Skip to content
BOL Conferences

New Reply Thread Options
#1653044 - 01/19/12 06:20 PM Exception Hold Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can we place a seven day exception hold on a check and list the following reason:

"We believe a check you deposited will not be paid for the following reason: check is drawn on a canadian bank."

Doesn't seem to fit the true exception reasons to me, but thought I'd check with BOL.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1653048 - 01/19/12 06:08 PM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I agree, not a valid reason. You could refuse as a deposit item and accept for collection.

#1653098 - 01/19/12 06:54 PM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If it is drawn on a Canadian bank, 7 days is not going to do you any good. I have seen them take a month to come back. If you don't trust the check or the depositor, send it for collection only.

#1653246 - 01/19/12 09:09 PM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have also seen checks from Canada take longer than 7 days. I would send for collection and credit account once you have your credit.

#1653292 - 01/19/12 10:31 PM Re: Exception Hold Question BrendaC
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a new banker. How does the collection process work?

#1653294 - 01/19/12 10:36 PM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
This thread may shed some light on the topic:

Check Collection

#1653343 - 01/20/12 04:30 AM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Hello! If the check is drawn on a Canadian bank, it's not covered by Reg CC.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#1654026 - 01/20/12 10:52 PM Re: Exception Hold Question John Burnett
Anonymous
Unregistered

What makes you say this? How do you know....is this stated in the Regulation somewhere?

#1654042 - 01/20/12 11:03 PM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I've always presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the check had to have been issued by a bank in one of the 12 federal reserve districts for this regulation to apply. This was how we, in the past, determined if a check was local or non-local. If it wasn't issued by a bank in one of the fed districts, it was neither local nor non-local, and therefor not subject to the regulation.

#1654044 - 01/20/12 11:22 PM Re: Exception Hold Question Anonymous
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Correct Doug. It's not something that is expressly stated in the regs, you have to back into it. Look at the definition of a CHECK, then look at the definition of a BANK.

(k) Check means--
(1) A negotiable demand draft drawn on or payable through or at an office of a bank;
(2) A negotiable demand draft drawn on a Federal Reserve Bank or a Federal Home Loan Bank;
(3) A negotiable demand draft drawn on the Treasury of the United States;

(e) Bank means-- For purposes of subparts C of this part and, in connection therewith, this subpart A, the term bank also includes any person engaged in the business of banking, as well as a Federal Reserve Bank, a Federal Home Loan Bank, and a state or unit of general local government to the extent that the state or unit of general local government acts as a paying bank.

(1) An insured bank as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 18I3) or a bank that is eligible to apply to become an insured bank under section 5 of that Act (12 U.S.C. 1815);
(2) A mutual savings bank as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813);
(3) A savings bank as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813);
(4) An insured credit union as defined in section 101 of the Federal Credit Union Act (12 U.S.C. 1752) or a credit union that is eligible to make application to become an insured credit union under section 201 of that Act (12 U.S.C. 1781);
(5) A member as defined in section 2 of the Federal Home Loan Bank Act (12 U.S.C. 1422);
(6) A savings association as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813) that is an insured depository institution as defined in section 3 of that Act (12 U.S.C. 1813(c)(2)) or that is eligible to apply to become an insured depository institution under section 5 of that Act (12 U.S.C. 1815); or
(7) An agency or a branch of a foreign bank as defined in section l(b) of the International Banking Act (12 U.S.C. 3101).

IMHO, nothing is mentioned about Canada or anything outside of the country.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale