Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply
Post Icon
Smilies Insert Link Insert Email Link Insert Image Link Insert Media Tag List Bold Italic Underline Strike-through Spoiler Quote Font Color Fonts Font Size
Make textarea smaller
Make textarea bigger
Post Options

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.
Poll Manager (Total Polls: 0)

In Response To:
Thread Starter: David Dickinson
Title: Re: REQUIRED "Team Building"

Good discussion Richard. I think this is turning into a great dialogue from which we all gain!

I appreciate your comments about Banker's Compliance Consulting and our culture and it has made our business successful, but my comments go far beyond it. I teach on Culture & Organizational Health as much as I teach specific regulatory topics. It's actually more of my passion and, as I get older, something I believe I have more wisdom to fall back on as I've lived it out. I teach Culture at the ABA Compliance Graduate School, at numerous State and National conferences and for many organizations. In fact, I'm headed to Orlando today to speak at the Farm Credit Services Home Lending Conference where I'm giving a keynote presentation on this very topic. IOW, culture is important for ALL Team Members, not just those on salary. I don't think you disagree with that.

Quote:
"If the BOD and executive management determine that unpaid afterhours departmental bowling and brews outings are good corporate policy, then ALL middle managers should be told to set up afterhours activities. What the OP describes sounds more like a single middle manager who's freelancing with employment performance standards that are not supported by corporate policy.

It would be nice if the BOD and Exec Mgt established this policy. But what if they haven't? I get asked at almost every presentation/consultation on this topic "Shouldn't this start at the top?" and "What if my boss doesn't do these types of things? I'm not the leader, how can I change the culture?" My response to all of these is "Change what you can." Could it be that this middle manager is doing just that? The manager is trying to change the culture of his/her department. Maybe Sr. Mgt/BOD gave their permission or maybe they don't know about it at all. Either way, does that discount what the OP's manager is trying to do?

You mention activities need to "explained prior to employment". Really? With that mentality, there can't be any changes to how we work. You're right that some employees may be dissatisfied. Obviously the OP's manager is trying to make a change. Some people are simply against change and like to complain. That's why I said in my first post, that I would find a new Team Member.

My best advise is for the OP to talk to this manager and find out what the intentions and expectations are. Communication is the key to strong organizational health. Talking to us about it does no good and may cause more disunity.

Your comments about the effects test: I understand your point. I'll say it again:
Many people talk about how they wish their company's culture was better and how they wish their boss would treat them better. Leaders need to know their Team Members on a personal level to lead them well. How else is your leader supposed to get to know you better unless you'll spend time with them outside fo work? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You also said "a forced social gathering does nothing to discourage imprudent risk-taking, unethical behavior, or compliance with laws, regulations, and sound banking practices." I believe an organization with a strong culture is absolutely going to have less unethical behavior and will discourage imprudent risk-taking. Why? Because [b]a "healthy" Team has members that trust one another, hold each other accountable, discuss unhealthy behaviors and decisions and then commit to healthier decisions that provide the best results. (Please read that last sentence again and again to fully understand what my entire point).