Return to Top
#1049601 - 09/24/08 06:49 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Peepers
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: Mr. Peepers
he ws no Craig Nettles

Correction. Craig Nettles was no Mike Schmidt.

Nettles: .248BA, 390HR, 2 gold gloves, 1 ALCS MVP, 4 League MVP, 6 All-Star Appearances

Schmidt: .267 BA, 548 HR, 10 gold gloves, 6 silver sluggers, 1 World Series MVP, 12 League MVPs, 12 All-Star Appearances. Schmidt also played 4 fewer seasons...

Nettles couldn't be Schmidt's bat boy.

Return to Top
#1049618 - 09/24/08 07:00 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt FBH
Peepers Offline
10K Club
he's no Rusell Branyon then (I could go on like this all day )

Return to Top
#1049629 - 09/24/08 07:05 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Peepers
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Being from Philadelphia, I am quite prejudiced in favor of Schmidty. He made the game fun, when there wasn't always too much to cheer about for Philly fans.

Return to Top
#1049895 - 09/24/08 10:08 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt FBH
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: FBH
12 League MVPs

Uh, I'm gonna want to see some evidence on that one.

But the greatest third baseman ever to play in Philly is Scott Rolen, that's for sure.

Return to Top
#1049904 - 09/24/08 10:14 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Jokerman
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Brooks R. was a better fielder than Schmidt

but I am old and my fav was Pie Traynor

Return to Top
#1050050 - 09/25/08 11:56 AM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Pale Rider
Jessilynn Offline
100 Club
Ok Ok I'll bite...

ARod

Return to Top
#1050051 - 09/25/08 11:58 AM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Jokerman
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
12 League MVPs

But the greatest third baseman ever to play in Philly is Scott Rolen, that's for sure.

My mistake, he was league MVP 3 times, but nominated 12 times... http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schmimi01.shtml

Scott Rolen is good (nowhere in the same universe as Schmidt), but he is hated in Philly.

Brooks Robinson is a credible comparison, as is George Brett. Schmidt's still the greatest, but then again, I saw him play more than any other third baseman.
Last edited by FBH; 09/25/08 11:59 AM.

Return to Top
#1050052 - 09/25/08 12:00 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Jessilynn
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Jessilynn
Ok Ok I'll bite...

ARod

When his career is over, he might be. I still think of him as a SS.

Return to Top
#1050082 - 09/25/08 12:53 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt FBH
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
As a lifelong resident of KC, I'll take George Brett.

You cannot argue with Schmidt's power numbers, but Brett was the best clutch hitter I ever saw. Simply a joy to watch.

Return to Top
#1050105 - 09/25/08 01:17 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt FBH
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
12 League MVPs

My mistake, he was league MVP 3 times, but nominated 12 times... http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schmimi01.shtml

There's no nomination process. The writers can write in whomever they wish on their ballot. You must mean that he received votes 12 times - which really isn't too big a deal (Pujols has received votes every year of his career). But in reality, I don't have much of an argument with your selection.

Quote:
Scott Rolen is good (nowhere in the same universe as Schmidt), but he is hated in Philly.

What? You guys don't like him over there? Didn't know that...

Return to Top
#1050125 - 09/25/08 01:27 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Jokerman
Madawaska Offline
100 Club
VA
I'm grew up in the suburbs of Philly and loved to watch the Phillies play at Vet Stadium. My friends and I used to drive past Mike Schmidt's house all the time in hopes of catching a glimpse of him, which we did on several occasions.

My favorite Phillie of all time is Larry Bowa.

It's hard to believe Vet Stadium has been imploded, and a new stadium is in it's place now.

I'm currently living in the KC area and attended a Royals game last week. I just couldn't get into cheering for the Royals. I'm a Phillies fan forever!

Return to Top
#1050164 - 09/25/08 02:20 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Madawaska
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Madawaska
I'm grew up in the suburbs of Philly and loved to watch the Phillies play at Vet Stadium. My friends and I used to drive past Mike Schmidt's house all the time in hopes of catching a glimpse of him, which we did on several occasions.

My favorite Phillie of all time is Larry Bowa.

It's hard to believe Vet Stadium has been imploded, and a new stadium is in it's place now.

