Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#112125 - 09/04/03 04:49 PM RESPA - Section 8 Payments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it a RESPA Section 8 violation for a lender to pay a builder for the following:

(1) periodic access to the builder's manager and sales meetings and open houses for the purpose of the lender to promote its product line to the builder’s employees, representatives and customers?

(2) monthly evaluation reports provided by the builder on the lender's representative performance? The rep offices in the builder's place of business (assume fair market value rent is paid).

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#112126 - 09/05/03 12:06 AM Re: RESPA - Section 8 Payments
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
If the amount paid is reasonably related to the service provided you are probably OK. If it is not and there are referrals betwen the two entities you probably have a Section 8 violation. Key will be documenting how you determined fair value is given.

Return to Top
#112127 - 09/05/03 08:49 PM Re: RESPA - Section 8 Payments
Compliance Poster Offline
Gold Star
Susan,
Steve's assessment appears technically correct to me based on the regulatory considerations. However, I would like to add that since a Section 8 violation could mean time in the slammer, I personally wouldn't greenlight the arrangments you mentioned. HUD's viewpoints over the years have not been a model of consistency.

Pat

Patrick T. Hubbs, CRCM, CBCO

Return to Top
#112128 - 09/05/03 10:01 PM Re: RESPA - Section 8 Payments
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Incidentally, has anyone ever heard of anyone doing jail time (or being criminally proscecuted period) for a RESPA violation? I have not. Not that I'm planning to test the possibility, but I am curious, since I have often over the years stressed in training that "this is a crime".

Return to Top
#112129 - 09/05/03 10:32 PM Re: RESPA - Section 8 Payments
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love to include in my compliance training the penalties, both civil and criminal, for noncompliance. However, when I see the criminal penalties for violations, it always raises a chuckle when I mention the possibility of doing serious time for Reg Z violations. I can hear the jailhouse conversation now...."what are in for, robbery, murder?" "No, failing to provide accurate truth in lending disclosures."

Return to Top
#112130 - 09/08/03 01:48 AM Re: RESPA - Section 8 Payments
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
RESPA Section 8 = "Buy a donut, go to jail."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z