Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply
Post Icon
Smilies Insert Link Insert Email Link Insert Image Link Insert Media Tag List Bold Italic Underline Strike-through Spoiler Quote Font Color Fonts Font Size
Make textarea smaller
Make textarea bigger
Post Options

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.
Poll Manager (Total Polls: 0)

In Response To:
Thread Starter: Adam Witmer
Title: Re: I just forgot how to do a CTR!?!

Originally Posted by GrannieTwo
How did B benefit?

B benefits by being a joint owner. See CTR FAQ 23:

How do I properly complete Part I on the FinCEN CTR for deposits into a joint account? What amounts do we show in Item 21 for each Part I? For example, John and Jane Smith have a joint account together. John Smith deposited $5,000 into the account; later in the same business day, Jane Smith deposited $7,000 into the account.

When a deposit is made into a joint account, the deposit is presumed to be made on the behalf of all account holders because all account holders have potential access to the account balance, and multiple Part Is are required. In this example, the financial institution would complete four Part Is, two for John Smith and two for Jane Smith since each person has more than one Item 2 role.

One of the Part Is for John Smith would be completed by checking 2a "Person conducting transaction on own behalf" and entering $5,000 into Item 21 and the account number of the joint account. The other Part I for John Smith would be completed by checking 2c "Person on whose behalf transaction was conducted" and entering $7,000 into Item 21 and the account number of the joint account. One of the Part Is for Jane Smith would be completed by checking 2a "Person conducting transaction on own behalf" and entering $7,000 into Item 21 and the account number of the joint account. The other Part I for Jane would be completed by checking 2c "Person on whose behalf transaction was conducted" and entering $5,000 into Item 21 and the account number of the joint account.

Note: If Jane Smith did not conduct a deposit, but John Smith deposited $12,000 into the joint account, there would only be two Part Is. One Part I would be for John Smith as 2a "Person conducting transaction on own behalf" and entering $12,000 in Item 21 and the account number affected. The other Part I would be for Jane smith, checking 2c "Person on whose behalf transaction was conducted," entering $12,000 in Item 21, and providing the account number affected.