Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#316043 - 02/14/05 05:24 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not so sure it's wrong - in a funny way, while the situation was certainly wrong at the time it happened, the fact that they are still together and now apparently getting married, softens the situation for me, especially if it lasts.

Return to Top
#316044 - 02/14/05 05:26 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
And this is may be the wrongest part of it:

"The wedding will likely be held in a Seattle-area church..."
Last edited by -Z-; 02/14/05 05:31 PM.

Return to Top
#316045 - 02/14/05 05:33 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
The age difference would not bother me if they were both adults at the time everything started. I realize that young people in their teens think they are grownup and capable of falling in love for life but I can't help but wonder where this young man would be or what he would be doing now had this never happened. I wish them well, if for no other reason than for the benefit of those two little girls but what about her children from her first marriage? What a sad situation, all the way around.

Return to Top
#316046 - 02/14/05 05:36 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
The situation is sad. But they are now both adults (chronologically at least). To each his own.

Return to Top
#316047 - 02/14/05 05:37 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Not so sure it's wrong - in a funny way, while the situation was certainly wrong at the time it happened, the fact that they are still together and now apparently getting married, softens the situation for me, especially if it lasts.

Would you really feel this way if it were your child? Do you remember these facts:

Quote:

Letourneau was a married mother of four when she began a sexual relationship with the then-12-year-old Fualaau after meeting at Burien's Shorewood Elementary School in 1996, when she was 34.

Would that give you the warm fuzzies if it were your child? It would make my trigger finger itch (and I don't even have a gun). Excuse my lack of control, but I'd have little tolerance and it take a lot of prayer to keep from doing great harm to her like she did to my child.

Love? Phewey! RAPE is what it was. Not to mention a breach of a great duty to not harm my child while he is in her care at school. I would think raping him would be harmful.

I don't find it strange in the Great Northleft that a judge would lift the ban on her contacting him. Sick, but not strange. A church marrying this convicted rapist and her victim also makes me sick.

Gladly, I am not on the guest list of such a trainwreck.

Return to Top
#316048 - 02/14/05 05:40 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

The situation is sad. But they are now both adults (chronologically at least). To each his own.

What? She raped him when he was 12! She raped him when she was the wife of another man. She raped him when she was the mother of 4 children. She raped him when she was his and many other children's school teacher! She should still be in jail in 2060, even if she is dead.

To each his own??? That is crazy talk!!!

Return to Top
#316049 - 02/14/05 05:43 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong *DELETED*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by CubDave

Return to Top
#316050 - 02/14/05 05:55 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Z - chill out - everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's not black & white - the law in this case was, and she was punished for it. Now, the law has determined she is free and they are both consenting adults now - I don;t happen to agree it was rape, and yes I say that hypocritically because it was a boy student and not a girl, but I know you'll disagree and that's fine. Just don't label someone with the "crazy talk" becuase you disagree.

Let me get this straight. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I need to chill out? My opinion is that doodlebug's "to each his own" comment is crazy talk. I also think your opinions expressed here are crazy talk too.

Let's me see if I understand you: You want me to stop using the term crazy talk, but you don't have a problem with a female teacher having a relationship with a 12 year old student. You have very odd standards for societal behavior.

Return to Top
#316051 - 02/14/05 06:04 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
In fairness to CubDave, let me rephrase my above post:

Let me get this straight. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I need to chill out? My opinion is that doodlebug's "to each his own" comment is crazy talk. I also think your opinions expressed here are crazy talk too.

Let's me see if I understand you: You think it is wrong for me to use the term crazy talk here, but you don't think it is rape for a female teacher to have a sexual relationship with a 12 year old student. You have very odd standards for societal behavior.

Return to Top
#316052 - 02/14/05 06:22 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I have a 17 year old son. If this had happened to him at 12 - or even 17 - I would have a HUGE problem with it and would be parked out at the school board. I don't think it matters if it's a boy or a girl - rape is rape - and 12 years old is much to young to be making those types of decisions.

OK - that's my $.02 worth.

Return to Top
#316053 - 02/14/05 06:32 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I guess I just can't understand how grown people can think a 12 year old boy (or girl, for that matter) is attractive in that way... Ugh, just the thought is gross.

Return to Top
#316054 - 02/14/05 06:36 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I can't imagine the, "Mommy, how did you and Daddy meet? conversation.

Return to Top
#316055 - 02/14/05 06:39 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
If it was my son when he is still a minor, my trigger finger itch would probably be satisfied. I am not a mean person, but that would more than likely push me over the homosidal edge. Now it is acceptable, because they are adults. However the 1st 2 times, she should have been put to death.

Return to Top
#316056 - 02/14/05 06:57 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don;t happen to agree it was rape, and yes I say that hypocritically because it was a boy student and not a girl,

Cub Dave, I have officially lost all respect for you from this point on! Rape doesn't have to be a violent act against ones will to meet the meaning of the crime. How do I set my settings to ignore all future postings from CD?

Return to Top
#316057 - 02/14/05 06:58 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
She did not just rape the boy; she breached one of the most fundamental trusts in our society--that between a teacher and a student. And she did it in one of the most heinous fashions, short of murder.

Return to Top
#316058 - 02/14/05 07:04 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Whatever one thinks of Ms. LeTourneau's "relationship" with Mr. Fualaau when he was a juvenile, they are both legally adults now, and entitled to do as they please.

I think the biggest injustice in the entire sad affair (a word I use advisedly) is that Ms. LeTourneau only received 7 1/2 years on the child rape charge intitially. The initial sentence should have been much harsher. I beleive that the disparity in treatment between boys and girls played a major role.

If Mr. Fualaau had been a girl, or Ms. Letourneau a man, the perception of the crime would have been much different. One need read no farther than the results of recent abuse cases involving priests to realize that. Ms. LeTourneau should been sentenced as an adult who abused a child. Instead, she was sentenced as a woman who had sex with an underage boy.

I hope that the courts never fully reinstate the married couples' parental rights with regard to their two daughters. (How much do you bet the courts do exactly that?)

Return to Top
#316059 - 02/14/05 07:22 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
pbrinker--Maybe we should push our legislators to create a separate crime where the offending party is a caregiver or teacher.

They are adults, and adults typically can do as they please, but the court did not have to lift its order that she not have contact with him, correct? Didn't she have to get this order lifted first?

Return to Top
#316060 - 02/14/05 07:34 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Anonymous
Unregistered

I re-read my post, and I guess the only thing I regret saying is that it would be different if it was a girl and that I didn't agree that it was rape - obviously, the law states it is "rape" and I am not disputing that in retrospect. My main point, really, is that at this point, I view them as adults and what they are "now" doing is perfectly legal. Regardless of the insensitive (and most likely incorrect) way I stated it in my previous post - I never once condoned what she did, nor am I crazy enough to think there was anything right about it.
Last edited by CubDave; 02/14/05 07:46 PM.
Return to Top
#316061 - 02/14/05 07:38 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Anonymous
Unregistered

And Z - telling you to "chill out" was not asking you to not express your opinion, just to express them with less disdain for those who disagreed.

I should know better - I have stayed away from political/religious/moral posts and I should have stayed far away from this one, which I will do and delete my posts.

Return to Top
#316062 - 02/14/05 07:43 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
Hey, at least the 22 year old is taking care of his kids.

Return to Top
#316063 - 02/14/05 07:48 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Now, I am not trying to be funny here, but I have been thinking. Of course the whole situation was unethical and immoral (and gross), that is a given.

But don't you think that it was more of a seduction than a rape? I mean really, did she tie "it" to a splint to make it work?

Return to Top
#316064 - 02/14/05 08:06 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Quote:

I mean really, did she tie "it" to a splint to make it work?

At 12, a light breeze usually does the trick.

Return to Top
#316065 - 02/14/05 08:08 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

I mean really, did she tie "it" to a splint to make it work?

At 12, a light breeze usually does the trick.

I wouldn't know, never had one.

Return to Top
#316066 - 02/14/05 08:26 PM Re: Now This Is Just Wrong
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

And Z - telling you to "chill out" was not asking you to not express your opinion, just to express them with less disdain for those who disagreed.

I should know better - I have stayed away from political/religious/moral posts and I should have stayed far away from this one, which I will do and delete my posts.

You have got to be kidding. CubDave, I do not understand your problem. What did you expect when you posted such a controversial opinion? Did you not know that it would be controversial? I am not upset with you and I did not attack you, only your opinion.

I just think that your opinion is "crazy talk. "

I think you have been justified in leaving the cooler or certain threads before, but this time you are being overly sensitive.

I don't usually take people to task for their opinions, but I was shocked by the cavalier attitudes toward this travesty. I do not say what I said about someone's opinion often, but when I say it, I mean it. I am in the business of listening to lots of opinions--so I am very tolerant of a divergency of opinions, but I just could not take this one lying down. Sorry, I just said what I felt. You are welcome to your opinion. I just wholeheartedly disagree with it.

I regret that you were offended.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2