Skip to content
BOL Conferences

New Reply Thread Options
#1997421 - 02/20/15 09:49 PM MC max transaction prohibition
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is my understanding that MasterCard (and probably Visa) have prohibitions on merchants setting a maximum transaction amount for access to credit accounts, (refer to the MC Rules book, chapter 15, section 5.9.3). Every year around tax refund season I am in conflict with management about that rule. I understand they want to minimize losses from cash advances off credit cards, especially on non-customer, but I don't think you can limit non-customers (or customers) to a set amount. Has anyone else come up against this? How are you dealing with it?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1997426 - 02/20/15 09:59 PM Re: MC max transaction prohibition Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Refer to the December 2014 MasterCard Transaction Processing Rules . (see below) Note that if you impose a maximum, it must be imposed on customers and non-customers alike. As far as losses on transactions, as long as you follow MasterCard acceptance procedures, the acquirer will not be liable for fraudulent transactions. I will be discussing VISA/MC cash advance rules as well as a host of other card related rules and regulations next month at my webinar The Maze of Debit Card Compliance

Maximum Cash Disbursement Amounts
A Customer and each of its authorized cash disbursement agents may limit the amount of cash provided to any one Cardholder in one day at any individual office. Such limit may not be less than USD 5,000 per Cardholder in one day and uniformly must be applied to all Cardholders.
If compliance with this Rule would cause hardship to one or more (but not all) of such individual offices that are required or permitted to provide cash disbursement services, the Customer may establish a maximum cash disbursement amount of less than USD 5,000 per person in one day at each such office, provided that the maximum cash disbursement amount:.
Is not less than USD 1,000;.
Is not less than the maximum cash disbursement amount established for any other acceptance brand at the office; and3.
Applies only at those offices where the Customer can, if requested by MasterCard, demonstrate that a higher maximum would create a hardship.

#1997434 - 02/20/15 10:27 PM Re: MC max transaction prohibition Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Brian. So when does Chapter 15, section 5.9.3 of the transaction rules apply? It is specific to the US region and to credit cards not debit cards...

#1997439 - 02/20/15 10:45 PM Re: MC max transaction prohibition Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
It applies to merchants accepting cards for purchases. So if I want to pay for a $50,000 car with my credit card, the dealer can't tell me, "Sorry, we can only run it for $5,000."

#1997442 - 02/20/15 11:19 PM Re: MC max transaction prohibition BrianC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got it! Thanks again

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale