Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#1106444 - 01/06/09 10:49 PM The Shack
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Anyone read this book? My in-laws gave it to us at Christmas and want everyone in the family to read it. Then I learn that our Sunday School class is going to start a series of study on the book (I haven't been able to attend in awhile since I am involved in the Music Ministry of the church.) But I was just wondering what others had to say about it. I hope to read the first couple of chapters before we start on Sunday morning.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1106494 - 01/07/09 12:58 AM Re: The Shack Queen Mum
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I looked at this in the bookstore a couple of months ago and the "triggering event" in the story line was a little too grim for me to deal with at the time. But I have heard good things about it and I intend to read it this month.

Return to Top
#1106515 - 01/07/09 07:29 AM Re: The Shack rainman
joyfulone Offline
CA
I thought this was a very good book. I don't have a religious background, but it was recommended to me by a good friend and also by a co-worker. Both who go to church. I wasn't sure I would "get it", but it definately made an impact on me. I think this is a good book for everyone regardless of their beliefs.

Return to Top
#1106519 - 01/07/09 01:01 PM Re: The Shack joyfulone
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I've been told that it is very thought provoking. Our Wednesday night Bible study class studied a book that presumably stated what Presbyterians believe. We were so irritated with the "expert" who wrote that book - we didn't agree but in our discussion of his points we did consolidate exactly what it is we DO believe. This book is one of those types of books as I understand it.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1106573 - 01/07/09 02:08 PM Re: The Shack waldensouth
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I LOVE this book.

LOVE it.

Gave it to my sister. She read it and gave it to her mother in law. She read it and gave it to a friend...it keeps going. I agree with joyfulone...all of those in my circle that read it practice different demoninations of christianity, and all loved it.

Return to Top
#1106593 - 01/07/09 02:21 PM Re: The Shack QCL
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Ok, I am going to give you an different point of view of the book. Interesting story but terrible theology from a christian point of view. The way the Trinity is describe is totally unchristian. The book basically says that all paths lead to God, which isn't christian. There is alot wrong with the theology of the book. Yes, I know it is fiction but the book is filled with theology.

Here is some links to detailed reviews of The Shack.

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/a-review-of-the-shack-download-it-here.php

http://www.leadingtheway.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sto_TheShack_Uncovered

Return to Top
#1106620 - 01/07/09 02:49 PM Re: The Shack Creditcop
GerryLover71 Offline
100 Club
GerryLover71
In Limbo....
I agree with you CreditCop. I was looking forward to reading it, but it was strange. While I enjoyed reading of the main characters path that eventually led to God, the rest of the "characters" that comprised the "Trinity" were a bit extreme. I kept thinking it was a work of fiction and to think of it any other way is just too far-fetched for me. I would recommend "90 Minutes In Heaven" over "The Shack" any day. Just one person's opinion...for what it's worth.

Return to Top
#1106830 - 01/07/09 05:33 PM Re: The Shack GerryLover71
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
I agree with Creditcop to some degree - the theology was sketchy to say the least. Given that it was fiction I felt like I was able to glean some interesting insights and mental pictures from the book so I really enjoyed it. I don't think, though, that I would recommend it to someone who wanted to what Christianity was all about.

Return to Top
#1106944 - 01/07/09 06:58 PM Re: The Shack Confused Banker
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Originally Posted By: Confused Banker
I agree with Creditcop to some degree - the theology was sketchy to say the least. Given that it was fiction I felt like I was able to glean some interesting insights and mental pictures from the book so I really enjoyed it. I don't think, though, that I would recommend it to someone who wanted to what Christianity was all about.

"The theology was sketchy"?---the book describes the Trinity, salvation, what happened at the cross, sin, judgment, etc. There is theology (wrong theology IMO) throughout the book. The theology of the book is universalism.

Return to Top
#1107050 - 01/07/09 08:30 PM Re: The Shack Confused Banker
A_G Offline
10K Club
Confused - I see you're not new here, per say, but perhaps posting you are.

You're not allowed to have views on religion, unless they come from the Pope's mouth. Your own viewpoints will not be tolerated.

::detect sarcasm font::

Return to Top
#1107051 - 01/07/09 08:31 PM Re: The Shack Creditcop
A_G Offline
10K Club
Although this thread has made me interested in The Shack. I'll have to see if I can find it on Amazon.

Return to Top
#1107061 - 01/07/09 08:42 PM Re: The Shack A_G
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Me too, AG. My sister has been going on and on about it, but she has lately been on a big ol' "save Becca" mission and I thought this was another point in her plot. If it is actually interesting and reads like fiction instead of trying to 'teach me a lesson' I might take a look at it. If I want to be taught, I'll read self-help...otherwise, I much prefer my escapism - thanks. smile

Return to Top
#1107064 - 01/07/09 08:45 PM Re: The Shack RR Becca
A_G Offline
10K Club
Here's the product description from Amazon:

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.
Against his better judgment he arrives as the shack on a wintry afternoon and walk back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book.

Sounds worthwhile to me.

Return to Top
#1107069 - 01/07/09 08:54 PM Re: The Shack A_G
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Maybe.

I've got a pretty hefty TBR pile already, so we'll see what happens when I get to the bottom of that.

Return to Top
#1107070 - 01/07/09 08:57 PM Re: The Shack RR Becca
A_G Offline
10K Club
ditto

Return to Top
#1107199 - 01/07/09 11:03 PM Re: The Shack A_G
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I also saw it at Wal-Mart for $10.95 last night. You can also order it from Christianbooks.com cheaper than other places probably.

Return to Top
#1107639 - 01/08/09 05:49 PM Re: The Shack A_G
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Confused - I see you're not new here, per say, but perhaps posting you are.

You're not allowed to have views on religion, unless they come from the Pope's mouth. Your own viewpoints will not be tolerated.

::detect sarcasm font::

Thanks for the tip, AG! Sorry that I did not word my concerns strongly enough, CC, because as I said there are many points on which I agree with you. I just did not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater - I felt that there were a number of images/statements/illustrations that could be gleaned from the book. Thanks to both of you for your opinions!

Return to Top