles Pumpkin Cheesecake

Soften your cream cheese and prepare a 10 inch springform pan by coating it lightly with butter. Set aside and begin mixing the cheesecake. It is essential that you soften the cream cheese or you’ll have a very lumpy cheesecake.

Nut Crust

1 ¼ cup Walnuts, finely chopped
¼ cup Dried Bread Crumbs
2 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter, Melted
Sprinkle Nutmeg
Sprinkle Cinnamon

In a small bowl, mix walnuts, bread crumbs, sugar, and a dash of both spices; drizzle with butter and mix until ingredients are moistened. Press into the bottom of your prepared 10 inch springform pan.

Preheat oven to 350o while you mix the batter. If you live in a dry climate, insert a baking pan into your oven at this point on the bottom shelf, filled with approximately one inch of water. This will help keep the cake from cracking as it bakes. Keep the pan full and remember to leave the oven closed during the baking process as much as possible.

Cheesecake

4 8-oz Packages Cream Cheese, softened
¾ cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
5 Eggs
2 cups Pumpkin, (16oz can or freshly cooked)
2 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
2 Tbsp. Brandy flavoring
¼ cup Flour

In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugars and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. In a small bowl, mix pumpkin, flour, spice and brandy flavoring until well blended. Add to cream cheese mixture. When well blended, pour over crust and bake in your preheated oven (350o) for one hour and twenty minutes, (1 hour, 20 minutes) or until center appears set. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes, then move to refrigerator to complete cooling. Best if left overnight for the flavors to blend and cake to chill completely.

To serve, remove the sides of springform by running a sharp knife around the edge of the pan. Carefully slide cake from base to your serving platter (The cake is sticky, so be sure to loosen it from the base with a thin spatula or cake tool before attempting to slide it off. You may wish to cook the cake on parchment paper, this leaves you the option of just sliding the paper onto your serving platter and cutting from there). (In this case, you do not butter the base of the pan, just the sides, slip in a rounded circle of parchment paper and press the crust on top of the paper).

We served this cake at the restaurant with freshly whipped cream, sweetened with sugar and vanilla to taste. For a gourmet treat, add a bit of dark rum to the whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. This compliments the cake perfectly!

Enjoy!!!

Return to Top
#131131 - 11/18/03 02:55 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Wow, lots of recipes and suggestions! Thanks guys! I can't wait to surprise everyone with something I made . Now I just have to figure out which pie to make!

Return to Top
#131132 - 11/18/03 06:42 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Dawnie,
Thank you so much! My entire family will bow down to you if I manage to create your cheesecake. The only thing my bunch likes better than pumkin pie IS cheesecake, so I will try to give them the best of both worlds.

Return to Top
#131133 - 11/19/03 01:44 AM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Be sure to add the rum laced whipped cream! If they don't like it, they also won't remember it if you load their plate with the rum laced goodies

(for the gourmet serving suggestion of the week....I put two large spoonfuls (LARGE) on the plate, then set the cheesecake in the middle of the "cloud" of whipped cream. A tiny dolup on the cake and then grate fresh nutmeg over the top of the dish).

Oh cooking tip of the day too...The cake has five eggs in it. Baking with a pan of water in the over is very important to avoid severe cracking. BUT sometimes the darned thing will crack on your anyhoo. A 1/4 cup bag of slivered almonds makes a lovely garnies for the cake, and covers all cracks. (you're gonna love me for that one).

Return to Top
#131134 - 11/26/03 05:36 PM Re: Need Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
So, Analyze This, how did your pie turn out? Was everyone suitably impressed? We are all dying to know.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2