Thread Options
#442046 - 10/17/05 04:03 PM Polygamy goes Dutch
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Crosstalk

S. Michael Craven
Author, Speaker, VP for Religion & Culture at the National Coalition for the Protection of Children & Families

Throughout the same-sex marriage debate, advocates for homosexual marriage have continually scoffed at the suggestion that the legitimization of marriage between persons of the same-sex will inevitably lead to further redefinitions including polygamy. Andrew Sullivan, one of homosexual marriage's most intelligent defenders, labeled this suggestion "fear-mongering" akin to the discredited belief that interracial marriage would lead to birth defects. Matt Coles, director of the ACLU's Lesbian and Gay Rights Project, said, "I think the idea that there is some kind of slippery slope [to polygamy or group marriage] is silly."
Well, once again the Dutch demonstrate the truth of such fears when on September 30th a man and two women were given a license for their three-way "marriage" by the Dutch government. Victor de Bruijn, 46, from Rosendaal, and his wife Bianca, 31, have signed a "co-habitation contract" with a woman, Mirjam Geven, who abandoned her marriage for the new arrangement. I know, I know; enough with the Dutch already. I wish I could but I simply can't resist the illustration offered by the venerable Dutch as they slip from one cultural rung to the next.

Snip.......

______

So will Andrew Sullivan, Barney Frank and all the other gay activists now apologize to Senator Santorum for trashing him for predicting exactly what is happening? Didn't think so.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#442047 - 10/17/05 04:11 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Anonymous
Unregistered

marry me X!!!

Return to Top
#442048 - 10/17/05 04:16 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Sorry but I think I can make a distinction between 2 people commiting to each other and polygamy. Good work once again X!

Return to Top
#442049 - 10/17/05 04:30 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
"cohabitation contract" = marriage???

Return to Top
#442050 - 10/17/05 04:39 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Even better AML, speaking of cohabitation contracts, the law creates common law marriages for people who won't commit to each other in an offical way but yet 2 queers can't get recognition at all.

Return to Top
#442051 - 10/17/05 04:43 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Even better AML, speaking of cohabitation contracts, the law creates common law marriages for people who won't commit to each other in an offical way but yet 2 queers can't get recognition at all.

Only in certain states (not including mine)

Return to Top
#442052 - 10/17/05 04:55 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Just an example.

How about this: would allowing gay marriage make more people become gay because there would be an acceptance of something they have denied for social reasons? If this is the case would the existing relationship be vapid shams as there was no love in the first place? As such, allowing gay marriage would help to encourage the very thing traditional marriage proponents fear will be the downfall of stability.

Return to Top
#442053 - 10/17/05 04:57 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
Well, if that's the case, I should be able to marry my surfboard. I certainly love it enough, and I want my tax breaks too!

Return to Top
#442054 - 10/17/05 05:31 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

So will Andrew Sullivan, Barney Frank and all the other gay activists now apologize to Senator Santorum for trashing him for predicting exactly what is happening? Didn't think so.

Well, you would be right, as first of all:

1.) Holland has legislation in place that forbids bigamy.

2.) In Holland, anyone (human) can have a co-habitation agreement. That's right, you can have a co-habitation agreement with your brother, sister, daughter, or son.

Co-habitation is not equal to marriage, it is a seperate distinction all together. In addition, roommates who have been living together for a period of time are affected by co-habitation regulations as well, even if they decide not to register their relationship.

Return to Top
#442055 - 10/17/05 05:59 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first post is a distortion that's been going around from the right-wing. It does not involve marriage (note the use of quotes around the word "marriage"). This man and two women simply filed some documents claiming to have some sort of a civil union (the government has not recognized any such thing).

Return to Top
#442056 - 10/17/05 06:26 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
It's a slipery slope"

Mirjam Geven, who abandoned her marriage for the new arrangement

Return to Top
#442057 - 10/17/05 06:41 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I think he's just posting to show off his new hentai-inspired avatar....

Return to Top
#442058 - 10/17/05 06:51 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

It's a slipery slope"

In other news today, the sky is falling!

Return to Top
#442059 - 10/17/05 06:53 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Sorry but I think I can make a distinction between 2 people commiting to each other and polygamy. Good work once again X!

Don't you mean 3?

Return to Top
#442060 - 10/17/05 06:58 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Quote:

Don't you mean 3?

No. Why would I?

Return to Top
#442061 - 10/17/05 07:00 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I doubt that is true. I suspect that in all states that have common law marriage there is no common law marriage unless one of the parties pushes the issue, right? And an outsider or the state can't do so, right? In fact, common law marriage laws are in place mainly (or exclusively) for property rights, correct? In some states, if one of the spouses does not make the claim to a common law marriage within a year, they can't do so (some have joked that missing this deadline would be a common law divorce). With common law marriage, when the couple splits up, one of the spouses can claim a common law marriage and get a divorce in which the property is handled as if there were a marriage. I think these laws were enacted to handle these situations rather than to force two people living together to be man and wife against their wills.

Didn't they teach you this in law school?

Return to Top
#442062 - 10/17/05 07:03 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

Quote:

It's a slipery slope"

In other news today, the sky is falling!

On the day that happens, you will be as clueless as you are now!

"When people accept futility and the absurd as normal, the culture is decadent."

By the way, are you gay?

Return to Top
#442063 - 10/17/05 07:03 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry but I think I can make a distinction between 2 people committing to each other and polygamy. Good work once again X!

Don't you mean 3?

No. Why would I?

I thought you were talking about the original article and distinguishing what those people in Holland were doing from polygamy.

Why would you distinguish polygamy from two people committing to each other? I mean other than the number of people involved, of course, why would you make a distinction?.

Do you support one, but not the other?

If so, why?

Return to Top
#442064 - 10/17/05 07:06 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
I didn't take family law. Sorry. It was just a point. I think it was YOU that missed my point about the reasons why I would think it fair to confer rights upon same-sex couples as there are benefits like property rights which they aren't privy to. Also in the context of my comment I don't think I alluded that they were being forced to become married but rather were given the rights of marriage even when they didn't seek to have such a union.

Return to Top
#442065 - 10/17/05 07:10 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
I make the distinction because of the number. But also because of the significance of the number. Traditionalists seek to have a 2 way reciprocal relationship. Where is the reciprocity in some 3 way (heads out of the gutter people!)? I support the one because of the same virtues that people would attribute to traditional unions: stability, reciprocity, etc. In a polygamous relationship there is no commitment wholey to another party; allegiance is split.

Return to Top
#442066 - 10/17/05 07:13 PM Re: Polygamy goes Dutch
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

On the day that happens, you will be as clueless as you are now!

Did you copy and paste that insult, or did you think of that yourself, just curious. If it's the latter, congratulations on the original thought.

Quote:

By the way, are you gay?

What does this have to do with anything?

Return to Top