I'm currently living in the KC area and attended a Royals game last week. I just couldn't get into cheering for the Royals. I'm a Phillies fan forever!

It's kind of wild - the parking lot where the Vet used to be still has the statues on each corner, as if the ghosts of the park still roam the lot. Although I get nostalgic about the big concrete donut that was the Vet, Citizens Bank Park is a much nicer stadium. It's open, there's not a bad seat in the house, and you have a great view of the city from center field on clear days.

I do miss walking the endless ramp from the 700 level down to the parking lot though...I don't know why!

P.S. Rolen is not well liked because he was not the team leader as Philly expected him to be. He also complained about Bowa's management style...and it's hard to bash Bowa in this town. The guy has a fire and wants to win...And Philly is starving for a championship.
Last edited by FBH; 09/25/08 02:22 PM.

Return to Top
#1050168 - 09/25/08 02:24 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Madawaska
CUCompliance Offline
CUCompliance
Central New York State
Madawaska, I'm right with you: transplanted Philadelphian in central New York, lifelong Phillies fan, loved Schmitty, Bowa, the whole 1980 World Series winning team, and also the 1993 almost-World Series winning team, missing all the Philly foods (cheesesteaks, Tastykakes, soft pretzels, etc.) Fortunately, most of my family still lives in Phily and the suburbs so I get to go home every so often. I took my husband to Citizens Bank Park for our 15th wedding anniversary this past May, we saw the Phillies and got our fill of all the great Philly food.

Did you read that Schmitty came to see the Phillies last weekend when they were playing the Markins, to give them his support? Pretty nice.

Return to Top
#1050242 - 09/25/08 03:11 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt CUCompliance
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I agree, Schmidt by a nose over Brett and Robinson. As a Pirate fan, I'll give a vote to Bill Madlock, and I was always a Matt Williams fan. There are some real good young third basemen now.

When was the last time Rolen had a good year? The guy is always hurt. He has made a lot of money off of a couple of good years.

Return to Top
#1050273 - 09/25/08 03:26 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Bankster
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
another old timer I loved, Eddie Matthews; not as good as Schmidt, but an all around good guy

Return to Top
#1050288 - 09/25/08 03:37 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Pale Rider
Madawaska Offline
100 Club
VA
CUCompliance,

I was at the 1993 world series game at the Vet, when Mitch Williams (was that his name?) threw a 5 run lead causing the Phillies to lose the game, and eventually the series. I remember there were numerous death threats out on him after that game.

Return to Top
#1050378 - 09/25/08 04:26 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Madawaska
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
The Royals have obviously not been good for a very long time. it is difficult to have any optimism about the future.

The Brett, White and McRae years are rembered fondly in these parts.

I also remember the 1980 World Series very well. I think Willie Wilson set a WS record for strikeouts.

Return to Top
#1050484 - 09/25/08 05:11 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Madawaska
CUCompliance Offline
CUCompliance
Central New York State
Madawaska, I remember Mitch Williams getting death threats, what a disgrace! My Dad now lives in Florida, and during the 1993 series, we would mail him copies of the Inquirer and Daily News, along with all the Phillies memorabilia we could get our hands on. I worked in Center City and seeing the Phillies cap on top of Billy Penn's head every day was a great treat. (I didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry.)

I do agree that Mike Schmidt was the greatest 3rd baseman I've ever seen, although Brooks Robinson was pretty darn good, too.

Return to Top
#1050506 - 09/25/08 05:23 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt CUCompliance
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
♪ john jacob jingleheimer schmidt
that's my name too

whenever we go out
the people always shout

john jacob jingleheimer schmidt
LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA ♪

Return to Top
#1050516 - 09/25/08 05:28 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Bailey.
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
As much as I do not care for his personality, I'd have to go with A-Rod over Schmidt.

Return to Top
#1050519 - 09/25/08 05:30 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt TheManofSteel
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
ARod does have pretty eyes.

Return to Top
#1050534 - 09/25/08 05:41 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt Bailey.
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Bailey.
ARod does have pretty eyes.

My GF spouts the same nonsense about him

Return to Top
#1050555 - 09/25/08 05:58 PM Re: Michael Jack Schmidt TheManofSteel
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
girlfriend... yeah right!