Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#402931 - 08/12/05 08:52 PM Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I correct that the only regulatory requirement on an early withdrawal of a time deposit is the "loss of seven days interest on funds withdrawn within the first six days of deposit or withdrawn within six days of a previous partial withdrawal."

Has the old regulatory penalty for "nonpersonal time deposit accounts" with maturities of one and one half years or more disappeared? I can't seem to find it in Reg. D.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#402932 - 08/12/05 08:56 PM Re: Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's gone. Consigned to the scrapheap of history.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#402933 - 08/12/05 09:02 PM Re: Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is the only penalty the one I mentioned in the first sentence?

Return to Top
#402934 - 08/12/05 09:19 PM Re: Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is the only penalty the one I mentioned in the first sentence?

Yep. That's it.

Return to Top
#402935 - 08/12/05 09:21 PM Re: Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yippie! I can go home now. Thanks again.

Return to Top
#1749118 - 10/12/12 10:09 PM Re: Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties Anonymous
NHBankGuy Offline
NHBankGuy
Manchester, NH
Sorry to resurrect this post, but the OCC exam manual still references the penalty on 18 month nonpersonal CDs. From page 5 of the Depository Services booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook:

"NOTE: For reporting purposes only, other time deposits are normally classified as short-term deposits. If the deposit has a maturity of 18 months or more and one month’s simple interest early withdrawal penalty is imposed for withdrawals made between day seven and the end of month 18, instead of the normal seven days penalty, the deposit may be classified as a long-term deposit."

It looks like this requirement went by the wayside when the FRB changed the reserve rate on nonpersonal time deposits to 0. I would just like to find something from the FRB or another regulator that confirms that. Any ideas?

Return to Top
#1749122 - 10/12/12 10:38 PM Re: Reg. D - Early Withdrawal Penalties Anonymous
NHBankGuy Offline
NHBankGuy
Manchester, NH
Never mind - found it! 61 CFR 69020 (12/31/96) is the notice repealing the requirement. Strange that the OCC still has it in their Comptroller's Handbook 16 years after its repeal!

Have a great weekend...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett