Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1093758 - 12/08/08 10:34 PM Loan stated purpose for BSA compliance?
complyyes Offline
Midwest
For BSA/AML compliance, do all loans (or loans > 10,000) need a purpose stated on the application to comply? We require the lenders to insure that the purpose of the loan is stated per our internal lending procedures. However, I want to know if the purpose is left incomplete on the application, is it also a BSA/AML finding?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1093822 - 12/08/08 11:29 PM Re: Loan stated purpose for BSA compliance? complyyes
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
It doesn't necessarily have to be stated on the application form itself if you have it documented somewhere else. The key is to have it documented in a fashion that you can demonstrate compliance. In other words, don't lose it.

Return to Top
#1094058 - 12/09/08 03:32 PM Re: Loan stated purpose for BSA compliance? complyyes
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
It applies to extensions of credit over $10,000 unless it is secured by an interest in real property.

Return to Top
#1113094 - 01/17/09 02:23 AM Re: Loan stated purpose for BSA compliance? Ted Dreyer
It Depends... Offline
New Poster
Does the >$10,000 threshold apply to loans only, or does it apply to lines of credit as well?

Return to Top
#1113112 - 01/17/09 01:11 PM Re: Loan stated purpose for BSA compliance? It Depends...
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
A line of credit is an extension of credit, so the answer is yes.

Return to Top
#1113192 - 01/19/09 01:12 PM Re: Loan stated purpose for BSA compliance? complyyes
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
We require the lenders to insure that the purpose of the loan is stated per our internal lending procedures.

As noted, the regulation does not require a statement of purpose on all loans or stipulate where the information should be recorded. However, if your own policy requires it on all loans then a failure to obtain it on any loan could/should be listed as a criticism in a BSA/AML examination.

"Personal" or "business" is not a statement of purpose. The description should be adequate to allow a reviewer to "chase proceeds" and compare the borrower's use of the funds to the stated purpose of the loan.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z