Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#110862 - 08/28/03 08:33 PM CIP and Estates
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
Can anyone direct me to a thread that has addressed what information will be gathered when an attorney opens an estate account? I feel that the attorney is the "person" opening the account and that we will have to collect his/her name, address, dob and TIN. This is completely separate from how that account will be set up, but seems to follow the logic of CIP. Any comments? Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#110863 - 08/28/03 09:51 PM Re: CIP and Estates
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Check state law on whether an estate is a legal entity. If it is, then the estate is the customer.

Return to Top
#110864 - 08/29/03 11:24 AM Re: CIP and Estates
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Previously existing BSA regulations define what is a "person:"

31CFR103.11(z) Person. An individual, a corporation, a partnership, a trust or estate...

The estate is the customer. It is the estate whose information you must obtain and whose identity you must verify. A copy of the court order appointing the personal representative (may or may not be an attorney) is your principal source of verification.

Return to Top
#110865 - 08/29/03 01:43 PM Re: CIP and Estates
KSK Offline
Gold Star
KSK
Kansas
I agree with Ken. Your letters from the court appointing the personal representative to/for the estate with be the documentation necessary for CIP purposes to open the account.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z