BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#814968 - 09/13/07 10:15 PM Bad Day in Formula 1
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
McLaren Mercedes had the book thrown at them: $100 million fine and loss of this year's constructor's points.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070913194710.shtml

At least Fernando and Lewis get to keep their points and the race for the championship alive.

My question is, why didn't Ferrari receive a similar penalty?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#814974 - 09/13/07 10:21 PM Re: Bad Day in Formula 1 steven1950
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
What happened? Is this because of the one Guy who had a Ferrari spec book in his apartment?

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#815019 - 09/14/07 02:04 AM Re: Bad Day in Formula 1 *BUSTER*
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Originally Posted By: Maximus
What happened? Is this because of the one Guy who had a Ferrari spec book in his apartment?

Close. Evidently, a Ferrari engineer unhappy with his current job gave several hundred pages of Ferrari spec documents to an engineer at McLaren Mercedes. When Ron Dennis found out about it, he immediately suspended his engineer and notified the FIA. A hearing was held last spring, and McLaren Mercedes paid something like a $10 million fine. Closed case.

Early last week, it surfaced that two of the McLaren Mercedes drivers, Fernando Alonzo and Pedro de las Rosa, had exchanged emails where it could be inferred that they knew about the contents of some of the Ferrari documents. New hearing today; McLaren Mercedes gets a $100 million fine and loss of constructor's points this year.

Since it took two engineers to screw-up, why wasn't Ferrari penalized? Doesn't seem right to me.

I'll be watching the race this weekend on Speed TV; hopefully, the announcers will offer clearer insight into what happended today.

Return to Top