Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1261115 - 10/02/09 06:43 PM Obama bans texting while driving...
buggs Offline
Power Poster
...for government workers while driving whenever they are on the job, driving a federal vehicle, or using a government-supplied cell phone.

Linkage

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1261125 - 10/02/09 06:59 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Actually a pretty good idea....

Return to Top
#1261127 - 10/02/09 07:00 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... MB Guy
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
It really does need to become one of those "common sense" laws. So dangerous!

Return to Top
#1261131 - 10/02/09 07:03 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Bacon Boy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
they just need to make a cell phone sensitive to motion and speed so that it will not operate....

and it will need to identify the driver from the other occupants...

Return to Top
#1261133 - 10/02/09 07:07 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
wish they would ban people from driving with dogs on their lap...

Return to Top
#1261139 - 10/02/09 07:14 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
I also heard there is a bill going through Congress banning chewing with your mouth open, and running with scissors. Finally, the national nightmare will end!!!

Return to Top
#1261145 - 10/02/09 07:20 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... FBH
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
As long as I can still, talk on the phone, paint my nails, eat breakfast and drink my ice tea simultaneously while driving to work at increased speeds, I guess I can do without the texting with my dog in my lap while chewing with my mouth open. But it's gonna take some getting used to.

Return to Top
#1261155 - 10/02/09 07:35 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

Actually, my dog's doing the driving, I just work the pedals...

Return to Top
#1261157 - 10/02/09 07:36 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... ~MunQue~
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
our company policy is that you shouldn't be on the phone will driving unless using a hands free device...not that anyone listens to it or enforces it...

just another feel good bill? If they were serious, they'd put together a commission to study the feasibility of rolling roads, much like in the great sci-fi novella "The Roads Must Roll".

Thanks, Wiki...

"The Roads Must Roll" is a 1940 science fiction short story by Robert A. Heinlein. In the late 1960s, it was awarded a retrospective Nebula Award by the Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA) and published in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, 1929-1964 in 1970.[1]

The story is about wide, rapidly moving passenger platforms (similar to moving sidewalks, but reaching speeds of 100 mph). These roads combine the features of highways, railways and highway towns..."

Return to Top
#1261252 - 10/02/09 09:03 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... HappyGilmore
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Illinois passed a law effective Jan 1 that has:

No using cell phone without hands-free device in construction zones (City of Chicago already this law passed for the city limits).
No texting or emailing while driving. Only exception is GPS devices (I wonder if they count the Google Maps with GPS on my BlackBerry??).

The emailing part will however severely lower my productivity when I'm out of the office, cause usally when I'm out I'm in the car.

Return to Top
#1261255 - 10/02/09 09:05 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Skunk Boy
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Is operating a teleprompter considered "texting"? smirk

Return to Top
#1261260 - 10/02/09 09:10 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... GuitarDude
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I would say yes GD; especially in the back seat of a bullet proof limo........

Return to Top
#1261314 - 10/02/09 09:57 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... HappyGilmore
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star

Texting and talking sans hands free were both outlawed in the past year or so in Cal. But man I wish someone would listen you Happy and outlaw this...

Return to Top
#1261345 - 10/02/09 10:47 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Skunk Boy
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Skunk Boy
Illinois passed a law effective Jan 1 that has:

No using cell phone without hands-free device in construction zones (City of Chicago already this law passed for the city limits).
No texting or emailing while driving. Only exception is GPS devices (I wonder if they count the Google Maps with GPS on my BlackBerry??).

The emailing part will however severely lower my productivity when I'm out of the office, cause usally when I'm out I'm in the car.

Sure it might, but surely your employer would not want you breaking the law? It's kind of like speeding. I used to rush around while traveling from office to office. Then I realized that my bank wasn't going to pay my speeding tickets anymore than they won't pay a ticket that I get if I am caught texting or emailing from my phone.

Since my employeer doesn't supply phones for anyone, forget it - they can reach me when I arrive at the next office. I've done the occasional conf. call from my cell, but they are getting fewer in number. If my distraction causes an accident, I'm pretty sure that the bank won't pay.

I used to work in and around the city, and I get the amount of time spent in the car, but, since they've passed the law I am turning off the cell phone more and more while driving.

Yes, I am technically on bank time, but the cell phone and the minutes and the money for tickets are mine.

Disclaimer - I should also mention that a cousin was killed in a construction zone a few years ago by someone on a cell phone.

Return to Top
#1261363 - 10/03/09 03:19 AM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... QCL
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
<--- has never texted (technologically inept) and does not answer the phone while driving.

Return to Top
#1261368 - 10/03/09 03:34 AM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... #Just Jay
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I sometimes get a little perturbed when I know someone is participating on a conference call while they are driving. I haven't done it yet, but I may start insisting that the person confirm they are pulled over or that someone else is driving. Otherwise, I'm getting off the call because I don't want to involved in an activity that can maim or kill someone.

Return to Top
#1261473 - 10/05/09 12:28 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... buggs
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
People really conference call when driving? Wow. Just wow.

There's a 50% chance on any given CC that I will fall asleep. I'm not mixing those chances with driving.

Return to Top
#1261487 - 10/05/09 01:23 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Buccs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I use hand-free when driving and often am on conference calls while driving home, I also use my cruise control so my speed is constant (60 mile commute each way, cruise set on 74), but I also have the keen ability to walk and chew gum at the same time, so it doesn't present an issue for me. If it is raining or traffic starts getting congested, I get off the call. If traveling for work, I also no long speed to get to one location from another, finally realized it just isn't worth the 38 second time saving that I was getting.

Return to Top
#1261492 - 10/05/09 01:35 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Greatest President ever!

While China and India are maneuvering to remove the US as the World's Reserve Currency (make no mistake - this will DEVASTATE our economy and our standard of living if we can't export our debt), our President is lobbying for the Olympics in Chicago (he's got to pay back those unions somehow), and taking vacations during the worst economic period since the Great Depression.

If this guy gets a second term, I will be completely depressed. Sadly, there's no one better on the other side of the aisle, either. It's hard to believe there was a time when people trusted the government...

Return to Top
#1261498 - 10/05/09 01:44 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... FBH
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
We need more red light cameras too!

Why has this not been addressed at the federal level?

Return to Top
#1261526 - 10/05/09 02:06 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... HappyGilmore
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
...but I also have the keen ability to walk and chew gum at the same time, so it doesn't present an issue for me...

I'm done for...

Return to Top
#1261594 - 10/05/09 03:05 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... QCL
Peepers Offline
10K Club
It's tricky texting on a phone with a qwerty keyboard while driving.

Return to Top
#1261603 - 10/05/09 03:17 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Peepers
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
did you get my text?

Return to Top
#1261620 - 10/05/09 03:36 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Miscuit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
missed it, I was probably disobeying a traffic law though

Return to Top
#1261630 - 10/05/09 03:47 PM Re: Obama bans texting while driving... Peepers
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
they haven't outlawed "that" yet...have they???

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2