Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#58106 - 01/30/03 08:03 PM Rate Disclosures
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a situation where a customer is electing to open a savings account but does not want to earn interest (for religious purposes) Systematically the only way to accomodate this remove the interest code. Would we be required to have specific disclosures for this type of account. Would we be required to gain the customers signature stating they did not wish to have interest.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#58107 - 01/30/03 08:11 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
They'll do that when they agree to the terms of your contract/agreement. You'll state to them the APY, 0%, in the disclosures.

Unfortunately, that isn't much less than many customers get today anyway.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#58108 - 01/30/03 08:45 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I am just curious, what religion prohibits earning interest?

Return to Top
#58109 - 01/30/03 09:37 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't recall the religion, but we had the same thing on a physician some years back. I want to say they also had no debt.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#58110 - 01/30/03 10:06 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am told it is in relationship to Somali populations in Seattle and Minneapolis.

Return to Top
#58111 - 01/31/03 01:15 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I believe that Islam proscribes the charging of interest on loans, and Islamic banks have developed interesting ways to earn income when lending. Since much of Somalia's population is Islamic, perhaps you have found the connection. But I comment more out of ignorance that knowledge here.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#58112 - 01/31/03 06:01 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
I think a lot of customers, and not for religious purposes, would already feel that their accounts are not earning interest! Ha (Since rates are so low!)

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#58113 - 01/31/03 09:14 PM Re: Rate Disclosures
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Islamic religion prohibits the charging or collecting of interest..and in the event interest is collected, it must be donated to the poor...It is treated as a means of assisting the poor and bringing thier living standards up rather than the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.Of course this flies smack in the face of basic tenets of the banking industry, which like you say results in some pretty creative ways to go around it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett