Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#875338 - 12/18/07 08:18 PM Bank to employees: Pay it forward
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Bank to employees: Pay it forward

FARGO, North Dakota (AP) -- A bank is giving its full-time employees $1,000 each and part-time employees $500 each. There's one condition -- use it for people in need.

State Bank & Trust Chief Operating Officer Michael Solberg said each full-time employee will receive $1,000 and each part-time employee will receive $500, as part of a $502,000 "Pay it Forward" initiative.

"We're going to really see some huge impact on our community," Solberg said.

Employees were told not to use the money for themselves, their families or families of other bank employees. The bank asked each employee to document the good deed with a video camera. The deadline is June 30.

The employees were told they may choose an individual cause, pool their money for a larger project or collaborate with donors outside the bank. The privately owned bank has more than 500 employees, he said.

The bank made the announcement over the weekend.

In previous years, the Fargo-based bank has taken 5 percent of the company earnings and divided it up at holiday time among employees

CNN
______

Interesting - so, none of the funds can be used for your own family? There is something wrong with this. What if the employee could use it themselves.. tellers do not make a lot of money and probably could use the "(un)bonus" money to help pay utilities, rent ect. If the bank wants to give to charity... then do so... Don’t give money to employees with a criteria of don’t spend it on your own needs.

It appears from the article that this 'gift' was in lieu of a bonus this year...........very curious.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#875341 - 12/18/07 08:21 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward °X°
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
screw that, i need the money too

Return to Top
#875344 - 12/18/07 08:23 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward *nUnZeO*
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
You just waking up X? We talked about this about four or five hours ago!

Return to Top
#875389 - 12/18/07 08:57 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward B_F
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
You just waking up X? We talked about this about four or five hours ago!

Yes, I just got up - I'm a little slow today.

Return to Top
#875390 - 12/18/07 08:59 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward °X°
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: _X_
If the bank wants to give to charity... then do so... Don't give money to employees with a criteria of don't spend it on your own needs.

I agree.

Return to Top
#875415 - 12/18/07 09:17 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Becka Marr
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Seems the bank wants it's EMPLOYEES to give to charity, or other people they know who need help.

What's wrong with giving something to your people to give to others? Then the employee gets the tax deduction (if applicable)

Return to Top
#875421 - 12/18/07 09:20 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward B_F
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
If this is instead of their usual Christmas bonus, then this is not a very nice thing to do to their employees. Some of them probably have very real needs that those funds can help alleviate.

If this is in addition to their usual Christmas bonus - then that is a truly wonderful thing!

Are they simply being cheap while trying to appear altruistic OR are they truly being generous?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#875430 - 12/18/07 09:27 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward waldensouth
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
A terrific demonstration to its employees of the concept of seedtime and harvest. Many folks never have had the ability to sow this much in one lump into a real need and see the fruits of that gift. I think it's a brilliant idea.

Return to Top
#875435 - 12/18/07 09:29 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward waldensouth
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
It does appear to be a bank PR stunt. I know that giving is better than receiving, but not when it's basically your bonus and you are told to give it away.

Return to Top
#875442 - 12/18/07 09:33 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward B_F
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
What's wrong with giving something to your people to give to others?

A "gift" (if that is what this is) once given belongs to the recipient, to do with as he chooses.

Return to Top
#875456 - 12/18/07 09:42 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward 1 Peter 5:7
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: 1 Peter 5:7
A terrific demonstration to its employees of the concept of seedtime and harvest. Many folks never have had the ability to sow this much in one lump into a real need and see the fruits of that gift. I think it's a brilliant idea.

I think as adults, the employees already understand the core of this concept.

Being in banking for several years, I know first hand many bank employees do not get paid well...you generally have to be a department manager or above in order not to worry too much where your family's next meal is coming from.

To give a part-time or low level full-time employee several hundred dollars to go and do good elsewhere, is a smack int he chest when they are tryign to figure how to make this month's rent payment, or how to pay for their childs basic needs.

I agree it is wonderful and brilliant, as long as you are not on the verge of having to be one of the recipients.

Return to Top
#875466 - 12/18/07 09:47 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward #Just Jay
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
Yes, those single moms out there who struggle to provide food and medicine for their kids living on teller pay.... We've always tried to look out for our own, but some folks just won't share the trouble they're in financially.

I would find it hard to spend that money on someone else in need if it meant my child would go without her medicine or decent food to eat.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#875467 - 12/18/07 09:47 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward 1 Peter 5:7
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: 1 Peter 5:7

So, if the 'gift' to others was in place of a bonus directly to each employee, this is a good thing? Are you insane?

Return to Top
#875482 - 12/18/07 09:56 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward °X°
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Presumably, the employees will have to pay income tax on this money, too. Will they then have to make up the difference to gift the entire amount to someone else?

Return to Top
#875492 - 12/18/07 10:04 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward hmdagal
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
That was going to be my point, hmdagal. And before people start talking tax deduction, remember that if you do not own your own home, chances are you don't itemize deductions because it's usually less than the standard deduction. This means that some employees could get stuck paying income tax on the "bonus."

Return to Top
#875495 - 12/18/07 10:06 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward hmdagal
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I am guessing that that money is not being paid directly to the employees... more like, let the bank know what you are doing, and we will cut the checks for you to present, or to reimburse you.

As a result, the employee has no choice but to pay the money forward.

Return to Top
#875496 - 12/18/07 10:06 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward hmdagal
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I think the bank did not think this through. It is for publicity (hence the photo ops!) and if truly in lieu of any bonus money for tellers and such is in poor taste.

Years ago I worked at a bank that upped its base salaries for tellers and other lower paid jobs when it was pointed out that many qualified for our low income CRA loan products. The bank had decided it was making a commitment to community development and at least had the decency to start at home once it was pointed out to them. It actually was a nice place to work.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#875571 - 12/18/07 11:00 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Kathleen O. Blanchard
Peepers Offline
10K Club
If anyone working at this bank is reading this, you can donate your 'un'bonus to my charity....The Human Fund.

Thank you.

Return to Top
#875605 - 12/18/07 11:59 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Peepers
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I wonder if participation is mandatory. I cannot really tell by reading the first post.

And what is all of this talk about bonuses?? Not all banks even pay a bonus...

Return to Top
#875609 - 12/19/07 12:07 AM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Pup
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If the news articles are correct:

"In previous years, the Fargo-based bank has taken 5 percent of the company earnings and divided it up at holiday time among employees."
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#875623 - 12/19/07 02:15 AM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Kathleen O. Blanchard
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I don't think it necessarily follows that they took away bonuses in order to do this. I think they're just showing their history of allowing bank employees to participate in the bank's profitability. There's nothing in the story that indicates they're not doing that this year - I'm not saying they are, just that we don't know from the story.

Return to Top
#875641 - 12/19/07 11:35 AM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Jokerman
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I don't understand why the bank just couldn't make a donation and leave it at that.

Return to Top
#875668 - 12/19/07 01:35 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward Retired DQ
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
I read this quote in the Minneapolis Star tribune (sorry -- I don't know how to link!):

Employees will still get a holiday bonus this year in addition to the money for charity, and everyone got video cameras to document their good deed.

Apparently the employees must use the camera to document the good deed by a certain date, andall donations have to be approved by HR before completion. It sounds as if the bank has empowered the employees to help direct the charitable contribution that has meaning to the employees. (And not given them the money and then forced them to use it for charity).

Return to Top
#875672 - 12/19/07 01:40 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward hobot
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
That makes a lot more sense. They aren't hurting their staff in the process.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#875676 - 12/19/07 01:48 PM Re: Bank to employees: Pay it forward hobot
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: hobot
I read this quote in the Minneapolis Star tribune (sorry -- I don't know how to link!):

Employees will still get a holiday bonus this year in addition to the money for charity, and everyone got video cameras to document their good deed.

Apparently the employees must use the camera to document the good deed by a certain date, andall donations have to be approved by HR before completion. It sounds as if the bank has empowered the employees to help direct the charitable contribution that has meaning to the employees. (And not given them the money and then forced them to use it for charity).

Still sounds a bit stupid. You have to document by a certain date your good deed via camera and then wait to have it approved by HR. Duh!
Makes me want to rush right out and do it.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2