Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2077107 - 05/04/16 09:33 PM Weimaraner
ComplianceGuru89, CRCM Offline
I live in central Illinois and my wife and I are looking for a female Weimaraner puppy but haven't had any luck. The one's we have found are 1500 and up which I don't want to pay that much for a dog. Does anyone know of anything? I'm not looking for a show dog or anything fancy. It's only going to be a family dog that's loved and played with a lot.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2077109 - 05/04/16 09:40 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
http://great-lakes-weimaraner-rescue.com/
http://www.heartlandweimrescue.org/index.htm

Some of the dogs might be further away, but a road trip could still be cheaper than $1500! smile

Return to Top
#2077114 - 05/04/16 10:04 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'd second the rescue. Or ask the local shelter/pound to keep a watch for you.

I have one that we rescued a few years ago. She's 8 now and still very HIGH energy. Lot's of people get rid of them because they cant handle it. In my experience they are very much one person dogs. When we rescued her, my son wanted her to be "his dog". She's not. She's mine...I'm her person, no one can change that...well, my two year old grandson might have a chance if he was over more. She loves him.

They can also have anxiety issues if not properly exhausted with exercise. She's destroyed multiple beds when I slack off on running with her.

Return to Top
#2077132 - 05/05/16 04:20 AM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Crook, have you had any experience with this breed?
They're really not family dogs in the true sense of the word.
Have you taken any of the best breed for you tests available online?
I strongly urge you to do so if you haven't.
You put in things like how much time you're willing to spend exercising the dog daily, etc, and the tests match you with a breed that will work for your lifestyle.
Like Jen said, too many people get dogs that just aren't right for them.
These poor things end up in pounds and shelters through no fault of their own.

Return to Top
#2077155 - 05/05/16 12:40 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
This ^^^

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2077164 - 05/05/16 01:14 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
I've grown up with Weimaraners most of my life (I'm 26), and in my "teen" years Milly (a weimaraner) was my dog like Jen said, I was her person. Raised her from 8 weeks until about around 9. She passed 2-3 years ago, vet said she had cancer frown So I know what I'm getting into. The high energy, anxiety type. Just took me a few years to be ready for a puppy again since she was my dog.

Return to Top
#2077209 - 05/05/16 02:36 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Glad you know what you're getting into, Crook.
I would suggest that you delve a bit further before you go tho, especially if you and the wife are planning to expand your family.
Make sure this breed takes to babies. Hunting breeds, especially those that become one-person dogs, can find it hard to acclimate to someone taking their time and attention away.
If you could find it in your heart to get a rescue that has a few good years left in them, you could get a puppy after you start your family and give your child the same experience you had with Milly.
Just offering food for thought. My recent experience as a foster mom for a rescue group has exposed me to situations that I wasn't aware of previously making me more passionate when someone asks for advice on dogs.

Return to Top
#2077237 - 05/05/16 03:48 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
I'm open to the rescues, however I do have to make sure they work well with children (I have 2... a 5yd old and 5 month old) and also another dog (we have a German Shepperd that's 5). That's why I think a puppy would be better (under a year or 2). I think a puppy would be easier to acclimate to that sort of setting since the house is always moving. I feel like an older dog would be better in a more relaxed setting, not with a 5yr old constantly running a muck.

My mom ran a daycare out of her house when I was younger and our dogs (always a mix of a weim and shepperd or weim and lab) always did very well with the kids. The only problem we ever ran into was the kids wanted to play with the dogs but had to leave.

I appreciate your passion for the pups! I love dogs too, and it bothers me when people will get a dog as a gift and then once it grows up they can't handle it and move on. It's sad because to me a dog is family.

Return to Top
#2077242 - 05/05/16 04:06 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I can completely understand you wanting a younger one to comingle with your family. I was quite cautious with mine initially around the grandkids since she was about 6 when we got her and I didn't know her history, but she is GREAT with the grandsons. Actually better with them than anyone else. She lays patiently in the grass while the 2 year old colors on her with sidewalk chalk.

Return to Top
#2077253 - 05/05/16 04:26 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
When it comes to rescues, it's all about the individual dog. A great rescue organization will take the time to temperament the dog and get to know him or her so they can make a good match to a family or individual. I had a wonderful experience with the German Shepherd rescue from whom we just adopted our new girl. We were very clear about what was important (loves car rides, gets along with other dogs, not super high drive) and what was not important (we are never around kids, don't mind dealing with hip issues). With their help we found the perfect dog for our wants and needs. I may never get a puppy again - Zoe is a year and a half, old enough to be reliably potty trained, but young enough to still be exploring the world.

Return to Top
#2077266 - 05/05/16 05:25 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
...it bothers me when people will get a dog as a gift and then once it grows up they can't handle it and move on. It's sad because to me a dog is family.

The only thing I'd take issue with in your statement is use of the word 'can't.'
Unfortunately it has been my experience that 'won't' is the proper term.
Pets and kids need attention and must be considered a work in progress.
I can't tell you the number of times people have said to me 'oh your dogs are so well behaved! I wish mine would be like that.'
I so want to tell them (and often do!) that wishing won't get you anywhere. It takes training and practice. I train my dogs and reinforce that training all the time. I start working with the fosters right away too so they'll have the best chance possible at being adopted.

Good luck on your search. I've a 9mo old foster right now that would be perfect in a house with kids and babies. He's got the energy for a 5 year old but, thanks to training, is learning to settle quietly enough for a baby.

Return to Top
#2077274 - 05/05/16 06:04 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By Catch The Crook
I'm open to the rescues, however I do have to make sure they work well with children (I have 2... a 5yd old and 5 month old) and also another dog (we have a German Shepperd that's 5). That's why I think a puppy would be better (under a year or 2). I think a puppy would be easier to acclimate to that sort of setting since the house is always moving. I feel like an older dog would be better in a more relaxed setting, not with a 5yr old constantly running a muck.

I'm in the "it depends on the dog" camp. My dearly beloved (and now departed) Belle was wonderful with kids when she was a pup, but as the got older she began to fear them and could be snappy if surprised. Our heeler mix, on the other hand, is super dominant with other dogs and was 8 years old when we brought home our newborn son. We were a little nervous about how she would handle the baby in the house. To our (grateful) surprise, she immediately appointed herself his guardian. She sits with him, lets him climb all over her, and shares cookies with him even now that he's a rambunctious two-year old. I'd be more nervous of bringing a puppy in at this point, simply because a puppy wouldn't have the established manners and training of our two older dogs (the little mutt to the left there is 5 now).

Return to Top
#2077284 - 05/05/16 06:48 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
When I referenced to the "can't" take care of the dog, I meant more along the lines of them not caring and not giving the dog what it needs so of course dogs act out for attention and affection similar to how a child operates. You can't expect a dog or child to listen to you if you don't "listen" to them and give them what they need.

That's an interesting point regarding the mannerisms. I was viewing it more along the lines of easier to train and not having to "rewire" their minds so to speak. I know the county animal control director, so I'll get in touch with him and see what his thoughts are regarding the local rescues. Figured it's a good place to start at least.

Return to Top
#2077285 - 05/05/16 06:51 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
She does make a good point. I also have two rat terriers and they couldn't possibly be more different despite having similar upbringings. They are truly wired differently.

A friend has a weimie that is absolutely NOT good around children, even older children. He was raised in a bachelor pad type lifestyle, but I think it may be more personality than his upbringing.

Return to Top
#2077295 - 05/05/16 07:10 PM Re: Weimaraner RR Jen
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By RR Jen
I think it may be more personality than his upbringing.

That's really more my point - with an older dog, even a young adult, the personality is already developed and you can really see whether or not you will make a good match. With puppies - general breed characteristics aside - it's a complete and total cr@pshoot.

Return to Top
#2077348 - 05/06/16 11:23 AM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2077361 - 05/06/16 01:06 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
How did they mistake a bear for a dog?

Return to Top
#2077386 - 05/06/16 02:13 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be

Return to Top
#2077409 - 05/06/16 03:26 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
I could see if they thought a Tibetan Mastiff (sooo fluffy!!) but a Kunming wolfdog?

Return to Top
#2077425 - 05/06/16 04:15 PM Re: Weimaraner RR Jen
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
This Caucasian Overcharka is supposedly often mistaken for a bear.

Return to Top
#2077434 - 05/06/16 04:54 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
That's one scary picture, Truff.

Return to Top
#2077435 - 05/06/16 04:55 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Hummm...it just does not look Caucasian to me. I wonder if it falls under 'identifies with'. laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2077439 - 05/06/16 05:00 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
laugh laugh

Return to Top
#2077440 - 05/06/16 05:01 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
It could have something to do with stories his grandmother told him and the height of his cheekbones. wink

CAMS

Return to Top
#2077462 - 05/06/16 05:55 PM Re: Weimaraner ComplianceGuru89, CRCM
you guys/gals crack me up!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2