Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply
Post Icon
Smilies Insert Link Insert Email Link Insert Image Link Insert Media Tag List Bold Italic Underline Strike-through Spoiler Quote Font Color Fonts Font Size
Make textarea smaller
Make textarea bigger
Post Options

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.
Poll Manager (Total Polls: 0)

In Response To:
Thread Starter: Anonymous
Title: Re: People skills/COUCH

I would have immediately (repeatedly if necessary) responded with a simple "I can't say that I share that viewpoint!" in an equally loud voice directly to her, with a look of surprise/shock at her ugly comments, when she said such things in a public forum. I would have then gone right back to taking notes, looking directly at the speaker, etc. It may not have made you this svp's favorite person, but it would have preserved your dignity & professionalism and made your point that you weren't going to partake in the Rudeness Festival, while your actions quietly reinforced the idea that you were there for the class only.

Depending upon the comfort level in your working relationship, you might consider simply going to her in private, now that this incident is in the past, and telling her that the remarks she made, loud enough for others to hear, made you feel uncomfortable. State this calmly and in as friendly a manner as possible. Open the dialogue honestly and unapologetically, and see how she reacts. Take a problem-solving approach, avoid directly accusing her of being rude (this will rarely, if ever, be well-received by anyone, let alone your career superiors), and approach it from your own standpoint. This is an experience you had which made you feel uncomfortable: how can it be avoided in future?